The end is near?

Is there still a substantial effort of getting Lubuntu 23.10 up and running going on?

I am asking this, because I could nof find any reference to it on the official Lubuntu website.

I’ve seen a good deal of effort going into Lubuntu mantic… Until two days ago, it was my daily driver, alas a problem appeared that has me currently using another box which is running Lubuntu lunar (23.04), so I can use my normal primary machine for some testing & exploration.

Most talk on mantic I see on IRC (as is common), with some bug reports

Aaron (@ArrayBolt3) has left the project due to other commitments, thus some team skill/resources has been lost.

In a little over a week, we’ll be releasing Lubuntu 22.04.3, so I expect to be modifying our testing checklist to reflect that tomorrow, and start our heavy QA of that (my last conversation(s) with team member(s) related to that).

4 Likes

I see.

Thanks for the information. Yeah…I saw that Aaron has been quite active here in the past (as are you and others). I was kinda surprised that he left (soo soon).

Well, now is not a good period. August has just started, and soon I will be on Holiday for the rest of the month and some time in September.

If there is anything I could help with, let me (us) know.

5 Likes

I am still getting daily builds to test nearly every day.

There have been a few days where I did not have time to test, and a couple that I didn’t have time to test as thoroughly as I’d like. For the latter, I just confirm that the known bugs are there still and give a quick look around to see if I can spot anything that’s broken.

There is a picom issue but it only seems to sporadically show up in the live instance (which is what I test).

But, I can confirm that things appear to be moving along. There are new testing releases pretty much every day.

4 Likes

I have a Mantic edition of Lubuntu running on my '12 Mac Pro, overall not radically different than Lunar, except for the first ten minutes or so the graphics card seems to be spinning over at much higher revs than it does in my other linux installs . . . . Eventually it slows down to normal operating speeds . . . I guess the question is why does routine use get the card activated??

Sunday is Lubuntu day in my machine, there were roughly “192” packages to upgrade in the system over the week from the previous Sunday, so something is happening developmentally . . . .

Yeah. Still active. Well…

Let me explain. Lubuntu is based on several giants (of different size).

The first giant is Debian. I can’t stop emphasizing how import Debian has been, still is, and will be, for the foreseeable future of the success of GNU/Linux.

The second giant is Ubuntu. This distribution has made Linux available to the masses. And they should be thanked for that, even if you don’t agree with the path they seem to have taken (commercially). Ubuntu is a great distribution, but not everyone likes their desktop.

The third giant (albeit of less size or importance) is LXQt, and its direct predecessor LXDE (this is about LXQt, so forget about LXDE, which was another endeavour which I liked, btw.). LXQt provides the desktop, the reason people choose Lubuntu.

Lubuntu is not much more than a thin layer of veneer, but a very nice kind of veneer, not rough around the edges, but just veneer, on the cupboard provided with Ubuntu. There are some other differences between Ubuntu and Lubuntu, but generally spoken, that is what Lubuntu is. An implementation of LXQt on Ubuntu.

I appreciate the effort of the people who are actually actively working on Lubuntu. Lubuntu has been an eye opener to me. I have been using it since long time, and I love it. But…I get the same, or equal satisfaction with using Debian 12 with LXQt.

I said this already a long time ago here on this discourse. Why would anyone, or a very small group of people, bother to keep Lubuntu in the air, when it is just a thin layer of veneer? And some artwork, etc… It boils down to me as some kind of narcistic behaviour. "Look Maam…I’ve managed to build my own distribution, and the friendly neighbour Ubuntu provided me with the machines and support to fix it.

1 Like

I sure like that, Debian GNU/Linux is where I first discovered GNU/Linux was more than a hobby platform (ie. more than a toy Unix)… I often use the GNU, as I did have respect for GNU…

Wait??; this system I’m using now I consider a Ubuntu one.

I do see your point though; just not how I want to see it.

Thank you !

Fair enough & you’re lucky. I’ve got a Debian 12 system where I’m really considering replacing it with 22.04 (originally a Debian 6 install; though I’ve re-installed it whenever the PC needed replacing), though I too am happy with my other Debian systems.

Anyway update on my last message; as I’d seen LXQt 1.3 appear on my Debian trixie box & mentioned it (on IRC); I’ve been asked to keep a watch out to ensure Debian’s doesn’t flow through to our Ubuntu mantic repositories, our own packaging was ~half completed.

Lubuntu mantic users shouldn’t see our newer LXQt until it’s all ready; alas that’s not today. Our 22.04.3 looks good though, as does Xubuntu, Ubuntu-MATE, …

I think I’ve made my point clear enough.

There is absolutely no not need to defend yourself, our your coworkers about what you are doing or are trying to achieve. As always…very much appreciated!

One more point I would like to make is that in biology, economy and technology as well, it is dangerous to rely solely on one manifestation of technology.

I like LXQt, and hence I like Lubuntu. And since I like LXQt very much, I Iike also like e.g. EndeavourOS, which is not based on Debian, but uses LXQt as primary desktop. I also like KDE Plasma 5. A great system, but a bit lazy and sluggish on my aging hardware.

I’ve noticed that LXQt has a regular interval of delivering new releases. However, I do not see much real activity in their codebase. That is worrying me. Besides improving and adding translations, fixing typo’s in de code / comments, and occasional bugfixing, there seems not to be real development happening.

