Question for Lubuntu users?

For anyone that uses Lubuntu, what do you use it for, what games can I play and what are some stuff you change from Lubuntu?

1 Like

There are already topics related to your question, for instance

and perhaps some others.

Since last September I use Lubuntu for all purposes - mainly internet surfing and only a bit of office works because I am in retirement - except playing MS Flight Simulator X and some old point-and-click games. For these my old Win7-PC is suited much better.

Out of nostalgia, my favorite game is LBreakoutHD, an old-fashioned ball-and-paddle-game which I had installed by using Discover. You can see which games you might like by clicking on category ‘Games’ in the GUI of Discover.

4 Likes

I’m using Lubuntu oracular right now, though I do consider it a Ubuntu system.

This is my primary PC, so I’ll use it for whatever I need to do during the day on a PC, be that emailing, visiting various sites online (eg. here), text editing, processing files/images, communicating with others (IRC, telegram, matrix etc) etc.

This box is setup with multiple keyboards (four), multiple displays (five) which allow me to use it standing, seated, or whilst using an exercise bike (mainly used when proof reading). I’m not a gamer player though.

I’m not sure how to respond here, as the answer is whatever I want. This setup has features I liked in Ubuntu when the Unity desktop was used years ago, some features that I liked from Xfce… but in the end its altered to make it work for me better given how I use it.

This install is a multi-desktop install; ie. I can decide (when I login) whether or not I login using Ubuntu Desktop (GNOME), Xubuntu Desktop (Xfce) or my usual default which is Lubuntu (LXQt)… and thus I’ve somewhat modified the desktops so behavior is somewhat similar regardless of the desktop I login with. The major difference I notice between desktop is operation of the media keys (that I’ve left default).

4 Likes

I am a bit of wanderer. I use OS’es on several laptops and PC’s, often inside virtual machines as well. Those OS’es used to be from various sources.

After getting dissatisfied with Windows (around 2010) there was a period that I used Ubuntu, followed by a long period (almost ten years) that I used exclusively Lubuntu (with the LXDE desktop at first, which was really mesmerising; later with the LXQt desktop which is even much better).

I really liked (and like) the way LXQt works, and especially (back in history) how the Lubuntu team modified (LXDE and) LXQt with their styling. For daily use it was (and is) an excellent choice!

However, since Lubuntu is heavily derived from Ubuntu, and Ubuntu modifies/enhances the underlying Debian operating system in a way I really don’t like (mostly “snaps”), I’ve been interchanging some of the virtual machines with “another LInux, another LXQt implementation”.

For a period I was very content with Debian and their implementation of LXQt. Finally, I was able to get rid of some of the annoyances I’d experienced with Ubuntu/Lubuntu (“snaps”, but other trivial things as well).

But… it just did not feel exacly like Lubuntu. And, the community seemed to be less responsive. Importantly, More importantly, Debian is very stable, but as a result, does not offer latest versions of software in a timely manner.

Having avoided OS-es other than Debian based ones for a long time, I stumbled upon a video of some guy who showed me how easy it is to install Arch Linux with LXQt. The rest is history.

I know, one can’t compare Arch Linux with any Debian based system. But it works for me. If I install the corresponding packages (with Pacman) I can install xfce, GNOME, even what is left of LXDE, or any other major desktop, without almost any effort in few keyboard-clicks, and decide which desktop metaphor to use at the next login (from SDDM after a logout, no need to reboot).

I found out how to mimic the look-and-feel of the LXQt desktop as it is on Lubuntu, exactly on my Arch Linux system. Mimic means here: I really don’t see any differences. The OS is different, but, is it really important?

I’ve now reached the point that even without the Lubuntu fine tuning of the desktop, I can survive. LXQt is excellent, even without the (desktop) mods offered by Lubuntu!

I really appreciate the effort of the Lubuntarians as they manage to produce a new Lubuntu distribution every six months. You’ve done a great job.

You (the members of the Lubuntu team) should reconsider if it is still worth it, all the time time and effort you put into Lubunu.

I can install a Linux Arch Lubuntu look-a-like from scratch in less than 20 minutes.

3 Likes

Not a gamer.
Nothing too special to report, except for one small quirk.

Pre-LXQt I used Lubuntu as main driver for many years. I am not a big adventure lover, the switch to LXQt was slightly traumatic for me, so I switched to XFCE on Mint, but kept checking and updating Lubuntu as a secondry OS until I found I really liked LXQt.

Now out of 4 PCs I have Mint-XFCE and Lubuntu on one desktop box and one notebook each. Now all have 8GB RAM.

One notebook (2 core, post-consumer, smashed up keyboard) is now beached and permanently attached to external mouse and wired keyboard and an old 50in. TV that can’t decode the latest on air HDTV, perfect for couch productivity and potatoing. Documentaries and 1930s movies on 50in. are plenty spectacular for me.

One desktop is my electronics lab PC and is also a file backup server.

My quirk is modest but I find it interesting: I massaged LXQt and XFCE to the point that they are quite similar on the surface. Settings GUIs are different, but when not fiddling with configurations, sometimes I need to look at details to remember which DT I’m using. Lubuntu feels definitely faster.

I considered upgrading my more muscular Mint desktop PC (4 core, still about 15 y.o.). I might do it after I feel the even older 2 core Lubuntu PC can do everyday duty. Other than running virtual machines I can’t think of anything the weaker desktop machine can’t do.

3 Likes

Daily light works, such as Youtube, Netflix watching, email, SNS, etc
Sometimes, I play my guitar with Giutarix, too.

2 Likes

As you may have noticed (i.e. read earlier in this thread), I’ve moved on to greener pastures, but those are not much difference from the Lubuntu realm.

Although, I forgot it (more or less), I mostly read e-mail (with Thunderbird, of course) on a clouded virtual machine running Lubuntu :slight_smile:

Yeah, I almost forgot, since reading e-mail on other devices is always (or mostly) xfreerdp-ed to that Lubuntu instance. Thanks to some scripting the underlying OS is not very visible. It is just another window popping up which happens to be running Lubuntu, showing Thunderbird.

How could I forget about it?

1 Like

Hello,
Lubuntu is used for lightweight computing tasks like browsing and editing. While not ideal for high-end gaming, you can still play lightweight games. Users often customize it by adjusting the desktop environment and installing themes.
Thank you

I am not into gaming (not anymore, after being hooked on xtetris in the '80s of the previous century), but, I really don’t understand why people say that Lubuntu / LXQt would not be suitable for playing games on Linux.

Any latency caused by some fundamental choices made by the designers/coders of Linux when Linux was first conceived, in comparison with Windows, will be equal on any Linux desktop.

In my experience (even without gaming) KDE Plasma is much heavier on screen interaction, to give an example. Objective tests are available.