My first live Lubuntu Hirsute Hippo

LOL There’s a lot I don’t know. I’ve never actually tried to help a distro beta test before. I’ve used beta versions just to see what’s different, but I’ve never formally reported bugs nor have I done so with intent to really help the distro.

In this case, I am making a personal commitment to test for the entire duration of 21.04. I can and will do that. I do not know if I will continue beyond that. However, I’m committing to learn the process and to actually report bugs as found and in the proper manner. I can give 2 to 5 hours per week. Maybe a little more, maybe a little less some weeks. But, I’ll commit to doing so for the entirety of this release.

Even if it turns out that I hate it! :grinning: If I like it, I’ll keep on going with the next release.

Nah, I’m sure I’ll enjoy it, have some fun, and learn new things. Lubuntu has given me years of sensible, consistently quality operating systems. I can give back some time. Besides, I like breaking stuff. At heart, I’m just a giant five year old.

I can also write reasonably coherently. Verbosity is an issue, but I may be of some assistance with documentation in the future. We’ll cross that bridge when we get to it. We’ll see how well I take to beta testing and go from there.

3 Likes

I’ll provide a link to this post

I wrote a little about how we’ve used our [currently] one active install testcase to report the many variations we have on our checklist.

Note: this early in the cycle, the checklist of installs doesn’t matter that much; we try & complete all variations though regularly & very regularly late in the cycle. I’m not a good writer sorry.

I wrote a little about live testing at

but it’s actually better if we’re not all doing the same things, but doing it our own way, or using it as we do ourselves. The purpose of it was in hopes of getting more people testing, giving people ideas (not scaring them off with my poor writing)

I realize you’ve already seen at least one of my posts, but I’m providing in case helpful. I’ll (along with everyone else) will help whenever we can, and thank you for helping make Lubuntu better :grinning:.

2 Likes

I’ll do what I can and we’ll see where it goes. As mentioned above, I will obligate myself to do this testing for the duration of this release. I’m usually pretty good about being true to my word, so it’s very likely true.

I make this commitment because I want you to be aware that any hand-holding time invested will not be in vain. I appreciate the help and I will have questions. So, in return, I’ll obligate myself to doing this for the duration.

I have no idea what I’ll do at the end. I’m quite likely to look for more ways to help, but let’s not jump that far ahead! The pandemic will be over eventually and I’ll go outside to see the big yellow thing in the sky!

Seeing as I’m being verbose tonight…

Why am I doing this?

Well, it wasn’t all that long ago that I learned that the reason 32 Bit Ubuntu/Lubuntu/etc doesn’t exist isn’t because the devs hate 32 bit, it’s because they don’t have enough people testing on 32 bit platforms.

I’m moved past 32 bit, a long time ago. But, I find the lack of mainstream support disappointing. If I find it disappointing, then morally that means I’m obligated to help. If you don’t like something and don’t do anything about it, then you really don’t actually care about that thing you’re claiming you don’t like!

(That is just about the most convoluted sentence I’ve written in days. I am so sorry if you’re not a native English speaker!)

There’s more… I hope to learn, to help, etc… I also want to give back. Time is more meaningful than cash and I don’t know if I can donate anonymously. So, have some time! I’ll give you 2 to 5 hours per week - with some wiggle room for real life.

Thanks again. I’ve bookmarked your post.

I really, really like the reminder feature this forum has for bookmarks. Whoever came up with that was brilliant.

4 Likes