Why are you using Lubuntu?

Hi, I’m Smeghead67 I’ve been into Foss, since 2007. I started off on windows using firefox and thunderbird. I tried and liked Kubuntu and used it until the other day when this 13 year old laptop was struggling. I was running LTS and keeping it vanilla. So I needed a change. I wanted to stay in the Ubuntu flavors so I’m trying this. I’m liking it so far also.

So, why are you using Lubuntu?

4 Likes

I needed a lightweight distro based on Ubuntu for my older laptop. At the time, that was Lubuntu with LXDE. I had tried other flavors such as Xubuntu and while Xubuntu itself also tried to be lightweight, Lubuntu with LXDE was definitely a different comparison. My laptop wasn’t that old but I knew it was dying based on its performance with Windows (which it was running). Changing to Linux/Lubuntu pretty much breathed new life into it.

My decision to put a Debian/Ubuntu flavor on my laptop was purely based on the community consensus at the time of what distro was well supported and being well-supportive of proprietary hardware or perhaps of which distro tried to make it easy. At the time, that was Ubuntu (even on distrowatch; specifically Linux Mint).

My personal opinion on that is that Ubuntu still makes it easier than most. I don’t agree with everything Canonical does (e.g. snaps) and I don’t agree with everything done with Ubuntu (i.e. Gnome) but out of all the distros out there, I think Ubuntu at least makes some kind of effort to make things “just work” for those who like Debian systems.

I tried Arch once and I didn’t see the appeal. It was just yet another way to do the same thing… GNU/Linux itself is a huge ecosystem on its own and one of the things that drives the experience you get is basically the kernel. Different projects just use different software to deliver the experience they want to give people…but under the hood, they’re all using Linux.

I use Lubuntu instead of regular Ubuntu because even though Canonical tailors Gnome to be usable, Gnome itself is still a bad desktop (IMO). My personal favorite is Linux Mint but for my laptop, Lubuntu has done wonders. I was worried about the change to LXQt but overall the maturity has been rather pleasant.

I haven’t seen any drawbacks as of yet except for the ones inherited from Ubuntu (e.g. snaps) and while I can’t claim any software is perfect, Lubuntu gets the job done for me. I support their new focus and I wish them the best moving forward.

6 Likes

Can I cheat and just link to something to save some time?

That’s why I use Linux - but Lubuntu is mentioned and the reasons are the same.

5 Likes

I have a Macbook Air from 2017 aka MacOS and it was starting to get annoyingly sluggish especially when editing. I realize this laptop is not meant for heavy duty, nevertheless I’ve got heavy things that need to be done (as in, I use Shotcut / Kdenlive / Audacity / Handbrake, etc).

I had to switch to something lighter or I was going to lose my mind. And voila; with Lubuntu, the RAM usage dropped from an average 7GB out of available 8GB to 1 to 2 GB / 8 GB. The computer is finally ultra responsive and I don’t have to listen to the spinning fan nearly as much.

And hey, it’s Linux. I’ve tried distros here and there since 2004. I never stuck with Linux since I needed the infamous Adobe Suite. Now I feel I can survive without it somehow. Sure, Krita is not exactly Photoshop. Sure, Shotcut may not be as complete as Premiere. But I can get around many things and achieve the same results if I keep reading and studying the software around.

4 Likes

I think of Lubuntu as Ubuntu (just a different desktop), and Ubuntu is not all I use as I use Debian & Ubuntu somewhat equally.

I’m no fan of GNOME; yes it’s functional & I can use it efficiently for a day or sometimes a couple of days before I’m pulling my hair our; so whilst it’s installed on my system, I only rarely use it (a change is as good as a holiday?).

I’m a lover of multiple desktops, so as already mentioned this box has GNOME installed on it; Lubuntu’s LXQt, but also Xubuntu’s Xfce. I love Xfce too. My Lubuntu/LXQt desktop is made up to match my Xfce one, so it’s easy for me to forget which I’m using (the WM themes the easiest give away)

Why Lubuntu/LXQt - it’s light, efficient & stays out of my way, letting me do what I need to do.

Xfce does that too, and GNOME can on occasion (as in ‘stay out of my way’, GNOME isn’t light & even modern Xfce isn’t as light as it was though it’s not too bad when using GTK3 apps) but I find it regularly getting in the way (thus the hair pulling). I could use MATE or KDE too, but again I’m back to pulling my hair out every so often (which I can’t keep doing!) thus I stick where it just works for me.

FYI: This is a 2009 dell desktop; so a light desktop is somewhat important. Yes I’ve got newer boxes (with noiser video fans), but Lubuntu is light enough I can use this box that I’d prefer and not lose out.

I’m probably using Ubuntu 70% of the time (and that’s mostly Lubuntu); but I’m using GNU/Linux 100% of the time

5 Likes

Yup. That sums it up nicely.

When the switch was made to LXQt, I was dubious that it’d be the same - but it really is quite similar in resource usage. It’s still not a heavy/awkward desktop environment, for which I’m quite grateful.

6 Likes

It’s light weight and stays out of way. I have 10 year old desktop with i3-540 and 4GB RAM with GA-H55M-S2 motherboard.

Plus perfectly suitable for three coolest programming language - Common LISP, Erlang and Haskell. All you need is Vim and Emacs, both of which takes very less RAM.

My only gripe is there is no low memory usage web browser available. Launch Firefox or Chrome and each can easily takes 1-1.5 GB of RAM very easily with couple of tabs only. But that is not Lubuntu issue.

:heart_eyes: - Lubuntu.

3 Likes