Gone for a while or always

Knowing what to ask is the key to success when looking for help.
Here are my suggestions ( and as suggestions may possibly not work for everyone):

Before installation:

1. Make a list of what you want to use the computer for i.e e-mail,write letters,browse the internet ,watch videos etc etc.

2. Run the Live session and see what applications are available. Will you be able to accomplish the original list with these programs? Does your network work? How about your printer?

3. Read and become familiar with the Lubuntu user manual https://manual.lubuntu.me/stable/

4. If you need any help or more information with anything ask on this forum and you will get good advice.

5. Install the system on you computer. If any further questions/problems come up just ask again.

Hope this helpsā€¦

1 Like

Send a screenshot. Thatā€™s most likely easily resolved.

And what Iā€™m telling you is, unless you have special needs (needing a firewall is one of them as aforementioned), thereā€™s no list of things you need to do. You should understand those lists are simply one personā€™s opinion about what should be done, they are not requirements. Another personā€™s opinion would be in total conflict. Which one is right?

Which one? And why?

Finally, would you please list which GTK programs youā€™re trying to find alternatives for???

I felt the same, though not about firewall. But you have to remember that the more is added to a distro the heavier it would get and thatā€™s not what Lubuntu is. I kept Lubuntu on one of my laptops, but with the new LTS releases for my daily driver I switched to Ubuntu Mate.

Iā€™m not sure I understand what your concern was with Lubuntu?

Please donā€™t get me wrong! I couldnā€™t appreciate more this distribution, it helped me a lot as I was going through a period that I needed a lightweight working distro, Lubuntu gave me this. But as you have said in a previous conversation (when I was talking about the need of tinkering) that people want an out-of-the-box working system and Lubuntu is trying to be just that. Well this is true for the most basic needs - in my opinion(!). I still like Lubuntu, just it needs a lot of work after install in order for small things to work: e.g. in my case taping on touchpad did not work out of the box, setting Chrome as default is not that simple either, syncing Google calendar is more labour intensive on Lubuntu than on other distros (Mate in my case); and Iā€™m sure there are other examples. Still this does not mean that Lubuntu is not fantastic in its own category!

Right. The OP was saying that Lubuntu, like other distributions including Ubuntu and Linux Mint, need a list of a bunch of things that need to be done to make it work, i.e. itā€™s not ready out of the box. So though it seemed like you agree with that idea, I guess not.

This is intentional. Itā€™s very easy to resolve, though. Itā€™s documented in the manual, though.

This is an upstream bug they havenā€™t fixed. Honestly, I think itā€™s actually two bugs: one in LXQt and one in Chrome because it has unique behavior relative to other browsers.

Oh? We donā€™t even have a calendar, so Iā€™m confused here.

While you can make a good point, most of the time good ones, I just think that you are seeing things from a developerā€™s/insiderā€™s point of view (Iā€™m just guessing). You are a good advocate, and this is a good thing! But would you just try to see things from the usersā€™ point of view?! You seem to think that you have done what could be done for the user, being Lubuntu as it is a distro for crappy hardware - even if it is helpful for a lot of us - I honestly think tapping on touchpad could be implemented out of the boxā€¦ OK! Iā€™m done arguing with you I donā€™t think youā€™ll ever see my point. With all due respect, take care!

Ignorant question about this topic: can you compromise the security of your computer by posting information such as the results of ā€œinxi -Fā€ in a forum?

Oh, yes! It certainly can! And there will certainly be a large number of people that will want it. And there will also be a large number of people that donā€™t want it. Riddle me this: who is right?

See also ā€œnatural scrollingā€ that, for example, OS X turns on by default.

Also some people hate blue, you know?