Why disk gets stuck or protected?

This is the problem that is hampering me a lot at recent times. When I start my pc, sometimes in the disk, files get protected. I can not delete anything. Even I can not download anything. After restart It is ok. But I have to do fsck check as busybox starts and press y again and again until a to all comes. I am eager to suggestions about this.

Are you saying your file-system goes into a RO state?

For a file-system to flip into RO state, a potentially serious error has been detected, and the flipping to RO is to prevent data loss by it being ignored. If this is what you mean, you have a problem (likely hardware) which is causing it…

I’d validate your disk/drives health (Smartmontools - Community Help Wiki) and if that checks out, I’d do a cap-check of your motherboard, and or test of your PSU (power supply) or look for some cause (do you have clean power? need a better or new power filter? temperature staying within limits, etc)

As I read your situation, it’s a warning of more serious coming problems… thus I’d look for the cause. But do you mean a RO file-system?

2 Likes

Okay, I am not sure about RO file system. The problem is that my lubuntu shows initramfs everytime I try to open my lubuntu.
After fsck and a lot of y press it says, the filesystem is modified. Then by exit command, lubuntu starts. The problem starts when I use for some time. Sometimes the system gets slower or files get protected.
Before this post, I was not sure about the problem. So I installed lubuntu fresh by formating previous one in the same pc. First few days were good but the problem was still here. Now I am guessing the problem is in hardware and I need suggestions.

I’ve already suggested disks/sdd, motherboard & power. The only thing I can think of further is memory (testing that at least is easy)

1 Like

Yes, I have checked the battery(laptop) plus heating which is normal. I also have cleaned the motherboard and checked all the cables connected and everything looks fine as before. For better understanding about the power problem, I have used the laptop with only direct power(removing battery) for a day.
I still am facing the read-only file system sometimes and the annoying busybox almost everytime I open my lubuntu. The read-only file system is a impediment to my use as everything freezes and the system works slower than usual.I am at a loss to know what is next?

Have you checked the health of your hard disk (or ssd) and of your ram?

It really does sound like either a dying hard disk or faulty memory. This means your system could die at any moment. Make sure you have backups of anything important in case it does.

Okay, ram must be working fine as I have tried TAILS (runs on ram only). So I find the hdd faulty one ( slow operation and read-only file system ).
It is time to change the storage device to come back in life.
I also appreciate the advice.

Booting and using another OS isn’t a valid memory test unless you use every possible bit of ram in almost every combination (all 1111, all 0000, 1010… 0101… etc), which would take weeks-months (if not years) of use to achieve (and impossible to know it’s done unless you wrote or reviewed all the code run to ensure it used all ram/combinations). Faulty RAM stores certain values, but not others (a certain bit will may always be 0, or 0 if the value besides it is 0, will always be value to right instead of it’s own value). The end result is usually data corruption users rarely notice (blaming a typo for example). Crashes only occur if it occurs in program code area & not data areas unless you box has ECC memory (meaning the OS detects it instantly).

It’s far more time effective to run a memory testing routine and have it check for you (and it’ll take less than a day), which you find on the Lubuntu installation media

https://manual.lubuntu.me/stable/1/1.3/installation.html

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/FaultyHardware

1 Like

As per your suggestion, I did the memory test with the help of a live usb of lubuntu twice and it passed with zero errors.
Also I used the gsmartcontrol to run extended self test and ended up with a result: interrupted(host reset).

SMART Extended Self-test Log Version: 1 (1 sectors)
Num Test_Description Status Remaining LifeTime(hours) LBA_of_first_error
# 1 Extended offline Interrupted (host reset) 10% 7509 -
# 2 Short offline Completed: read failure 00% 7505 413696
# 3 Short offline Completed: read failure 00% 7504 413696
# 4 Short offline Completed: read failure 00% 7504 413696
# 5 Extended offline Aborted by host 70% 7483 -
# 6 Extended offline Interrupted (host reset) 10% 7481 -
# 7 Short offline Completed without error 00% 3871 -
# 8 Short offline Completed without error 00% 3667 -
# 9 Short offline Completed without error 00% 3633 -
#10 Short offline Completed without error 00% 3305 -
#11 Short offline Completed without error 00% 3299 -
#12 Short offline Completed without error 00% 3268 -
#13 Short offline Completed without error 00% 3178 -
#14 Short offline Completed without error 00% 3075 -
#15 Short offline Completed without error 00% 3049 -
#16 Short offline Completed without error 00% 3025 -
#17 Short offline Completed without error 00% 3006 -
#18 Short offline Completed without error 00% 2996 -
#19 Short offline Completed without error 00% 2964 -

Dis I miss anything?

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.