Xserver-xorg-video-intel

Why did a new install of 21.10 install the package xserver-xorg-video-intel when the details of the package says “The use of this driver is discouraged if your hw is new enough (ca. 2007 and newer). You can try uninstalling this driver and let the server use its builtin modesetting driver instead.”?

I have
VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Iris Plus Graphics G1 (Ice Lake) (rev 07)
It’s from May 29th, 2019

If the installer added the package - it’ll be there for a reason.

I’ve seen many times where issues are created by users installing the package to try and solve an issue, but created more issues than they initially had (thus filed bugs about it).

If the package is installed, it’s usually better to have it (the installer picked a use-case where the hardware on your install, is better with it than without) OR at worst it’ll do no harm!.

This reply is based on many many discussions on (launchpad) bug reports where the dev (often Daniel Van Vugt or vanvugt) has replied. Most of what is said goes over my head so I can’t be specific. I’ll provide a partial quote (and may replace it with a better one if I come across one; I know there are hundreds)

The “xserver-xorg-video-intel” driver is old and should not be used anymore. It does not hurt to have it installed but nobody should create any Xorg config files that use the “intel” driver.

from https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/1922533 or the first of 34 like results in a query I made looking for something useful to provide as some evidence… there is far better, but finding one I’d like to provide would take time & I don’t think it’s worth it

3 Likes

I’m running Pop-OS 21.10 in my '20 Sys76 laptop . . . so I checked to see if that package is installed in my operating system . . . and it is. It probably has some dependencies or supplies something to another package, so it just goes in. Nothing to lose sleep over . . . there might be 2000 packages in the install, etc.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.