VPN connection how to disable IPv6 permanently and modify DNS servers

I have a subscription with Trust.Zone and it is super easy to use their Windows app. It automatically disables IPv6 and I can turn on DNS leak protection with the touch of a button.

However their solution for Linux is through OpenVPN which I find very difficult to use. They gave me their DNS addresses (two of them) saying that I should modify it in the connection settings to get rid of the DNS leak but I cannot find where I could modify the DNS addresses, plus I do not know where I can turn off IPv6 permanently for that VPN connection. I was able to turn it off temporarily but after reboot it was turned on again. I do not want to go through this each time I want to connect to the VPN…

Can someone help me or link me a good tutorial? I use Lubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver.

It sounds to me like you figured out how to do it, but couldn’t make it permanent, no?

Yes for the IPv6, the VPN provider gave me a tutorial to follow but the tutorial said it as well that it is not a permanent solution… However for the DNS I have no solution yet at all…

And what did you do for the IPv6?

To add DNS server addresses go to Preferences,Network connections,IPv4 settings,additional DNS servers.

1 Like

For the IPv6 I used:

$ sudo sysctl -w net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6=1

and

$ sudo sysctl -w net.ipv6.conf.default.disable_ipv6=1

@leok Thank you but I already tried that and nothing changed… :frowning: But the VPN support wrote me that maybe I tried to edit the DNS in the VPN settings and not in the network settings, so I will try it later today and I will let you know whether it worked or not.

There’s a ton of options for disabling IPv6, including using /etc/sysctl.conf:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/309461/how-to-disable-ipv6-permanently

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Is this still a problem?

This topic was automatically closed 60 minutes after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.