When is Lubuntu 22.04.1 LTS going to be available to download?

Hello Lubuntu community,

When is the updated Lubuntu 22.04.1 scheduled for release? Is it on a regular release cycle?

As an example, the original releases come out in April every 2 years.

Thanks!

If you read the Ubuntu 22.04 LTS annoucements, it clearly said

Users of Ubuntu 21.10 will soon be offered an automatic upgrade to 22.04. Users of 20.04 LTS will be offered the automatic upgrade when 22.04.1 LTS is released, which is scheduled for the 4th of August. For further information about upgrading, see: …

The Lubuntu releases didn’t provide this, but links to that were provided for more details, as well as it being pasted on numerous sites at various times, including the Ubuntu Jammy Jellyfish Release Schedule, our own Lubuntu jammy jellyfish tracker etc.

Ubuntu releases are always a Thursday, which is why Ubuntu 22.04.1 is listed as 4 August 2022. If you’re currently using Lubuntu 20.04 LTS however, I’d not expect to be offered the upgrade path until after that date, normally the earliest is the following week, but the time will be when the Ubuntu Release Team decide it’s right; with delays of a week or more not expected - but these can be tracked via tracking documents (historically kept on the wiki, but on discourse for more recent cycles).

Release schedules are published, and available well in advance. If you’re familiar with them, they’re very predictable anyway, at worst an estimate is a week out as for example a recent one was delayed a week due to Chinese holidays (something much of the world doesn’t consider; Ubuntu is global, and thus has to consider all peoples all over the world). Lubuntu releases use the same dates as Ubuntu.

1 Like

Thank you very much for responding, guiverc. I’m still new here and I didn’t know where to find this info.

So it looks like Lubuntu always releases it’s updated versions very close to the same time as Ubuntu does? That’s a lot of hard work.

Ubuntu and all flavors of Ubuntu release at the same exact time, with the authority of the release overall managed by the Ubuntu Release Team.

Yes they consult with us (via IRC & other means), and prompt us to mark a product ready on-time or early (see http://iso.qa.ubuntu.com/qatracker/milestones/432/builds on the ISO QA tracker (where you’ll note all were marked as READY; except for Ubuntu WSL), so that everyone can release at the same exact time (or special notices go out, including delays)

Not all postings for a release occur at the same second, as the Ubuntu Release Team have a set of procedures they follow, and this takes a number of hours once the ‘go’ has been achieved, and so many release announcements occur over a number of hours. An example maybe the Ubuntu Fridge post I quoted from in my first reply, the text of that I get from the Ubuntu Release Team’s Mailing List notice, so I can’t start putting that together until the ML post has gone out (very late in the release process), and Fridge posting requirements mandate another Editor validate what I did, which again takes time etc. ( Note: I’m using that example; I do that as part of my Ubuntu News duties, unrelated to Lubuntu; Ubuntu is a family; Lubuntu being one part)

Upgrades from Lubuntu 21.10 to Lubuntu 22.04 LTS, or in fact from Lubuntu 20.04 LTS to Lubuntu 22.04 LTS are not unique, in fact the Ubuntu Release Team handle those being available as well given all flavors (including Lubuntu) use the same ubuntu-release-upgrader tool, with the Ubuntu Release Team controlled the meta files that control what releases your system sees (ie. meta and meta-development).

In the end it’s identical for all Ubuntu, and flavors of Ubuntu. Lubuntu do not provide release schedules as you may have noted in the Lubuntu jammy jellyfish issue tracker where we only provided Ubuntu links, as we use those same alpha, beta, freeze, RC etc dates.

One difference is support for LTS releases. Packages provided on Ubuntu ISOs have five years of support, where flavor ISOs (like Lubuntu) and packages from the ‘universe’ repository, come with a shorter life span (3 years for packages included on LTS ISOs).

2 Likes