Virtualbox Guest Additions

Hi. Installed 24.04 into a Virtualbox (VB) machine. The desktop is really gorgeous.
I have installed VB Guest Additions multiple times in other linux distrobutions, including Lubuntu 23.10, but this time got an error file /var/log/vboxadd-setup.log that stated, amongst other things that the compiler differed from that used to build the kernel. Never seen that before and don’t have expertise in kernel and compiler things. See text at end of post. Also getting notice that vboxadd service not started. But the Guest Additions appear to work OK: cut and paste works, screen resizing now works. What should I do? Thanks for the expert advice. Best
IMF
The beginning of the log file. There is more.
Building the main Guest Additions 7.0.14 module for kernel 6.8.0-31-generic.
Error building the module. Build output follows.
make V=1 CONFIG_MODULE_SIG= CONFIG_MODULE_SIG_ALL= -C /lib/modules/6.8.0-31-generic/build M=/tmp/vbox.0 SRCROOT=/tmp/vbox.0 -j2 modules
make[1]: warning: -j2 forced in submake: resetting jobserver mode.
warning: the compiler differs from the one used to build the kernel
The kernel was built by: x86_64-linux-gnu-gcc-13 (Ubuntu 13.2.0-23ubuntu4) 13.2.0
You are using: gcc-13 (Ubuntu 13.2.0-23ubuntu4) 13.2.0
make -f ./scripts/Makefile.build obj=/tmp/vbox.0 need-builtin=1 need-modorder=1

cmd_mod /tmp/vbox.0/vboxguest.mod

As you can see, it’s just a warning:

make[1]: warning: -j2 forced in submake: resetting jobserver mode.
warning: the compiler differs from the one used to build the kernel

If it were a fatal error it not only would have indicated that and it would have failed rather than leading to a successful module.

Thanks for reply. But something is wrong because I am getting the notification that vboxadd service isn’t starting, which I’ve never seen before. I guess I can research that independently.
Curious to see if other virtual machine users will run into the same issue or if it is just me.
Thanks
IMF

Here’s the advice I would give:

1. Make sure you use the upstream VirtualBox and not the one from the repos. It will always be more up to date and the upstream developers will actually support you.
  2. Regarding vboxadd, if you’re not seeing an actual error, then I wouldn’t worry about it.

After upgrade to 24.04, I occur same error. I fix it by reinstall virtualbox.

Hi. What version of VirtualBox?
I am on 7.0.14.
I see there is a 7.0.16 but they are also advising to not use it because of a bug.
Thanks.