Using a language other than English? Here's how to get LibreOffice in your language!

If you’re not a native English speaker, you’ve probably installed Lubuntu in your native language. And if you happen to be a LibreOffice user, too, you probably noticed that LibreOffice is not displaying in your language. This is a known bug, and we’re working on it. In the mean time, here’s how to get LibreOffice to display in your native language!

First, you’ll need to open a terminal window. To do this, press Ctrl+Alt+T. You will notice text displayed in the terminal window that looks something like “user@computer:~$”. This is called a “prompt”. You can type commands into your system from here. We’re going to use this terminal to install a “package”, which is a software application or software component. In this scenario, we need to install the package that contains the LibreOffice language support for your language.

To find and install the package, copy the following command:

read lolang; sudo apt update; sudo apt install $(apt-cache search libreoffice-l10n | grep -i $lolang | cut -d ' ' -f 1) $(apt-cache search libreoffice-help | grep -i $lolang | cut -d ' ' -f 1)

Now switch back to the terminal window, right-click within the black area, and click “Paste”. Then press Enter. Type the name of your language, in your language. For instance, if you speak German, type “deutsch”. Then press Enter. Finally, type your password, and press Enter again. You may be asked if you really want to install packages - if so, tell it yes and press Enter one last time. The installation should finish relatively soon.

Once installation is complete, you will see a prompt at the very end of the text in the terminal. Now all you have to do is type “exit”, and you’re done! LibreOffice should now display in your native language. If LibreOffice was open when you did this, you may need to close LibreOffice and open it again.

I hope this guide was helpful to you! Thank you for using Lubuntu, and have a nice day!

6 Likes