My first live Lubuntu Hirsute Hippo

If the integrity check succeeded, then it may be an issue of not enough resources. Otherwise, if it froze during or even near the end of the check, that may indicate a problem. Making use of zsync and/or manually checking the hashes on the ISO can confirm the integrity.

1 Like

It passed the check and I threw 8 GB of RAM and 2 cores at it.

Lemme download it again and try it on bare metal.

zsync worked. I ended up with a ~2 GB file. I tried first with Rufus, twice. I tried with uNetbootin - which only got me to a blinking cursor. I am now trying mkusb. I’ll try dd next. Hmm… mkusb uses dd, so that’s out of the question.

So far, no luck. I get even less far. This is now on bare metal. It’s an older dual-core AMD w/16 GB of RAM and an SSD. I know Lubuntu 18.04 works on it, as that’s installed on it at this moment in time. It installed with nary a hitch - and runs surprisingly well on that hardware.

Before I make any claims, I want to eliminate me as the problem.

I am going to give it a clean download one more time. I’ll also try it on different hardware.

LOL I may need some hand-holding until I’m fully onboard.

Since it is a moving target when in development, there could be a catastrophic failure of some kind. Did you try Groovy?

I have played with Groovy, but not tested it in any significant capacity. Groovy works just fine on that hardware. It’s not even slow. It’s surprisingly snappy, considering the age of the hardware.

It’s just this particular ISO that’s causing me issues.

http://iso.qa.ubuntu.com/qatracker/milestones/419/builds/223057/downloads

That is the correct one, yes?

There is this warning:

WARNING: This image is OVERSIZED. This should never happen during milestone testing.

You know what’s weird is that I can’t seem to get zsync to behave. It’s as if there’s some sort of network issue. Using HTTP rather than HTTPS, it’s a little more cranky but works as expected. Something is strange.

…but after downloading, everything worked fine in VirtualBox. So may be some issue on your end.

I’ve got my hirsute script running

#!/bin/sh
rm *.old
rm hirsute*manifest
mv hirsute-desktop-amd64.iso.zsync hirsute-desktop-amd64.iso.zsync.old
wget http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/lubuntu/daily-live/current/hirsute-desktop-amd64.iso.zsync
wget http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/lubuntu/daily-live/current/hirsute-desktop-amd64.manifest
zsync -u http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/lubuntu/daily-live/current/hirsute-desktop-amd64.iso  hirsute-desktop-amd64.iso.zsync

When it completes, and is written (dus or mkusb) to thumb-drive I’ll give it a quick spin on a couple of old c2d and like boxes.

It was booted successfully on

• hp dc7700 (c2d-e6320, 5gb, nvidia quadro nvs 290)
  • dell [optiplex] 755 (c2d-e6850, 5gb, amd/ati radeon rv516/x1300/x1550)
  • dell [optiplex] 755 (c2d-e8300, 8gb, amd/ati radeon rv610/radeon hd2400 pro/xt)
  • dell [optiplex] 780 (c2q-q9400, 8gb, amd/ati cedar radeon hd 5000/6000/7350/8350)
  • hp 8200 elite sff (i5-2400, 8gb, nvidia quadro 600)

Right. HTTP behaved, HTTPS did not.

lubuntu@lubuntu:~$ cat /etc/*-release DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu DISTRIB_RELEASE=21.04 DISTRIB_CODENAME=hirsute DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu Hirsute Hippo (development branch)" NAME="Ubuntu" VERSION="21.04 (Hirsute Hippo)" ID=ubuntu ID_LIKE=debian PRETTY_NAME="Ubuntu Hirsute Hippo (development branch)" VERSION_ID="21.04" HOME_URL="https://www.ubuntu.com/" SUPPORT_URL="https://help.ubuntu.com/" BUG_REPORT_URL="https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/" PRIVACY_POLICY_URL="https://www.ubuntu.com/legal/terms-and-policies/privacy-policy" VERSION_CODENAME=hirsute UBUNTU_CODENAME=hirsute

Tada!

1 Like

So what ending up being the problem? Just needed more patience?

I am not sure. In some instances, it was stopping at just saying GRUB in the upper left on boot. That was with the rsync file. I downloaded it fresh, from the web using my browser, and then booted and it went to a blinking cursor - after the grub menu.

I ended up waiting about five minutes with the blinking cursor and then it turned into the 8 bit graphics type of thing where it didn’t look like the normal file checking screen. I let that complete and then a couple of minutes the screen popped up. Those times are rough estimates and not exaggerated.

It was much, much longer booting than it should be - even for booting from USB.

It never worked in VirtualBox, but I haven’t tried VBox with this newly downloaded ISO.

For some reason, I think the rsync’ed file was corrupt, but I was under the impression that shouldn’t happen.

Yeah one of the steps to zsync is actually checking the hashes. It’s like a necessary part of the protocol, just as error checking is a necessary part of torrents.

