Lubuntu 22.04.1 LTS is Released!

For full details, please refer to the Lubuntu blog here.

What’s The Difference Between Lubuntu 22.04 LTS And This Release?

Lubuntu 22.04.1 is a set of images produced for convenience so that a fresh install of the latest Lubuntu LTS does not require as many updates after install (as Lubuntu continues to release Stable Release Updates and security fixes to make your experience as smooth as possible and to fix any bugs, if you want to help us out with this, see below, we always need more help). If you do system updates regularly, you are already running Lubuntu 22.04.1 LTS, and if you install Lubuntu on a system using a Lubuntu 22.04 LTS image and do system updates, that system will also then be running Lubuntu 22.04.1 LTS.

Upgrading Lubuntu to 22.04 LTS

Notice about upgrading from Lubuntu 20.04 LTS with LXQt:

If you are upgrading from Lubuntu 20.04 LTS that has LXQt, this new version uses a different Openbox settings configuration file. If you have customized ~/.config/openbox/lxqt-rc.xml you will want to copy that file to ~/.config/openbox/rc.xml. New installations and upgrading from 21.10 is not impacted by this change.

New installs of Lubuntu 22.04 LTS no longer include the programs trojita, fcitx and k3b, which will cause those applications to be removed from your existing system on upgrade, unless you mark them as manually installed using the procedure we’ve documented here. You should do this for each of the programs you use, before you perform the upgrade.

For more information about upgrading please visit our manual page that describes the process. In addition, more information about upgrading releases in Ubuntu and all the flavors for the 22.04 release, can be found here.

Where can I download it?

You can download Lubuntu 22.04.1 LTS on our downloads page.

Installer

Lubuntu uses the Calamares system installer in place of the Ubiquity installer that most other flavors use. 22.04 ships with Calamares 3.2.60. For a full/erase disk install, we have added the option of a swapfile by default. The swapfile size is initially set to 512 MB. The option for no swap is still available as a dropdown selection.

For a full description of the new features and fixes, see the upstream announcements for 3.2.60. You’ll note this is a later calamares than prior Lubuntu 22.04 LTS media provided.

8 Likes

… this new version uses a different Openbox settings configuration file.

Does a default rc.xml exsits somewhere?

I’m not exactly sure what you’re asking, but package lubuntu-default-settings includes these files within it.

2 Likes

@guiverc
Thank you so much. That was exactly what I was looking for.

1 Like

Oh, I just recognized that there are two rc.cml-documents in the list (Ubuntu – File list of package lubuntu-default-settings/jammy/all):

/etc/xdg/xdg-Lubuntu/openbox/rc.xml
/usr/share/lubuntu/openbox/rc.xml

I compared the two rc.xml-documents. Both are different.

Why are they different?
Why there is not just one rc.xml-document?
Which one should I take for .config/openbox and why?

Thank you in advance for the answers.

(If I remember right, I think /usr/share/lubuntu/openbox/rc.xml is just a left-over from 18.04).
So copy the one from /etc/xdg/xdg-Lubuntu/openbox.

Your local config still takes precedence above all else,
after that;

$ echo $XDG_CONFIG_DIRS
/etc/xdg/xdg-Lubuntu:/etc/xdg:/etc:/usr/share

So the lookup ordering for openbox/rc.xml is;

~/.config/
/etc/xdg/xdg-Lubuntu/
/etc/xdg/
/etc/
/usr/share/

(etc/xdg/openbox/rc.xml is the default one from the openbox package.)

So copy the one from /etc/xdg/xdg-Lubuntu/openbox.

Thank you so much for your help.

(If I remember right, I think /usr/share/lubuntu/openbox/rc.xml is just a left-over from 18.04)

Maybe it would be good to delete the document in future releases.