LXQt 1.0.0 Released

https://github.com/lxqt/lxqt/releases/tag/1.0.0

Is the group planning to upgrade LXQt to 1.0.0 in Lubuntu 21.10?

Thank you.

2 Likes

No. Lubuntu is a stable release distribution.

4 Likes

If you look at your system, you’re not using the Qt5 version it requires.

You’ll get it when you release-upgrade from 21.10 to 22.04 :grinning:

Note: It’s not in jammy currently (still not the right Qt5), but discussions on getting it into our archives have already taken place…

1 Like

Thanks, guiverc. Good to know.

Just replaced Debian with Lubuntu on both of my desktops, no more virtual machines. :slight_smile:

Installed 22.04 LTS and the LXQt packages are on 0.17.0, even after a full upgrade.

Not even worth using now. Sorry.

We really hoped to have it, and were planning to grab it from upstream Debian where it was being packaged many months ago now (note the package changes dated 4-5 months ago), alas the Debian developer ran out of time & had to leave the project with it uncompleted. Our backup plan was to have one of our own developers do it, but they didn’t have time due real life issues too (which we’ve written about too before).

Lubuntu kinetic has had LXQt 1.1 for awhile now, with many posts about it becoming available for jammy via backports; alas that’s not ready yet. In fact one of our developers has started uploading it to Debian sid which you may have noted if you looked at my prior link; the notification about that can be found here; Simon Quigley whilst a Lubuntu developer (and Ubuntu Core-dev) is also a DD or Debian developer (Debian sid was running the LXQt found in Lubuntu 21.04 before this)

There are other post(s) which mention other way(s) of getting it via PPA or unofficial sources; but the team do what we can, in the time we have available - and are always thankful when others step up & offer to help us out; so I’ll add a thank you to our latest new contributor @ArrayBolt3 who has been busy packaging for us! Thank you Aaron.

If you’d like to come help us improve our product, we’d love that too.

3 Likes

Chris,

Thank you for this reply.

I had installed Lubuntu in a virtual machine, but when I saw the version number, unfortunately, I was not happy. What remains of the installed virtual machine images, totals six. Out of these six, a whopping TWO have 1.1.0. The other four have either 1.0.0 or 0.16.0. I will go so far as to say that one of them is Debian Testing, which still has 0.16.0.

I know the Lubuntu team and the LXQt team upstream, both put a lot of time and effort into LXQt, getting any bugs out, polishing the interface, etc. And I want to add a thank you to everyone on both the Lubuntu and LXQt teams, you all deserve credit for this desktop.

It is frustrating, when we see announcements that a new version of Lubuntu or another distro, or LXQt is released, yet when I look at the different distros, the new version is (mostly) no where to be found.

Regarding a PPA, I found one through a Google search, but the version numbers were rather old, it was 0.11.0. I just ran another Google search and found the PPA with 1.1.0 in it. I will reinstall the image and add that PPA.

I can always file a bug report, if something doesn’t work right or crashes a lot. It’s one way to help improve the product. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’ll add a link I hadn’t find when I wrote my last reply.

FYI: I’ve now added it to my prior post; it’s dated 26-March-2022 and its mostly just different language (I’d have quoted it earlier if I’d found it in time)

What’s New? and LXQt version

The Lubuntu team hoped for LXQt 1.0.0 to be in this release, having planned for it to be sync’d from upstream Debian sid where work was being done, alas that didn’t complete and we’re out of time. The backup was to package it ourselves, alas we’re a small team and resources for that weren’t available either.

If you’d like to step up and help us, the small Lubuntu team could definitely use the help. We’re especially short of packagers (who’d have guessed given LXQt 1.0.0 isn’t available as planned & expected due to lack of resources), plus artwork (we’re using the 21.10 sddm wallpaper again you might note, thankfully it was great image from Mahtamun Hoque Fahim).

Many changes have been made to the Ubuntu base, even if LXQt is still 0.17. Please see the release notes on our discourse for full details.

2 Likes

I noticed the artwork was from a prior version.

I’m really just an end-user of the distro(s). I’ve never coded, programmed, or packaged anything, nor do I know how. There have been many times, when I have to do a search to find the correct command for something in a terminal screen. Plus my PC’s aren’t exactly new, they’re 11 and 13 years old, yet still work. The 11-year-old desktop is where I’ve installed the virtual machines. The other PC doesn’t have enough RAM for anything else, it’s maxed out at 3Gb.

If I install the 1.1.0 packages via that PPA and the same version of packages eventually gets to backports (I noticed in Muon that backports were already enabled), is it easy to switch to the backports packages? I’m assuming I would have to remove the PPA from the install.

I have little idea how simple it would be to use an existing PPA that provide LXQt 1.0 (or 1.1) and then switch to an official backport/PPA version of the packages. At worst I’d assume you’d need to ppa-purge your original PPA & then upgrade with replacement more-official packages & I’d expect that would work, but I’ve not tested or looked at it sorry.

Your system will automatically upgrade to the latest packages available from your sources (which with backports enabled includes packages available there too). There has been a ton of packaging activity visible in #lubuntu-devel which includes Simon mentoring and instructing Aaron (both of whom I mentioned in prior posts)

I don’t think the age of a PC matters that much, I’m using my primary 2009 dell to reply to this here; but yes if compiling source code on this box for subsequent testing, especially running VMs to test something and this boxes lack of resources starts to show. If I want to test something I subsequently use another box I have here instead. FYI: I’m not a Lubuntu developer, so it’s very rare for me to be compiling anything.

If it was me, I’d likely wait for the official backport… If you’ve not seen it, I’ll provide the following link

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/lubuntu-devel/2022-June/001909.html

22.04 highlights:

• Prior to 22.04.1 LTS, our goal is to fix an installer bug related to btrfs installs. Please test when it becomes available.
  • We’re working on backports for LXQt 1.1 and other goodies. If you’re a developer type, you can track the progress here

Note: I’ve fudged the quote a little; so read the original ML for to best understand (ML posts use different formatting)

If you wanted to just play a little with Lubuntu with LXQt 1.1.0, you’ve been able to test drive it on Lubuntu kinetic dailies for some time now (that’s what I’m using right now & part of what is mentioned in upstreaming LXQt 1.1 to Debian in this link I believe I already provided)

1 Like

Thanks again for the reply. I have bookmarked the link shown on the mailing list post from Simon and will track the progress. There’s definitely activity, so I will wait for the backports.

1 Like

Looks like 1.2.0 could be released this coming Autumn.

1 Like