Where is the Lubuntu 24.04 Noble ISO test?

Hello.
Thanks for reading my topic.
Have any Lubuntu 24 Noble ISO for test ?
If has that ISO test is stable ? Have issues ?

Have an nice day.

You can view the Ubuntu ISO QA tracker for noble here - https://iso.qa.ubuntu.com/qatracker/milestones/450/builds

You can also click a few links and see the number of tests recorded on the site here, which will include all of Ubuntu and flavors such as Lubuntu, but a quick scan of that list will show 3 Lubuntu members on that list (and Iā€™m not counting @leok who is also on that test, and has done two install tests on the current ISO)

Some clues as to my primary system can also be shown in the following

guiverc@d7050-next:~$   neofetch --off
guiverc@d7050-next 
------------------ 
Host: OptiPlex 7050 
Kernel: 6.5.0-10-generic 
Uptime: 22 hours, 24 mins 
Packages: 3362 (dpkg), 20 (snap) 
Shell: bash 5.2.15 
Resolution: 1920x1080, 1920x1080, 1920x1080, 1280x1024, 1280x1024 
DE: LXQt 1.4.0 
WM: Xfwm4 
WM Theme: Pills 
Theme: Greybird [GTK2/3] 
Icons: oxygen [GTK2/3] 
Terminal: qterminal 
Terminal Font: IBM Plex Mono Text 14 
CPU: Intel i5-6500 (4) @ 3.600GHz 
GPU: AMD ATI Radeon HD 5000/6000/7350/8350 Series 
GPU: Intel HD Graphics 530 
Memory: 8514MiB / 15842MiB

ie. Iā€™m using Lubuntu noble as my daily system; I use xfwm4 instead of openbox probably the only real change on my box.

2 Likes

Thanks.
Hey ā€¦ Lubuntu noble is stable ? Any issues in your machine ?

Iā€™ll use the official use of the term stable, where Lubuntu noble wonā€™t be treated as stable until we reach RC or Release Candidate stage which isnā€™t expected to be reached until on or after 18-April-2024.

My neofetch paste shows the system having been up for ~22 hours.

Prior to those ~22 hours, I was running jammy or my 22.04 LTS install on this box (itā€™s dual boot) for at most an hour (I update my installed packages, update my user files where required) before I normally return to using this development (noble currently) system which was run for just over 17 days. My normal routine has me keep my box running for two weeks (~14 days) so I was only a little behind on my normal reboot/update & return.

I donā€™t recall any issues since late August 2023, which was in the mantic cycle anyway; but minor issues where I donā€™t need to do anything to resolve something I usually forget.

3 Likes

No, Noble is far from stable. Right now there are several issues with the installer for more than one flavour of Ubuntu. We can expect many hiccups during the development period not only with the installer but also with some of the new versions of application programs in the installed system.

2 Likes

My prior comment mainly related to my using Lubuntu noble as a daily system, ie. an installed system. In that regard Iā€™m very happy with our noble progress (reminder: most of LXQt 1.4 is available via backports anyway).

I have two noble boxes that are used daily, my second Iā€™ve already had to re-install this cycle, though that failure I gather related to EFI keys & thus was not a Lubuntu specific issue.

The installer however is a different issue as @sudodus has pointed out; if you go back to the link I provided earlier this page (*where I referred to LeĆ³ (@leok) who at the time I posted it had only the only two tests on that page (both successful)), youā€™ll see itā€™s no longer alone, with Nio & myself, and even LeĆ³ having failures.

Failures do occur during our alpha stage, and whilst Iā€™ve performed fewer install tests than Nio & for sure LeĆ³ so far this cycle, my failure rate is actually higher than my norm for this stage in the cycle (or at least it feels that way), mostly related to install failures. Install failures tend to increase for awhile after newer calamares versions are rolled out, plus weā€™ve added numerous install options this cycle; thus its a very large change currently being tested; and yep we do have installer issues. Weā€™ll get there though (read the bug report on the errors encountered in my provided link, and youā€™ll see weā€™re expecting a fix to appear next ISO for the errors encountered on that day).

3 Likes

Thanks very much for all replies.
The good detail about testing Lubuntu noble is any issue maybe reported so helping in that very good distro.
Have an nice day.

4 Likes

I posted a question over on the main Ubuntu Developmental . . . subforum on a similar thread about ā€œnobleā€ with similar replies . . . that it was still ā€œpre-alphaā€ . . . .

I usually upgrade my Lubuntu install by editing the repos to say ā€œnobleā€ rather than doing a fresh install, so perhaps that method might get around any installer based problems . . . . I got into mantic fairly early, there werenā€™t too many problems other than the GPU spinning up quite loudly for the first 15 minutes of running . . . . Just on Sunday, ā€œLubuntuā€ day, for the first time mantic wasnā€™t ā€œmanicā€ with the GPU . . . ran quietly . . . . So I started thinking that it was time to upgrade into something more ā€œdevelopmentalā€. . . .

Mostly for informational purposes, but that isnā€™t the intended way to release-upgrade a Ubuntu system (Debian yes, not Ubuntu), though its required for the first few hours/days before the new development release was fully functional (ie. in the days of October 2023 just after release of 23.10 before noble gets added to https://changelogs.ubuntu.com/meta-release-development where its no longer required)

You can view our testing checklist on this site where we list the QA tested commands used to release-upgrade a Lubuntu system, ie.

Ā¹ do-release-upgrade -d -m desktop -f DistUpgradeViewKDE
Ā² do-release-upgrade -d

Those commands are how we QA test an upgrade to noble (from mantic, and much later from jammy to noble too) and have been functional for some time now.

I donā€™t see a system as pre-alpha, to me anyway, it reaches alpha when the noble infrastructure is fully functional & dailies start being produced.

All QA testing is helpful where bug reports are found & reported. Most reported are often fixed in mere days (eg. here, but the team cannot fix issues unless reported. Some recent reports include

but none of those will impact an install where a users doesnā€™t ā€˜play with thingsā€™ during their install.

Thank you @este.el.paz for upgrading, and please report all issues you find!

FYI: Lubuntu noble is my daily system & the last issue I recall was end-August during the mantic cycle; so itā€™s been good for me :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yep, others on various forums have said the same thing about editing repos being ā€œnot recommended,ā€ but I have been doing it for years now and it has been ā€œOKā€ in Lubuntu and yes, Debian . . . possibly Mint as well. I have another machine running Pop_OS and that does seem like it is harder to just edit the repos, because that is a stack on a stack on a stack . . . running still on jammy . . . .

Maybe in a few weeks Iā€™ll have the time to jump up to noble . . . ??? I try to post comments if there are any, but still having intermittent problems with the forum, not loading. Iā€™m in Pop right now and one of the links from the digest worked and your post about noble dev did not . . . . Lubuntu && Dev list-serve didnā€™t seem to bring any replies a few months back.

Youā€™ll need to be specific as to what didnā€™t work, if youā€™d like me to have a look & potentially provide an exploration.

We donā€™t always reply to mailing list enquiries; that takes time and none of us an abundance of time, but anything posted to the ML would get 5+ readers I can assure you.

@guiverc:

guiverc: Tried to post the comment below several days back, and then tried to reply to the forum by email, that also ā€œfailed to be deliveredā€ over several days of Google trying to deliver it, by using ā€œreply to this email to post to the forum.ā€ Right now Iā€™m in Pop_OS and the forum appears to be accessible to post this data.