That said, bizarre, but oh well. :slight_smile:

1 Like

It works now. It also made me make a few changes. I can dedicate an entire desktop to testing, so can do so consistently. It’s an i5 with maybe 16 gigs of RAM and an SSD. It’ll be suitable. I don’t use it for anything. In fact, I just got rid of one just like it.

All that and I have nothing to report!

Also, I’m subscribed to all the mailing lists already. I’ve been there for years. I don’t normally post. I’m the ‘uninvolved@outlook.com’ (David) on the lists. I must have been subscribed for five years now, somewhere in that area.

Is the chat used often? I’m not a huge chat fan.

1 Like

The mailing lists are largely pretty quiet unless we’re doing announcements, calls for testing, etc. Most of the regular coordination and stuff happens in chat. We’ve got folks on there via IRC, Telegram, and Matrix, so there’s lots of options.

2 Likes

Thanks. I am flipping back through some of the mailing list emails right now, actually.

LOL I think I know which one is you! Well, that’s going by initials, so it might be coincidental.

I’ll swing by chat sometime, but definitely not tonight.

Thanks again. I hope this isn’t a waste of your time, meaning I’ll do what I can to help.

Oh, I’m sure you found me. The email should be a dead giveaway.

Anywho, help is what we need. Read the docs on our Phabricator wiki and let us know how we can help you help us.

P.S. Your help providing support on this site has already been extremely valuable.

3 Likes

LOL There’s a lot I don’t know. I’ve never actually tried to help a distro beta test before. I’ve used beta versions just to see what’s different, but I’ve never formally reported bugs nor have I done so with intent to really help the distro.

In this case, I am making a personal commitment to test for the entire duration of 21.04. I can and will do that. I do not know if I will continue beyond that. However, I’m committing to learn the process and to actually report bugs as found and in the proper manner. I can give 2 to 5 hours per week. Maybe a little more, maybe a little less some weeks. But, I’ll commit to doing so for the entirety of this release.

Even if it turns out that I hate it! :grinning: If I like it, I’ll keep on going with the next release.

Nah, I’m sure I’ll enjoy it, have some fun, and learn new things. Lubuntu has given me years of sensible, consistently quality operating systems. I can give back some time. Besides, I like breaking stuff. At heart, I’m just a giant five year old.

I can also write reasonably coherently. Verbosity is an issue, but I may be of some assistance with documentation in the future. We’ll cross that bridge when we get to it. We’ll see how well I take to beta testing and go from there.

3 Likes

I’ll provide a link to this post

I wrote a little about how we’ve used our [currently] one active install testcase to report the many variations we have on our checklist.

Note: this early in the cycle, the checklist of installs doesn’t matter that much; we try & complete all variations though regularly & very regularly late in the cycle. I’m not a good writer sorry.

I wrote a little about live testing at

but it’s actually better if we’re not all doing the same things, but doing it our own way, or using it as we do ourselves. The purpose of it was in hopes of getting more people testing, giving people ideas (not scaring them off with my poor writing)

I realize you’ve already seen at least one of my posts, but I’m providing in case helpful. I’ll (along with everyone else) will help whenever we can, and thank you for helping make Lubuntu better :grinning:.

2 Likes

I’ll do what I can and we’ll see where it goes. As mentioned above, I will obligate myself to do this testing for the duration of this release. I’m usually pretty good about being true to my word, so it’s very likely true.

I make this commitment because I want you to be aware that any hand-holding time invested will not be in vain. I appreciate the help and I will have questions. So, in return, I’ll obligate myself to doing this for the duration.

I have no idea what I’ll do at the end. I’m quite likely to look for more ways to help, but let’s not jump that far ahead! The pandemic will be over eventually and I’ll go outside to see the big yellow thing in the sky!

Seeing as I’m being verbose tonight…

Why am I doing this?

Well, it wasn’t all that long ago that I learned that the reason 32 Bit Ubuntu/Lubuntu/etc doesn’t exist isn’t because the devs hate 32 bit, it’s because they don’t have enough people testing on 32 bit platforms.

I’m moved past 32 bit, a long time ago. But, I find the lack of mainstream support disappointing. If I find it disappointing, then morally that means I’m obligated to help. If you don’t like something and don’t do anything about it, then you really don’t actually care about that thing you’re claiming you don’t like!

(That is just about the most convoluted sentence I’ve written in days. I am so sorry if you’re not a native English speaker!)

There’s more… I hope to learn, to help, etc… I also want to give back. Time is more meaningful than cash and I don’t know if I can donate anonymously. So, have some time! I’ll give you 2 to 5 hours per week - with some wiggle room for real life.

Thanks again. I’ve bookmarked your post.

I really, really like the reminder feature this forum has for bookmarks. Whoever came up with that was brilliant.

4 Likes