Gone for a while or always

Lubuntu 20.04 LXQT is fast and personally I find it much better than xfce.
The only reason why I leave Lubutu, temporarily or permanently is that there is no clear to-do list after installation like with Ubuntu or Linux mint and so many other Linux distros. If you do not know much about computers, you will be without a firewall on the net before you know it. So without help from solid list, Lubuntu is not for beginners in my opinion

What is worse than no firewall? A wrong configured firewall.

Please explain which rules you needed to apply to make Lubuntu more secure.

1 Like

Also, why would you leave a distro that you like better and that you’ve already figured out how to set up the way you want? That’s just bizarre.

I’m confused, don’t most (if not all) Linux distros come with iptables loaded with some basic rules enabled?

You’re assuming too much.

Well then what about for Lubuntu at least? I had always thought some basic form of a firewall would be enabled by default.

Nope. Debian and Ubuntu don’t do it and neither do we.

To be perfectly clear, iptables is installed but its only rule is to allow all traffic.

1 Like

the ufw firewall is installed but not activated. but if you finish the other points of the Ubuntu list https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/p/speed-ubuntu.html (some of them with a custom command for featherpad) Then is the Lubuntu system is completely upset and I get a large keyboard on my screen after restart.
so some gnome or gtk programs are not compatible with lxqt at all nor do I know what to replace them with, I don’t know anything about computers.

These might add some additional insight as to why:

https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/99104/do-i-need-a-special-firewall-on-a-personal-computer

https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/383013/why-does-debian-come-without-a-firewall-enabled-by-default/383017

https://www.quora.com/Why-doesnt-Linux-need-a-firewall-by-default-like-Windows-does

So why don’t you ask about solving these things instead of simply running away? If you don’t know anything, the first step to filling in that gap is asking questions.

1 Like

Found this in the first link (found it funny):

• You connect directly to the Internet with a public IP address and then join a bunch of IRC chat rooms daring the occupants to hack you.
  • You are being hunted by a nation-state.

That was it though (as in I remember now)! You guys are correct. I was just about to mention ufw. I forgot about how that all gets setup by default and whatnot. Thanks for the reminder.

Cheers

I rather liked the top answer on the Quora one, essentially suggesting that such thinking (I need a firewall and an anti-virus or my computer’s going to blow up!) comes from Windows-thinking that really isn’t appropriate. Admittedly I don’t think that a firewall or anti-virus is bad or out of place, but if you’re not on Windows, most malware (99%) just isn’t applicable at all.

So that’s why they advise on the Ubuntu forum (see link:https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/p/security.html point 1.2.1) to activate the firewall
To enable and check the firewall in Lubuntu, do the same as in the link.

Where they say:

By default the firewall isn’t activated, because in a default installation it’s not needed.

Also that is NOT the Ubuntu forum. That’s some random person posting random stuff about Linux. I’ll add their own description for the website is:

Complete starter’s guide for Linux Mint.

which is not Ubuntu, or Lubuntu, or any other 'buntu.

They go on to say:

Linux Mint is “Linux made easy”, or even “Linux for dummies”. It’s eminently suitable for beginners with Linux, and has become very popular because of that.

and that is exactly what Mint is known for. In fact, they’re known for being so user-centric, you shouldn’t need anything else.

Mint’s own website says:

It works out of the box
It’s safe and reliable.
Linux Mint requires very little maintenance (no regressions, no antivirus, no anti-spyware…etc).

…which is like saying you don’t need to do anything with the firewall.

So you’re trying to tell me if it weren’t for this random person, you wouldn’t use Mint, either? That doesn’t make any sense to me.

On the other hand, if you feel like, from your own personal experience, that a guide should be created, I can get that. You should make one or someone else should.

But I wouldn’t expect the Lubuntu Team to make a guide to something they don’t ship any more than I would expect a car manufacturer to make a manual about how to ride a bicycle. Admittedly, that would be a better choice, but I digress.

Another analogy: I’ve used my Lubuntu installation for music production, but I would never expect the Lubuntu Team to write a guide about it.

Maybe we can help you write the guide by helping you fill in the blanks of this guide you found. Ask questions and we’ll be happy to answer.

Might not be a bad idea to turn this into a FAQ. For people coming over from the otherside (now that the dark side had adopted Linux!) the “evident” and “visible” lack of something that reminds/assures them that Linux too is quite secure, isn’t a bad idea - IMHO.

So far as i can see you only read what you want to read wxl.
It is mint for Ubuntu and Linux and Lubuntu is based on Ubuntu.
Sorry but in terms of good advice it is sometimes hard to find here. Is this really the Official Lubuntu Forum?

There’s plenty of good advice. You just have to ask.

Yes, if you ask for it you will get some good advice, but for someone with a low computer knowledge (like me) or someone who just switches from windows to linux, a to do after installation list (like with Ubuntu or Linux mint) is very useful because you don’t know what to ask.
As I mentioned earlier, not everything from the Ubuntu and linux mint lists is recommended to follow blindly as the programs are written in GTK and Lubuntu in Qt and not all of them are compatible. So as soon as there is a good and comparable list I want to install Lubuntu again.

Which ones are you referring to?

I was finishing one of the lists of Ubuntu on Lubuntu I don’t remember which and which points went wrong (some points where you have to use featherpad) but suddenly I only got a big keyboard on my screen and there was nothing I could do.
it may be that I made a mistake somewhere.
But installing a gtk app in a qt working environment would put a heavier burden on the system, which is at the expense of a fast and efficient working environment, I read somewhere.
That is why I ask for a proper do after installation list so that I and others can install the main adjustments and the right programs (qt) without any problems.
Once there was also a program they recommend to install with Ubuntu and I installed a kde program which turned out to be unsuitable