Testing needed for Bionic Beaver 18.04.4 due 6 February 2020

Bionic Beaver 18.04.4 images are now available for testing and we could use your help doing it. This should be a relatively minor change, mostly with better hardware support. Test them hard and fast, as the plan is to release them officially 6 February 2020 (i.e. in three days).

This is the last point release Lubuntu will be supporting as we stop supporting Bionic Beaver in April 2021, ending our official support of both 32-bit images and LXDE. The Ubuntu Community will continue to support the archive until April 2023 and will issue one final point release, but we will not be participating.

That said, letā€™s make this last one a good one!

If youā€™re new to testing, itā€™s pretty easy and weā€™re happy to help train you! If youā€™ve been wanting to give back to Lubuntu, this is a very simple way to do it.

If you have questions, comments, or concerns, feel free to get in touch.

4 Likes

Will there be a new iso file version to test? I notice that the Lubuntu 18.04.4 system that I installed has updates today, and some other flavours have ā€˜daily point releasesā€™.

The new ISO is to be found under the 18.04.4 section on the ISO tracker (as mentioned in the aforementioned testing wiki) at iso.qa.ubuntu.com. Since 18.04.4 is still in testing, itā€™s possible to find updates on it. The ā€œdaily point releasesā€ are new image spins for that particular day.

I see see only the old iso files dated 20200203, and there are four red bugs now. Will there be a new iso file today? Or tomorrow? What is your plan, do you need more testing, and in that case, when?

I beginning to believe they arenā€™t spinning new ISOs. Iā€™ve seen a couple of bug reports that were closely monitored (that could have caused re-spin) changed to invalid or incomplete.

Take this with a pinch of salt, Iā€™m only an observer

1 Like

OK, maybe this is beyond the control of the Lubuntu team. I will check at the iso tracker later today ā€¦

No more testing is needed at this time. The testing that has been done should be sufficient. The release has been postponed for a week.

1 Like

For future referenceā€¦ and while Iā€™m aware thereā€™s documentation that exists for this topicā€”is it not enough for testing to simply run the live image and do stuff that way or is it most helpful if I actually install onto my PC? I donā€™t exactly have a spare machine I can keep writing over. However, Iā€™m open to something kinda funny where I simply swap out my hard drive and use a spare hard drive to use as a test-bed for a PC I do own. Wouldnā€™t this be possible also?

2 Likes

The most fundamental thing to test is that installation works. Your ideas to accomplish this are good ones. Virtual machines work, too, but donā€™t really test hardware in the same way, so bare metal tests are something we want to have.

Beyond this so-called exploratory testing is really helpful, i.e. trying to use all the applications in different ways. These are a little harder to write test cases for because they are so complex. This can be done while doing image (installation) testing, bugs can be filed and marked on the ISO tracker.

3 Likes

2 posts were split to a new topic: Woe to ye who do not support 32 bit and LXDE