Thunderbird cannot start with completely newly installed lubuntu 21.10

I have just installed lubuntu 21.10 from usb-stick and have a complete clean system. And then I installed thunderbird via apt. Everything went well so far.

But thunderbird could not start and an error message appeared: Your Thunderbird profile cannot be loaded. It may be missing or inaccessible.

I can see .thunderbird folder at my home directory. Even deleting this folder will not help.

Any ideas? Thanks.

What happens when you open it in the terminal with the -P flag and then create or try to locate a profile?

thunderbird -P
2 Likes

The same message box of error appears. Below is the command line output.

Error: Access was denied while trying to open files in your profile directory.
Failed to create /home/lubuntu/.cache/mesa_shader_cache for shader cache (Permission denied)---disabling.
Failed to create /home/lubuntu/.cache/mesa_shader_cache for shader cache (Permission denied)---disabling.
JavaScript error: resource://gre/modules/XULStore.jsm, line 66: Error: Can't find profile directory.
JavaScript error: resource://gre/modules/XULStore.jsm, line 66: Error: Can't find profile directory.

I just found that the owner of folder /home/lubuntu/.cache is root. After changing it to lubuntu, thunderbird can start now.

How could its owner be root?

2 Likes

You had installed the OS using username “lubuntu” ?
/home is named “lubuntu” when starting using USB drive.
Before trying use Thunderbird you need figure if the /home/ folder is using your user name.

2 Likes

Yes, lubuntu is my username. Before this new installation, I used an different username. And there was no such issue before.

Is it NOT suggested to use lubuntu as username?

When you start using USB driver Lubuntu Installation is used lubuntu for home.
Yes try install not using lubuntu.
The issues in your post not look being problem with Thunderbird.

Got it. Thanks. Will do with 22.04 installation.

There is no technical problem with using user lubuntu. It is just a bit confusing, because most supporters think that you are using the live usb.

If there are files in your home directory, which are owned by user root, it is normally caused by wrong usage of sudo.

The following should not find any files:

find ~ ! -user $USER
1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 minutes after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.