Wine installation issue

Hello,
When i try to intall wine on 20.04 directly or via snap the system propose to uninstall few applications:

Les paquets suivants seront ENLEVÉS :
  bluefish bluez-cups bolt file-roller firefox gnome-disk-utility gnome-themes-extra gnumeric grsync  gthumb handbrake inkscape kerneloops libappstream-glib8 libfwupd2 libgtkspellmm-3.0-0v5  libostree-1-1 libxmlb1 mypaint network-manager-gnome plank plasma-discover-backend-snap rpi-imager   sane simple-scan snapd spice-vdagent teams teamviewer unpaper vlc-plugin-svg whoopsie xournal   xscreensaver-data-extra xscreensaver-gl

(Translation: The following packages will be REMOVED)

can you help me to install wine without uninstalling these useful applications?

Regards

You’re like using an inappropriate source for wine for your system, thus the removal is required if you use that source.

I’d suggest running (and posting output so we can see it & suggest alternatives)

apt-cache policy wine

as it’ll show where your wine is coming from, as I suspect it’s not Ubuntu – Details of package wine in focal, though if it is from there; the removals are possibly consequences from a prior command (apt logs are found in /var/log/apt/history.log)

2 Likes

here is the result of apt-cache policy wine

wine:
  Installé : (aucun)
  Candidat : 5.0-3ubuntu1
 Table de version :
     5.0-3ubuntu1 500
        500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal/universe amd64 Packages
        500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal/universe i386 Packages
2 Likes

Okay, that’s the expected package for Lubuntu/Ubuntu 20.04 LTS, so thank you.

Can you please post the full details for your command and messages, as your system includes many packages that should not exist in a Lubuntu 20.04 LTS system.

Was this a Lubuntu 18.04 LTS system that was upgraded? as that would explain the packages on a Lubuntu 20.04 LTS system. Upgraded systems are not supported as the release notes explained with warnings of breakage/problems.

Note, due to the extensive changes required for the shift in desktop environments, the Lubuntu team does not support upgrading from 18.04 or below to any greater release. Doing so will result in a broken system. If you are on 18.04 or below and would like to upgrade, please do a fresh install.

2 Likes

if i understand your question, i installed this os last year, so first install of 20.04 LTS, it’s not an upgrade of 18.O4 LTS.

for full detail, i need to replay the sequence.
thanks

1 Like

I followed the procedure given in wine [Wiki ubuntu-fr] chapter 2.4.
repository wine is added but It doesn’t work.

me@mycomputer:~$ sudo apt install –install-recommends winehq-stable
Lecture des listes de paquets… Fait
Construction de l’arbre des dépendances
Lecture des informations d’état… Fait
E: Impossible de trouver le paquet –install-recommends

me@mycomputer:~$ sudo apt install winehq-stable
Lecture des listes de paquets… Fait
Construction de l’arbre des dépendances
Lecture des informations d’état… Fait
Certains paquets ne peuvent être installés. Ceci peut signifier
que vous avez demandé l’impossible, ou bien, si vous utilisez
la distribution unstable, que certains paquets n’ont pas encore
été créés ou ne sont pas sortis d’Incoming.
L’information suivante devrait vous aider à résoudre la situation :

Les paquets suivants contiennent des dépendances non satisfaites :
winehq-stable : Dépend: wine-stable (= 6.0.2~focal-1)
E: Impossible de corriger les problèmes, des paquets défectueux sont en mode « garder en l’état ».

the other way i tried is to install via discover → snap.
It was this one who ask to uninstall few packages
Do you want i retry it?

1 Like

I have no experience with that 3rd party version of wine, and unless absolutely required, I’d always opt for the Ubuntu repository package, as it’s tested to work with your release and is also tested and won’t create issues come release-upgrade time (or issues will be documented; usually with work-arounds or recommendations)

What conflicts exist with 3rd party packages we won’t know about, and I can’t comment on; as it’s easy to explore Ubuntu & Debian packages using infrastructure; but 3rd parties often don’t include equivalent tools.

In your case; I’d recommend removing the 3rd party wine packages and instead using Ubuntu provided package(s) I provided a link in my first response.

However your system isn’t a clean Lubuntu one given the packages you posted about; so either you didn’t format during an install (did you?) or 'you’ve got a lot more at play’ than presented that is complicating things here … ie. your list of packages to be removed in initial question contains many packages that existed in a Lubuntu 18.04 or earlier release and won’t on modern & supported Lubuntu, thus your system isn’t a normal Lubuntu one. A no-format install of a modern Lubuntu (ie. 18.10 or later) may explain your packages, but the unclean nature of your system (ie. not pure Lubuntu LXQt) maybe also complicate things here, or at the very least brings me to the conclusion that I don’t know enough about your system.

1 Like

I conclude my Lubuntu install is not “regular”. This is weird because i installed from an empty new partition. A last question, is there something to do to return to a normal Lubuntu, a kind of “system upgrade”?
Thanks guiverc for the time spent on this issue.

Personally I don’t worry about unclean installs of Lubuntu. Yes it’s not ideal (for example more complex installs can have issues when it comes to release-upgrade time) but when it’s only Ubuntu repository software, issues are usually minor. My own primary box has multiple desktops installed as I also like Xfce/Xubuntu, use GNOME/Ubuntu when I want a change… (ie. my box is very unclean & bloated).

Note: It’s not my only box; If I have an issue on this box; I’ve clean installs too so I can verify it’s not an issue because of my unclean/bloated install… I’m using this box much of each day so I want it how I want it.

For 3rd party packages (which create the bulk of issues; as Ubuntu’s CI infrastructure catches most package conflicts during normal build/testing but it only checks Ubuntu repository packages) I’d use ppa-purge if you’re not exactly sure of what needs to be removed manually.

I’ve often suggested to users on support sites that an unclean install is what I’d do in their shoes… and I was expecting you to tell me this is what you’d done. By unclean install I mean what Lubuntu testcases call a “Install using existing partition” (see this link to understand our QA testcases) as whilst the result is very clean IF it was a simple (Lubuntu) install you’re installing onto, it can get more complicated if it was another flavor of Ubuntu, esp. if the user had issues they’d tried to fix with sudo apt install --reinstall thus causing manually installed flags to exist on packages that were part of the other flavor… My assumption was this is what you’d done, over a Lubuntu/LXDE install for example…

If it was me fixing my install; I’d spend my time look in apt logs (/var/log/apt/history.log etc; I looked and this box has more than 12 months of details) looking for clues, or list of packages (also quite possible using aptitude interactively; terminal tool like muon) as I’d be more interested in how they go on my install over removing them. I’d expect once I’ve found the reason for why they’re installed, an easy fix to remove would occur to me (I also might decide to keep some having found out why I installed them…). Again having a clean install wouldn’t worry me - just that it works for me.

I concluded in my last reply your issue wasn’t those packages; but 3rd party

wine-stable (= 6.0.2~focal-1)

when my rmadison wine-stable reports what is expected for 20.04 is

wine-stable | 3.0.1ubuntu1 | focal/universe | all

ie. to me, most problems are the 3rd party packages where ppa-purge is the usual fix.

(I could go on with more of what I’d do, but I’m not sure they’re ideal approaches; and searches online of various answers on askubuntu.com etc I think are worse than what I’d do, so I won’t provide links to them either… Sorry right now I’ve got nothing further…)

1 Like

To add to the above, I’ve got a quick and easy way to reset your repositories to the default - without any additional applications and in just a couple of steps.

That’s how I do it when I’ve gone a step too far and need to rein things in. ppa-purge will do the job just as nicely, but this is a handy alternative.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.