19.04 Megathread

Yeah this is a known bug though not one with a clear solution. It doesn’t happen to everyone and doesn’t happen in virtual machines. It seems that having compositing (compton) will cause the screen to refresh.

As mentioned there, it is not the intention of Lubuntu to have the OpenBox session, but it’s something that necessarily comes with the OpenBox package, so we can’t remove it without affecting non-Lubuntu OpenBox users.

We hope to fix this and SRU back to 19.04, too.

I like OpenBox, I wish I could use it form Lubuntu. And naked OpenBox fits Lubuntu objective of being lightweight distro too. Please, consider supporting OpenBox sessions in Lubuntu intentionally. Thank you for such a great distro.

1 Like

You can. Turn on compositing.

That is not entirely our objective anymore.

my laptop is using 18.04 and I have been testing 19.04 with vmware player for a while, so far so good!

1 Like

Lubuntu 19.04: Please make nm-tray more visible, it is barely visble in the panel, it works fine but looks like being deactivated in comparison to the green circle of the charging reader, qlipper or volume control.
I cannot show you because pastebin will not accept a screenshot, only text.

Openbox, in contrast, shows a clearly visible WiFi applet (icon, symbol) in the panel.

1 Like

Found a way to show this ghostlike nmr-tray, it is the second from right, between green circle and time.

Sorry, this is the correct link:

Already in the works. Upstream just commited a potential fix, too.

When I log into Lubuntu 19.04 I have the choice “Lubuntu” and “LXQt Desktop”. What is the difference berween them except for the nicer icons in the panel and for the main maps with “LXQt Desktop”?

(Sorry to say that)

The LXQt Desktop session is basically LXQt with default values, so none of the specific Lubuntu settings. Similarly, the Openbox session is Openbox with default values.

2 Likes

Multiuser Login Shells: 1st User gets /bin/bash, every 2nd or more User gets /bin/sh

This is awkward in the QTerminal:
1st User
2nd User

P.S.

Let others join the conversation

since wxl kind of “forced” me to reinstall 19.04 to help development - I was happy with 18.04 - I just report errors, or what I see as errors with my humble mind, to help. So, I gladly invite anybody over :slight_smile:

The default shell needs to be specified when you add a new user else it will resort to /bin/sh
This is easy to change after the fact however. In the menu select preferences → LXQt settings → Users and Groups. You should see a dialog similar to this picture :

First select the user you want to change then click on Properties then select Advanced.
From there you can change the default shell and select OK.

2 Likes

I migrated over from Ubuntu Xenial (w/Unity) to Lubuntu 19.04 a couple of weeks ago. Having an Ubuntu flavor that is based on LXQt is a breath of fresh air. Overall it’s been great so far. There were a few minor issues that are worth mentioning though:

• The installer did not seem to play well with pre-existing partitions, and would simply quit about a tenth of the way through the install process. I worked around this by cloning my Xenial install to another drive and then re-partitioning through Calamares. Could have just been an issue with my previous layout and not a universal thing.

• Qlipper failed to start sometimes after logging out and back in again. I worked around this by replacing the autostart entry for Qlipper with a short script that waits five seconds before calling it.

• The gnome keyring often fails to unlock after logging out and logging back in again. I think this is an issue with sddm. I planned on migrating to passwordstore anyway (which I did using the pass import tools), but I’m sure some people prefer gnome keyring daemon, so it could be worth looking at.

• GTK applications don’t pick up on font antialiasing and hinting settings for some reason. I worked around this by installing xsettingsd and adapting my preferences to the config file for that program. GTK applications now look great.

• ‘Non-existent temporary files’ would display on the desktop when logging in (see here: https://github.com/lxqt/pcmanfm-qt/issues/944). I worked around this by using an updated version of pcmanfm-qt and the related libs imported from the Stable Continuous Integration PPA (see here: https://launchpad.net/~lubuntu-ci/+archive/ubuntu/stable-ci).

• I don’t think the Spice VD Agent and Geoclue Demo applications should be set to autostart by default (nor do I think that the lubuntu-desktop metapackage should have spice-vdagent as a dependency). Regarding Spice in particular, there are many people who have no use for remote access to virtual machines, and it just seems like a niche feature that does not need to be running or installed by default.

• Synaptics still has much better support for touchpad configurations than libinput (OOTB at-least). So I had to switch back to that for handling my trackpad. Works as well as it always has. This brings up a final issue, which is that a lot of the settings for both the touchpad and standard mouse do not seem to stick. This is workable for me as I have some things configured for synaptics and xinput anyway, but I assume this might cause trouble for other users.

Otherwise it’s been smooth sailing, and LXQt feels really mature at this point. I plan on sticking with Lubuntu, and hope that the upgrade process is smooth between releases. I read that Wayland support is supposed to be fully implemented by the next LTS release, and I pray that things go smoothly (and also that users who still prefer X can continue using it without issue at that point).

Kudos for the wonderful implementation of LXQt!

P.S. I forgot to mention that compton is still a great lightweight compositor, but that the comptonconf tool could reveal a few more settings to the user. While one can obviously change the config for compton manually, revealing the vsync settings would be particularly useful for those who switch between Nvidia and Intel integrated graphics, as using one of the opengl options for compton’s vsync resolves tearing issues on most Nvidia GPUs. The default configuration is solid when simply using Intel integrated graphics though, which was a nice surprise.

Could be specific to calamares but I doubt it. Do you have any errors or anything?

That’s a new one! If you remove your delay, are there any errors shown in the logs? Also you say sometimes. Do you mean it does this inconsistently?

