20.04 PCManFM LAN access issues

Well I guess you could try Thunar in Lubuntu while @leok tries Thunar and Xubuntu and we’ll see what you both come up with!

1 Like

I did try Thunar in Lubuntu - booting up X now and will report back in about 5 min,

1 Like

Xubuntu works fine - edit and save back to network share!

So the question is … bug in PcMan or Libre Office? I am willing to do further tests if needed in the AM, - but calling it a day here.

1 Like

Maybe both? It’s interesting that Thunar provides different results based on the context. Perhaps Lubuntu’s missing some important Samba packages or something???

I wonder if pcmanfm-qt would work in Xubuntu???

I’d also want to see what the results are using the very latest LibreOffice and pcmanfm-qt, i.e. compiled from Git master.

1 Like

Good question…I can try PcMan in X …hang on …

1 Like

pcmanfm-qt works just fine in Xubuntu - open edit and save .

1 Like

Ok, there you go. There’s got to be something different between the two in terms of packages. I can get to this later but if you want to investigate further, find the manifest files in the same directory where the ISOs live and compare them. I’d start with a diff and then eliminate anything that’s obviously not applicable.

1 Like

Will get on it in the AM …

1 Like

There are problems with samba gvfs and libreoffice, I don’t know what thunar uses, but wy workaround is to use cifs:
ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/2014/08/map-network-drive-onto-ubuntu-14-04/

Some food for thought:
Here is a result of looking at the mounts for me

tmpfs on /run/user/1000 type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,size=801880k,mode=700,uid=1000,gid=1001)
gvfsd-fuse on /run/user/1000/gvfs type fuse.gvfsd-fuse (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,user_id=1000,group_id=1001)
/dev/fuse on /run/user/1000/doc type fuse (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,user_id=1000,group_id=1001)

Of note the UID and GID do not match. My user has a UID of 1000 and the GID is 1001
We’ve bumped into that issue before.

Pretty sure I didn’t solve anything there, just muddied the waters.

Also look at:
https://ask.libreoffice.org/en/question/23021/solved-open-ods-or-odt-files-from-a-smb-share-throws-damaged-file-error/

Did some further exploring and tried Sparkylinux LXQt version 5.11
and same problem.PCmanFM-QT can access any file on the share and all apps can open their files except Libre Office.
I am convinced that this is a Libre Office running with Qt issue. Possibly something in the LO environment variables .I will dig deeper and see what we come up with.

1 Like

@leok I thought @kc2bez might be on to something. Could you check into the UID/GID as well as the GID of sambashare just to be sure?

Yes I have checked that.The case is that all the applications are using the same UID/GID and can open/edit/save their files. I have also tried several other distros plus the evil Windows 10/Ms-Office and no problems there either.This is only a problem in Libre Office (on Qt boxes). I am not all that familiar with the coding og Libre Office but I thought it might be something to due with startup script i.e for soffice.bin. Another interesting thing I noticed on my slowest machine was that when I tried to open the files the Libre splash screen appeared for a spilt second and disappeared.

I am in the process of submitting a new bug report on this and hopefully it will be helpful.

2 Likes

@wxl I submitted a new bug # 1875717.
I plan on looking into the log files etc and see if I find anything that might help.

2 Likes

Thanks for looking into this you guys. I’m digging Lub 20.04 and the new LXQt desktop. Going to stick with it and keep an eye out for any relevant updates then retest.

2 Likes

@kc2bez @wxl

Yes @kc2bez was certainly onto something- thanks for pointing us in the right direction…

Following up on my bug report 1875717 I submitted the entries from my syslog on the client- requesting to open the file and when that fails requesting to open a copy which succeeds – again this only happens in Libre Office and all other apps open/edit/save as normal.
The syslog files are available in the bug report.

1 Like

Libre Office has been having problems with this for quite some time.
I found this on bugzilla – Can’t edit file on samba shares – it looks to me like this is a known bug in Libre Office .

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.