19.04 Megathread

What did you think about 19.04? Any hidden features, or hidden bugs? General thoughts?

EDIT: If you like the work we’re doing, consider donating.

It’s good, I’ve had no problems with it. I’ve removed apps I don’t want and replaced them with ones I do, e.g. Thunderbird in place of the supplied mail client. It would be nice if different desktops could have different wallpapers, so you can see immediately where you are.
Many thanks for all your efforts.

1 Like

While I think this makes sense and you’re not the first to make this suggestion, it’s not technically feasible, at least for upstream. LXQt is built to be independent of all compositors/window managers and they all deal with virtual desktops differently. Similarly, it’s built to be independent of all display servers and, well, no one knows yet what Wayland will bring.

Theoretically, we could carry our own downstream patch specific to Openbox, but we would have to do that in the pcmanfm-qt package, which would then affect every user of that package, which might not be ideal if they weren’t using Lubuntu. From my own perspective, as a user of awesome, I don’t think I would appreciate this.

Maybe some day when Wayland takes over and if they force the handling of virtual desktops to some standard. Maybe.

3 Likes

Many thanks for taking the trouble to answer this question - your explanation is much appreciated, so I (and others) understand things better. Keep up the excellent work!

I haven’t noticed any changes.

Hi, I am a newbie both to Lubuntu and to this forum.
Temporarily I had Lubuntu 19.04 installed. I found logging-in extreeemely slow compared to Lubuntu 18.04. (or Ubuntu 18.04, for that matter). Is this so or was it a speciality of my system?

I keep using Lubuntu 18.04 until Lubuntu 20.04 arrives (which will be hopefully faster in my hands).

Thanks, lubucub

Looks good to me. I know I raised the issue of FDE before but it definitely works fine the way it is.

Also, the improvement done into LXQt is a huge plus for me. :slight_smile:

Can’t say I’m disappointed with anything. Lubuntu fulfills everything I could get on my old laptop.

My only hope at this point is that I’d be able to contribute more to the project, however little. Probably testing.

There was a long discussion on the LXQt forums about a delay in having the panel show up but I couldn’t reproduce it in Lubuntu. Does the delay exist with the default plugins and options?

Whatcha mean? What’s missing?

Nothing—it just works—which is what I was hoping for. :grin:

Ubuntu’s weird wiki page for that got me all stuck on using LVM but in the end, it wouldn’t really add any benefit, so I kind of gave up on that and have been happily using Lubuntu.

When it comes time for me to update to 19.10, I’m probably just gonna reinstall—which makes using LVM seem even less sure.

Anyway, as I said, everything is looking good. I haven’t run into anything disastrous yet but if I do I’ll probably submit a bug report.

I’m booting Lubuntu 19.04 in a VirtualBox virtual machine (VM) and frequently find that the screen saver freezes the VM. I didn’t have this problem with any earlier versions of Lubuntu.

@rouson with every single screensaver? I have no such problem and have left it running quite a bit in VirtualBox. Maybe limited on resources?

Almost every one. I’ve disabled the screen saver, which is fine for my purposes.

@rouson probably moot then, but what about my question on limited resources?

@wxl

There was a long discussion on the LXQt forums about a delay in having the panel show up but I couldn’t reproduce it in Lubuntu. Does the delay exist with the default plugins and options?

Yes it does, and I had three independent installs from disco-desktop-amd64Apr16.iso, all with the same delay, and after all had all default updates afterwards. And this delay is not with Lubuntu 18.04.
Details:
I have a multi-boot, dual-user Samsung notebook 300E5C-S04DE, 2.20 gigahertz Intel Core i3-2328M, 64bit, 500 MB HD. I start my notebook, choose "Ubuntu 19.04 on sda7 (my Lubuntu partition; Ubuntu, or Debian that is, never learns to name their flavors correctly) from the boot menu. The two user-icons* come pretty fast, I choose mine, key in my password, hit return, but then… nothing for a very long time; finally my destop with the panel appears, ugh!

*user-icons: I do it this way, from https://wiki.archlinux.de/title/Login-Manager
The text is in German, so here is some Googleish:

Customize user picture

The package accountsservice must be installed (it was by default). The user picture is set as follows. (replace username with the corresponding username)

create or edit the file / var / lib / AccountsService / users / username:

/ Var / lib / Account Service / users / username

[User]
Icon = / var / lib / Account Service / icons / username

Save the desired image as / var / lib / AccountsService / icons / username. (without file extension)

Note: Both files must have the rights 644.

NB: I tested the whole thing once before I did set the user icons, i.e., just hitting the white tailor’s dummies; same looooong fesponse

As I can’t reproduce this, I’m guessing this must be some sort of hardware related issue. Do you see this in the live system? What about Eoan?

Please post up the following:

• $HOME/.config/lxqt/debug.log
  • $HOME/.local/share/sddm/xorg-session.log
  • /var/log/sddm.log
  • /var/log/syslog
  • /var/log/Xorg.0.log

I only recently installed, but I like it very much so far.

I’ve used different versions of Lubuntu for several years on a number of machines (usually the LTS ones), and the first thing I notices with 19.04 was DPI scaling: my display was setup perfectly out of the box. I have a Thinkpad X1 with the high-res screen and another comparably small display with very high resolution on the desktop box, and I always had to mess with DPI scaling manually. With 19.04, it just works.

I also found switching to the proprietary Nvidia driver (it’s a shame, but I need it) for my RTX 280 a breeze.

The only thing that I find annoying is that my home directory (the most important place on the whole system) is very hard to access from many GUI applications. E.g., if you double-click on a zip archive, Ark gets opened. When you then click Extract, a file browser shows up, but it seems to have no way to get into my home (!). It shows all kinds of useless places (e.g., Desktop, Downloads, Root, Trash (!)), but I cannot reach a place like ~/matlab/ from it. I noticed similar behaviour on recent versions of Windows and MacOS, but that does not make this behaviour less weird imo.

@[wxl]:

I had three independent installs from disco-desktop-amd64Apr16.iso, all with the same delay, and after all had all default updates afterwards. And this delay is not with Lubuntu 18.04

As I can’t reproduce this, I’m guessing this must be some sort of hardware related issue. Do you see this in the live system? What about Eoan?

Please post up the following:

* `$HOME/.config/lxqt/debug.log`
* `$HOME/.local/share/sddm/xorg-session.log`
* `/var/log/sddm.log`
* `/var/log/syslog`
* `/var/log/Xorg.0.log`

Sorry, I have neither the 19.04 Live USB stick anymore nor the 19.04 installation.

What about Eoan?

What do you mean? Relating to the dawn? Relating to the East?

This is because LXQt is meant to be modern. Heck, they’re trying to work on being compatible with Wayland. With LXDE they’re barely even fixing bugs, let alone keeping up with modern hardware and modern developments. They’re still not GTK3 compatible!!!

This I’m surprised by as we have no GUI method for this. How did you do this and how was it better than with LXDE?

I opened Firefox in 19.04, clicked on a zip, was offered to open it in Ark, which I accepted, then clicked on “Extract To…” and was given a dialog which defaults to /tmp/mozilla_lubuntu0 but that also has a “Home” option in the “Places” sidebar and clicking it sends you right to home:

What am I missing?