The word here “often” (not “always”) concerns me because it says it’s inconsistent. Given this is the same behavior you’re expierincing with Qlipper, I’m wondering if there isn’t some other issue going on. Did it do this out of the box?

This is strange as my impression is that upstream has worked hard to ensure consistency of theming, but perhaps that doesn’t extend to fonts.

Could you share that config?

Say what?! I have no clue why these are there. @tsimonq2???

I’ve heard this before, but as synaptics is essentially deprecated in lieu of libinput (the author of both pieces of software are the same), it’s pointless to keep carrying the torch.

By what methodology?

You might consider reporting an upstream issue, especially given you have intimate experience with the issue.

Apologies but I don’t remember exactly. I think it was related to this bug (Fatal error with luks and bootloader on / · Issue #969 · calamares/calamares · GitHub), and some of the errors in there look familiar. I had been using an encrypted swap partition (I set up encrypted swap a couple of years ago on a whim because it sounded neat, but I opted for a standard swap partition this time around). I assume it was because of this.

Yes, inconsistently, and I’ll check!

Yes. Out of the box unfortunately. If I log out and back in, sometimes the keyring will unlock, sometimes it won’t unlock. Myself and another person have mentioned the issue on launchpad (Bug #1769384 “SDDM does not unlock gnome-keyring on login” : Bugs : sddm package : Ubuntu), and I believe it to be purely sddm related.

Absolutely!

Xft/Antialias 1 Xft/Autohint 0 Xft/Hinting 1 Xft/HintStyle "hintslight" Xft/lcdfilter "lcddefault" Xft/RGBA "rgb"
^with linebreaks after every value of-course.

I was just as confused!

I know libinput is now considered preferable. When I get around to making a nice config for it I’ll switch.

Via LXQt’s keyboard and mouse settings applet.

Noted. Good idea.

Don’t forget we can’t fix anything without knowing the details of the problem. I’m sorry to say a mention of a problem without details is about as useful as having said nothing at all.

I don’t use the keychain. Could you please update the bug with clear steps to reproduce, preferably with a variety of apps that can be used, but especially ones that come default in Lubuntu?

Regarding spice-vdagent, this seems to be a dependency of every single desktop flavor, including vanilla Ubuntu. So this isn’t our doing. This was an addition made globally. We’ll see about fixing it but it would mean pull it from the global seed and putting it in all the separate flavor seeds (read: PITA). It does pull in GTK depends but we haven’t divorced ourselves of those yet (ugh, Firefox). On the other hand, it is really small and is not an actively running service. It’s socket activated. Maybe not worth the trouble.

Geoclue is interesting, but QtWebKit is to blame, ultimately. Calamares depends on this, but so does k3b, quassel, and trojita. Well, to be fair, it’s not QtWebKit, really. QtWebKit depends on QtPositioning which recommends on geoclue. Furthermore, geoclue isn’t a terrible thing to have. I’m not sure I’m against that. The demo agent is a little weird, though. Will have to investigate further.

Are there specific settings that don’t stick? Especially regarding the keyboard (since that’s universal).

I wasn’t trying to report a bug. This is a “megathread” and I was bringing up my general experience with transitioning the latest release of this nice Ubuntu flavor. If i was trying to file a bug report I would have filed a bug report. If I was asking for help or for a fix, I would have asked for help or for a fix. I mentioned the workarounds in an attempt to be as helpful as I could in situations where I was not carefully cataloguing errors and steps to reproduce them. When I’m migrating to a new desktop environment or distribution I’m not doing it for fun or to report problems. I’m doing it to set up something stable that works for me, so I can get work done within it. Not all of us end users are mindless oafs.

I no longer use keychain either. I already migrated all of my logins to QtPass, as I mentioned. There are no manual steps to reproduce this issue aside from logging out, then logging back in. A bug report is already on the books (linked in my previous post). The culprit appears to be SDDM.

I had a feeling this was the situation because it didn’t make sense to me at all for a lightweight distribution. It can be disabled like anything else so it’s definitely not a deal breaker.

This issue has been mentioned on github a couple of times.

I’ve also seen it casually brought up outside the context of bug reports. It’s an LXQt problem for sure. All settings fail to stick and fail to have an effect except mouse wheel lines, double click interval, and “natural” scrolling, a phrase that has always irritated me.

I really enjoy LXQt, and think you guys did a great job of rolling it into the new Lubuntu, but the last thing on my mind when migrating to a new system is doing bug testing and filing detailed reports. GNU / Linux is not a hobby for me. It’s my preferred work OS and has been for years. LXQt is a great example of a traditional and modern lightweight DE. I’ll let you know if I notice anything in the logs regarding Qlipper’s occasional failure to autostart, but as of now it looks like it actually does start without the five second delay, and it just doesn’t appear in the tray.

Also it is beyond me why posts that contain github dot com with the actual period are considered spam.

Apparently these posts are spam too (I kept getting notifications about it) because I link to or mention other content as well:

The point of the thread was to gather useful feedback that could be used to improve things.

Wouldn’t the keychain need to be used by something first?

Both of these are rather specific things and not related to keyboard. You said you had keyboard issues?

Discourse’s automatic spam control. Will work on tweaking it.

Understood. Was under the impression it was more of a ‘new release general’ type of
thing.

SDDM is supposed to unlock it for use upon login, just like LightDM and so on. I’m not really missing it, as the only thing that ever used it frequently were chromium-based browsers (and I stopped using chromium and forks of it a few months ago). Was very easy to import the mountain of entries into passwordstore, and QtPass makes managing them a breeze.

No keyboard issues thankfully.

Thank ya! And sorry for typing a bit brashly earlier. Needed some caffeine.