Ubuntu 20.04.6 was released

As I’d expect almost everyone to know, Ubuntu 20.04.6 LTS was released. I posted about it here (with my Ubuntu News hat on) on the Ubuntu Fridge - Ubuntu Fridge | Ubuntu 20.04.6 LTS Released

The reason for this post is a comment made on IRC & link to distrowatch here which states

2023-03-23

This week Canonical published a sixth update to the popular Ubuntu 20.04 distribution and most of the official Ubuntu community editions followed. Two editions, which had published previous updates to version 20.04 in step with Canonical, were absent this time. Both Lubuntu and Ubuntu Studio offered five updates to version 20.04 in sync with Canonical, but have sat out this sixth update. At the time of writing there does not appear to be any comments on either community edition’s website or mailing list regarding this omission. It’s possible that, with the three year support deadline for some community editions coming up next month, these two projects have simply decided to phase out 20.04 earlier than the other community editions.

I’m writing this post to deal with the section of the text that I’ve marked in bold.

Yes Lubuntu 20.04 LTS is nearing its EOL; I posted about that in warning here and the date I used in that warning was 28-April-2023 for the EOL.

Nothing has changed, if you are still using Lubuntu 20.04 LTS and have applied all your updates, you’ll find you’re already running Lubuntu 20.04.6 LTS.

eg. on my system used in the EOL warning post I get the following from neofetch

guiverc@sl510-2004:~$   neofetch
            .-/+oossssoo+/-.
        `:+ssssssssssssssssss+:`
      -+ssssssssssssssssssyyssss+-         guiverc@sl510-2004 
    .ossssssssssssssssssdMMMNysssso.       ------------------ 
   /ssssssssssshdmmNNmmyNMMMMhssssss/      OS: Ubuntu 20.04.6 LTS x86_64 
  +ssssssssshmydMMMMMMMNddddyssssssss+     Host: 2873RU6 ThinkPad SL510 
 /sssssssshNMMMyhhyyyyhmNMMMNhssssssss/    Kernel: 5.15.0-67-generic 
.ssssssssdMMMNhsssssssssshNMMMdssssssss.   Uptime: 17 mins 
+sssshhhyNMMNyssssssssssssyNMMMysssssss+   Packages: 2543 (dpkg), 11 (snap) 
ossyNMMMNyMMhsssssssssssssshmmmhssssssso   Shell: bash 5.0.17 
ossyNMMMNyMMhsssssssssssssshmmmhssssssso   Resolution: 1366x768 
+sssshhhyNMMNyssssssssssssyNMMMysssssss+   DE: LXQt 
.ssssssssdMMMNhsssssssssshNMMMdssssssss.   WM: Openbox 
 /sssssssshNMMMyhhyyyyhdNMMMNhssssssss/    WM Theme: Lubuntu Round 
  +sssssssssdmydMMMMMMMMddddyssssssss+     Theme: Arc-Darker [GTK3] 
   /ssssssssssshdmNNNNmyNMMMMhssssss/      Icons: elementary-xfce-darker [GTK3] 
    .ossssssssssssssssssdMMMNysssso.       Terminal: qterminal 
      -+sssssssssssssssssyyyssss+-         Terminal Font: Ubuntu Mono 14 
        `:+ssssssssssssssssss+:`           CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo T6570 (2) @ 2.101GHz                                                   
            .-/+oossssoo+/-.               GPU: Intel Mobile 4 Series Chipset                                                           
                                           Memory: 653MiB / 1843MiB

where you’ll note it reports as 20.04.6.

We still fully support Lubuntu 20.04 LTS, we simply didn’t provide newer media for it, as we held discussions & voted & it wasn’t seen as beneficial for our users.

( Speaking personally, I see little benefit in updated media that only has weeks of supported life left. I’d prefer to install a system with longer supported life remaining )

8 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.