WPS office only runs as root in Lubuntu 18.04

Ciao,

I have a silly question: may Kingsoft better hear an official Lubuntu developer than a simple user like me/us?

Thanks again for your support, specially now that you are surely focused on the new OS version!

Kingsoft is a software company. Being a publicly traded company I’d bet they are primarily interested in profit, and I very much doubt a developer from any flavor/distribution of GNU/Linux would have any influence on them, unless there was a financial incentive involved (such as a chance for sizable subscription fees).

Lubuntu could not include their software; we could not package it in ‘universe’ as it’s not open source software, so we have nothing to offer them.

I cannot see how a developer could have any more sway than that of a user. Numbers are what would influence them; not a single user, but loads of users having the same issue and fear that they’d miss out on subscriptions thus making a change to better their bottom line.

3 Likes

ciao and thanks for your prompt reply!

There’s no harm in trying: you cannot add WPS in Universe repositories, but you can potentially increase their base of users. In this moment, we (Lubuntu users) can’t use Wps.
The real underlying problem is: what can I use for a full compatibility with Office?
In “normal times” I’d use Onedrive, but in this Coronavirus period it could be useful to have an offline solution, like Wps.
In your experience as Lubuntu expert, Onlyoffice could be a viable alternative? I see it’s open source…

Hi!

I tested the version 11.1.0.9505 and you can install using RPM package.
First enable the universe repository and install alien.

sudo apt install alien
sudo alien wps-office-11.1.0.9505.XA-1.x86_64.rpm

The package wps-office-11.1.0.9505.XA-1.x86_64.deb will be builded and you can install with dpkg or APT.

sudo apt install ./wps-office-11.1.0.9505.XA-1.x86_64.deb

Installing this way you can run without superuser.

UPDATE:
Now this just work adding parameters:

sudo alien -dc --fixperms wps-office.rpm
3 Likes

I have no interest in increasing their users. That’s Kingsoft’s job, not Lubuntu’s.

To be honest, nothing except Office itself. For example, I’m sure Kingsoft doesn’t support all of Microsoft Access’ capability and that’s part of Office. Use Windows in a virtual machine and use Access.

However, for spreadsheets and word processing, LibreOffice works great. I will say, though, that the more recent version you use, the better. So use 20.04, not 18.04.

It’s not available from the repositories so you end up with a similar problem as with WPS: you rely on the developer for support. The benefit of it being open source is that other developers have the ability to look at the code and see what it does. Because of this, they might be able to help more. On the other hand, not being an official part of the Ubuntu archives, the Ubuntu community cannot guarantee support at all. Not so true with LibreOffice…

1 Like

I use WPS Office because WPS wpp has a high compatibility than Libreoffice Impress. But for documents, spreadsheets and flowcharts we (I and people where I am work) still use Libreoffice.

Version 11.1.0.8865 of WPS Office was disabling PDF thumbnails. I don’t know if was fixed in the last version, I hope so.
I builded a personal version of deb package of version 11.1.0.8865 to fixed this. Can be downloaded in:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1N7VWc6uz1jEIeluKK4Y1OXrSZiMtTQIy

https://drive.google.com/open?id=10YN80nu3jk7q4zVOHyXc9bMG5t3waAXm

https://drive.google.com/open?id=19sde2DbnHuzd1nd1LzcXekZXdgSbX-ao

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 minutes after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.