on

there is a link at “How to create a swapfile in Lubuntu 20.04 & 20.10 20.04”
Lubuntu 22.04 is missing

If I click on the link, then this web-page will appear:

Point 4
Point 4 is not clear for me.
“Make the swap file permanent
Back up the /etc/fstab file in case thing goes wrong:”
“Make the swap file permanent” and “Back up …” are two different things for me. So, what?

Point 5
Point 5 is not clear for me.
“/swapfile none swap sw 0 0”
But in Lubuntu 22.04 there is already this line at the second last line of the document:
/swapfile swap swap defaults 0 0
So, should I replace that line?
“[…] and confirm that there are no other “swap” lines”
How should I confirm it?

And in the document with the title “How to create a swapfile in Lubuntu 20.04 & 20.10” after
sudo rm -i /swapfile
I would add this line:
free -h
with this kind of commentary:
to verify if the swap file was really removed (“removed” in the meaning of that the Swap is 0)

The instructions are for 20.04 (and 20.10) because after that the option to add a swapfile was integrated into the installer. Before that it had to be done manually. You should see the drop down option that you can select a swap to file or none in 22.04.

4 Likes

Indeed, in Lubuntu 22.04 there is a drop down option in the installer (I think that it is in the option “Erase disk”). But the created swap-file is very small: I use a 8GB RAM and the space of the swap-file is only 511Mb (I can see the size of the swap-file after the installation in the program Qps, what can be opened with Ctrl+Alt+Delete). On the web-page SwapFaq - Community Help Wiki, a swap space of 11GB is recommended when using 8GB RAM with hibernation (the numbers are in a table).

I would change the title of the documentation from “How to create a swapfile in Lubuntu 20.04 & 20.10” to “How to create a swap-file or rather how to change the space of a swap-file”, so the documentation is for all users.

Modern calamares (as used in recent releases of Lubuntu; 21.04 or later) defaults to creating/using a swapfile even when the drop down item isn’t offered (the drop down allows you to disable the default). That was talked about a bit in the swap FAQ post a little.

What update(s) do you have in mind? I also don’t know what access rights you have with Ubuntu, eg. can you access pad.ubuntu.com with write access? as I can see this site doesn’t allow you to directly edit our wiki page yet.

I could upload the text somewhere eg. pad.ubuntu.com, notes.lubuntu.me, even gdoc such as here , and you make your suggested changes, and we apply them :slight_smile:

The same may apply to the FAQ that was written.

Would anything like this work for you? If you have an alternative, please let me know. The more help we get, the better we can make our beloved Lubuntu product.

If you’d instead suggest we create a new page that shows readers how to change the existing 512MB swapfile to a larger file, that would be welcome too (I suspect the existing 20.04 & 20.10 page won’t apply when 20.04 reaches EOL next April)

Thank you for your suggestion(s), and helping to make Lubuntu better.

1 Like

I mean with update just some changes of text, so it is also for users who are using Lubuntu 22.04.

I think it is better if one person is responsible for the documentation and is making changes, while other users like me can make suggestions.

Here my suggestions for the Faq:
1a
Now:
Lubuntu 20.04 LTS allows you to create swap partitions in the Manual partitioning area, and post-install you can setup and use swap files, please refer to How to create a swapfile in Lubuntu 20.04 & 20.10
My suggestion:
Lubuntu 20.04 LTS allows you to create swap partitions in the Manual partitioning area, and post-install you can setup and use swap files (see How to create a swap-file or rather how to change the space of a swap-file).

1b
Now:
Lubuntu 21.04 and later provide more options too.
My suggestion:
Lubuntu 21.04 and later provide more options too (see next question).

Here my suggestions for the document “How to create a swap-file or rather how to change the space of a swap-file”:
2a:
see my Point 4 of my report on top; some text for a better understanding would be good

2b:
see my Point 5 of my report on top; some text with something like this would be good:
In case this line “/swapfile swap swap defaults 0 0” is already part of the document, you do …

2c:
After
sudo rm -i /swapfile
I would add this line:
free -h
with this kind of commentary:
to verify if the swap-file was really removed (“removed” in the meaning of that the Swap is 0).

2d:
to the layout:

• I would make more free space between each point, to have a better structure
  • I would make each point in bold
  • point 1 starts on the left; it is not clear why in all other points there is free space on the left side; I think all points should start at the same position on the left side
2 Likes

For Lubuntu 22.04, I recommend to use also this web-page:

Has anyone an explication why in Lubuntu 22.04 on a computer with 8GB RAM, the swap-file is only a 511Mb, although ubuntu recommands at least 3GB (see SwapFaq - Community Help Wiki)?

It seems to be that you didn’t like my suggestion because there is no progress. OK, so, just create documents (I think 3 documents would be good, 1 the faq, 2 till 21.10, and 3 since 22.04 and above), tell me them locations and I will edit them.

I made some changes with Swap and Lubuntu (FAQ) but not all, as adding the text “see next question” when the next question was the next word seemed redundant to me.

I haven’t looked at How to create a swapfile in Lubuntu 20.04 & 20.10 yet, your response is a open window on my other screen, as well as the text of the page for edits… I just haven’t got around to it.

It’s on my to-do list, as well as a 20.04.5 failure I want resolved most likely via workaround documentation page, a 22.04/kinetic install failure to login & other stuff… I’ll get to it when I have a chance, or need/want to clean up my screen of all these open windows before I reboot which I do about every 14 days. Your reply is sitting on a firefox browser window (ie. task, all related stuff sharing the same window) of mine until I do it, but it’s not my only to-do-window on that screen - it’s one of many

2 Likes