Is LXQt finished in the sense that the roadmap to the future is (almost) empty? If so, that would be a very dangerous and alarming situation. Too many examples in history have demonstrated that lack of innovation is very unhealthy.

Well, perhaps I was a bit negative in recent posts.

I see a great unique selling point for the Lubuntu guys who are customising the default Calamares installation ‘traject’ for Lubuntu.

It would be really great if the Lubuntu installation would only offer to install on encrypted disks or partitions.

Think about it. It is very important. Don’t even mention it. Just do it.

guiverc@d7050-next:~$   neofetch 
            .-/+oossssoo+/-.
        `:+ssssssssssssssssss+:`                                                                                                                                   
      -+ssssssssssssssssssyyssss+-                                                                                                                                 
    .ossssssssssssssssssdMMMNysssso.                                                                                                                               
   /ssssssssssshdmmNNmmyNMMMMhssssss/      guiverc@d7050-next                                                                                                      
  +ssssssssshmydMMMMMMMNddddyssssssss+     ------------------                                                                                                      
 /sssssssshNMMMyhhyyyyhmNMMMNhssssssss/    OS: Ubuntu Mantic Minotaur (development branch) x86_64                                                                  
.ssssssssdMMMNhsssssssssshNMMMdssssssss.   Host: OptiPlex 7050                                                                                                     
+sssshhhyNMMNyssssssssssssyNMMMysssssss+   Kernel: 6.3.0-7-generic                                                                                                 
ossyNMMMNyMMhsssssssssssssshmmmhssssssso   Uptime: 1 hour, 17 mins                                                                                                 
ossyNMMMNyMMhsssssssssssssshmmmhssssssso   Packages: 3606 (dpkg), 14 (snap)                                                                                        
+sssshhhyNMMNyssssssssssssyNMMMysssssss+   Shell: bash 5.2.15                                                                                                      
.ssssssssdMMMNhsssssssssshNMMMdssssssss.   Resolution: 1920x1080, 1920x1080, 1920x1080                                                                             
 /sssssssshNMMMyhhyyyyhdNMMMNhssssssss/    DE: LXQt 1.3.0                                                                                                          
  +sssssssssdmydMMMMMMMMddddyssssssss+     WM: Xfwm4                                                                                                               
   /ssssssssssshdmNNNNmyNMMMMhssssss/      WM Theme: Pills                                                                                                         
    .ossssssssssssssssssdMMMNysssso.       Theme: Greybird [GTK2/3]                                                                                                
      -+sssssssssssssssssyyyssss+-         Icons: oxygen [GTK2/3]                                                                                                  
        `:+ssssssssssssssssss+:`           Terminal: qterminal                                                                                                     
            .-/+oossssoo+/-.               Terminal Font: IBM Plex Mono Text 14                                                                                    
                                           CPU: Intel i5-6500 (4) @ 3.600GHz 
                                           GPU: AMD ATI Radeon HD 5000/6000/7350/8350 Series 
                                           GPU: Intel HD Graphics 530 
                                           Memory: 3746MiB / 15842MiB 

LXQt 1.3 (parts anyway) is available now for Lubuntu mantic, though the current daily still uses 1.2.

Thanks @tsimonq2 & developers.

lxqt-about (1.3.0-0ubuntu1) mantic; urgency=medium

* New upstream release.
  * Bump build dependencies.

-- Simon Quigley <tsimonq2@ubuntu.com>  Fri, 11 Aug 2023 09:48:53 -0500

It’s available currently in backports for LTS users too.

4 Likes

I was starting to think that maybe the OP has a point about “the end draws nigh” as a couple of emails sent to the devel list-serve about issues with Mantic went unresponded to . . . .

But, then yesterday and today . . . emails from the devel list-serve from the “Launchpad build service” arrived in my inbox . . . . There are “signs of ‘life’” in the developmental arena . . . as according to the email “stuff is failing to build” . . . . There wouldn’t be emails about it unless there are “resuscitation squads” available to respond . . . to the latest developments happening in Mantic.

3 Likes

Well Debian Better Fix Debian 12! WE ALL USE Debian Because It Works. Then Came Lubuntu. Serfs UP!

You know what they say: patches welcome :wink:

That’s called regular maintenance, and that’s important stuff some projects don’t get enough of.

What revolution are you expecting them to drop?

Well, it sure ain’t Openbox, which we’ve had the same upstream version of in Debian since 2015.

3 Likes

I love LXQt and Lubuntu. Yeah, well… I tend to make some harsh or tickling remarks, now and then, to keep things active and going.

Glad to see that at least some persons took the time and energy to respond in a positive way.

I know software, I know the process of building commercial software, and I think I know how development of Linux works (the kernel, the various shells, the desktop and system and user land software, etc…). I can only be very humble to, and proud of all the people who work on Linux-software (in a broad sense).

I sometimes compare the development of (any) Linux (system) with a biological process. My only fear is that I’ve got my bettings on the wrong “animal” (i.e. the desktop). It may take considerable time to be proven wrong or correct. Many animal species which were very successful long time ago, for a long time, at some time in history disappeared suddenly, quickly, when a terrible accident happened to Earth. Nobody saw that coming.

3 Likes