20.04 PCManFM LAN access issues

I have a Synology NAS on my home LAN. When I navigate to it with PCMan using smb I cannot open any of the LibreOffice files on it for editing. Double click the file, the LibreOffice splash-screen appears for a second but nothing ever opens. Right click and “open with” will open a read only file. Doesn’t let me alter any of the permissions. Tested this with Thunar in Xubuntu and everything worked fine. Have never had this kind of issue before. Suggestions?

If you open LibreOffice and then open from there, does it work?

If I open the file from within LO Write it’s the same as the right click in PCMan. It opens a read-only file. For another test I tried editing this file over the network using my Linux Mint Cinnamon laptop and Nemo. Works fine there also. Can open, edit, and save the remote file.

And I presume if you save the file locally you have no problem?

What release of Xubuntu? and the Mint was? What protocol are you using to access your NAS? (SaMBa or NFS?)

Correct that editing a local copy of the file works with no problems. It’s only across the network that I am running into this issue.

Mint 19.3, Xubuntu 20.04, and I am using NFS.

I assume the Xubuntu 20.04 is another box (and not same box on same partition thus you have the same /etc/fstab entry loading the NFS share)

I’m suspicious that different settings exist in your mounting, as I’ve noticed no difference with Xubuntu’s & Lubuntu’s use of NFS (they have the same base & it’s the base that access the NFS anyway).

If you view permissions (of a file on network share), do you see a difference between Lubuntu & your Xubuntu box?

And last but not least, from the NAS, can you edit it with the appropriate button?

Xubuntu was on the same laptop. I played with the 20.04 beta for a few days before deciding to go with Lubuntu. I wiped the laptop and installed Lubuntu.

For another test I setup instances of Lubuntu, Xubuntu, MATE, and Ubuntu in Virtual Box on a Windows 10 machine. Lubuntu still had the same network editing issue. The other three flavors worked fine. There is indeed a difference in the permissions displayed by Lubuntu and Xubuntu. Xubuntu has owner and group as “root” and access as “read & write”. In Lubuntu it is all blank and “forbidden”. It doesn’t allow me to change the permissions. I tweak the settings to match Xubuntu, hit OK, and then reopen permissions and its back to blank and forbidden. If I try to open the NAS location as root I get an access denied dialog.

1 Like

Perhaps it would be better to use stat to figure out permissions since it will tell you what the kernel sees.

Also how is this mounted? Does it normally automount, is it on demand, something you set up? Might look at mount and the contents of /etc/fstab.

1 Like

I have been testing this on several machines by connecting to my Synology NAS , also a Lubuntu share on a 20.04 box and lastly to a Windows 10 share on my LAN.
I can copy and edit text files with FeatherPad (so the issue is not permissions on the share) on all shares with no errors/problems - However when trying to open/edit Libre Office odt files I get the same result as the original poster i.e
“Document in Use” window with text:

Document file ‘test.odt’ is locked for editing by:

Unknown User

Open document read-only or open a copy of the document for editing.

Open Read-Only Open Copy Cancel
As far as I can see this is similar to Bug 1430531. I am also using the Samba protocol.

I tried installing Ubuntu 20.04 one of my boxes and I had no trouble with Libre Office opening/editing the same files.

1 Like

To wxl’s question, my NAS is mounted on demand.

I tried a few different tests yesterday and have not been able to find a solution for this yet.

Could you both share what the mount status for the share is? i.e. mount /path/to/share?

@wxl - Not sure how to check the mount status but:
The share is mounted on demand via PCManFm and I connecting
with the path smb://servername.local/sharedfolder/
I can access,edit and copy everything without error except LibreOffice files -

Is the mount not gvfsd-fuse? If so the entry is:
gvfsd-fuse on /run/user/1000/gvfs type fuse.gvfsd-fuse (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,user_id=1000,group_id=1001)

@leok to be sure, run mount > /tmp/before before mounting the share and then while having the share open in pcmanfm-qt, run mount > /tmp/after and then run diff /tmp/before /tmp/after and provide the results here.

@wxl there is no difference --the files are exactly the same.

Further - I can access and open the odt files with FeatherPad and also ARK with no problems (of course the format is useless to the user).

The fact that you can open them in other programs suggests there is a problem in LibreOffice. However, I’m really not understanding how other file managers seem to do ok. It would be interesting to explore those same mount steps with Xubuntu, or at least Thunar.

Thunar does not work either…already tested it …I will try Xubuntu and see what the result is.Ubuntu works fine -tested earlier today.

I think the next step would be to re-open bug 1430531 .

Fascinating as @Buttbuntu said Xubuntu and MATE worked fine, so that’s also Caja.

Perhaps he tried Thunar with Lubuntu? I did have success with Thunar in Xubuntu.