Lubuntu 20.04 LTS is nearing it's EOL (end-of-life)

Lubuntu 20.04 LTS was released back on 23-April-2020, with three years of supported life provided by the Lubuntu team, which is rapidly drawing to an end (five years for Ubuntu Desktop, Ubuntu Server, Ubuntu Cloud and Ubuntu Core and packages found in the ‘main’ repository)

This will mean if you’re using Lubuntu 20.04 LTS, the Lubuntu/LXQt components of your system will no longer receive security updates or fixes, plus we at Lubuntu won’t support it after 28-April-2023, though your base Ubuntu packages will continue to receive security updates from Ubuntu.

How can I check?

To check the status of your own system, you can use ubuntu-security-status, for example

guiverc@sl510-2004:~$   ubuntu-security-status 
This command has been replaced with 'pro security-status'.
2512 packages installed:
     1594 packages from Ubuntu Main/Restricted repository
     901 packages from Ubuntu Universe/Multiverse repository
     17 packages no longer available for download

To get more information about the packages, run
    pro security-status --help
for a list of available options.

This machine is receiving security patching for Ubuntu Main/Restricted
repository until 2025.
This machine is NOT attached to an Ubuntu Pro subscription.

Note: I’ve not included all the output from the command, skipping some ESP/PRO type messages at the bottom of the output

On my example machine, you’ll note 1594 packages which will receive security fixes for the life of the Ubuntu 20.04 LTS (ie. five years of supported fixes), but there are also 901 packages that have no guaranteed security fixes after April 2023.

Your installed systems will likely report differently to mine, as we all tend to add our own packages to suit our needs, making our own systems unique. I suggest you run the command and explore your own systems results.

What should I do ?

Upgrade your system when you’re able to.

Firstly backup, so your data is nice & safe should the power go off or something, then I suggest you read the Upgrading Lubuntu to 22.04 LTS” instructions in our Lubuntu 22.04.2 LTS release notes, then refer to the Lubuntu manual page on performing a system upgrade.

Lubuntu 20.04 LTS will release-upgrade to Lubuntu 22.04 LTS, and you’ll be running the Lubuntu 22.04 LTS System.

7 Likes