Upgrade from 18.04 to 20.04 Kills Openvpn connections

After upgrading from Lbuntu 18.04 to 20.04 LTS, all of my openvpn connections stopped working. Now when I click on the vpn, a message pops up and says “Connection no longer available…” and shows a black lock to the left of it. In 18.04 all the vpn connections worked perfectly. Now none do. Even if I create a new connection in the Network Manager it instantly fails when I try it. Any help here would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

How did you do that?

The Lubuntu 20.04 LTS release notes (in fact all releases note since 18.10) have clearly stated

Note, due to the extensive changes required for the shift in desktop environments, the Lubuntu team does not support upgrading from 18.04 or below to any greater release. Doing so will result in a broken system. If you are on 18.04 or below and would like to upgrade, please do a fresh install.

1 Like

The software updater just said that the upgrade was available, so I went for it. Everything works except for trying to connect to a vpn. There is no connect function on the network icon. Maybe if I reinstall the network manager it will work. Thanks for the reply.

I did the same thing, (it was part of another update) but so far what I am seeing is that /bin/ksh no longer works correctly, there is no command line editing, the key feature of /bin/ksh. I have re-installed ksh, trying to get lubuntu 20.04 compatible versions, but none make the command line editing work yet. I did also find a review suggesting this release was not ready, but unfortunately, i also read that too late. How can I make ksh work again?

In both cases here, the problem likely has nothing to do with Lubuntu (this is certainly true with the ksh issue, but if you want to explore it more, please open a new topic as this is unrelated to OpenVPN).

The 20.04 release is ready and working fine. The issue with the upgrade is not that it doesn’t work, but that you end up with two completely separate desktop environments and two complete sets of applications based on two different GUI toolkits. In some cases, this could lead to a conflict between applications trying to do the same thing. And that is why we don’t recommend it and don’t support it.

My guess is the issue lies with exactly that: two networking applications trying to do the same thing and conflicting with one another. We could dig through this and potentially fix it if we have more logs, but honestly, you’d probably be better off with a fresh install.

The 20.04 install took nearly an hour earlier today, but seemed to be successful. Should I have expectations of that remedying the ksh problem, or are you saying, re-install ksh, which I have done repeatedly, because it takes a few seconds.?

I’m saying ksh has nothing to do with OpenVPN (see the topic) so if you want to explore this issue further, you should open a new topic.

Well here is another interesting thing: the vpns work fine from the terminal. So I guess that I will have to do a fresh install to get the gui to work properly. Thanks for the help. Much appreciated.

I struggle to imagine that this might help but you probably have two networking applets in the system tray. If you can identify which one is nm-tray and get rid of the other, standard NetworkManager one, that might help.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.