Testing 20.04 daily? [SOLVED]

Something has apparently changed? I definitely tested the bad password on Feb 8, and it didn’t save it. Did you guys switch back to the not-so-robust nm-tray?

The strange thing is: Chris and the maintainer(?) can’t recreate what I’m seeing (the part about no progress nor failure msg. It’s like a bad password does nothing, but get saved as a “known connection.”).

I’m testing Xubuntu’s daily image right now. Its “nm-tray” seems good. I don’t know how all these things might (or might not) fit together. You mentioned using a gtk nm-tray. Would it be possible to use Xfce’s? (I’m assuming the gtk one is not being used now?).

Nope.

What we switched is what would come up when you clicked on “Edit Connections” in the nm-tray right click menu. This was nmtui-edit, a ncurses-powered terminal application. We changed it to nm-connection-editor, which is a regular old GNOME thing.

I think you mean @kc2bez :slight_smile:

As you can see on the bug, me either.

Yeah, their frontend to NetworkManager is different than ours, i.e. they don’t use nm-tray.

1 Like

I guess I misunderstood something. A month ago I tried a bad passphrase and praised nm-tray that that problem didn’t exist anymore. It seemed more robust than I remember in 19.04. You said something which sounded like it explained why nm-tray worked better.

Now it’s acting like 19.04 again, and I’m getting the impression it was never expected to be different. If that’s true, I’m ok with that. I just had the impression that that had changed. When I saw it behave like the old nm-tray I’m familiar with, I thought it was a problem. (I’m still unclear whether it is or isn’t).

Regarding the silent handling of a bad passphrase: when I test the Lubuntu daily again, I will use the journalctl you mentioned.

This part is strange to me because I’ve done it on three laptops, and they all do the same thing (silent handling of a bad passphrase). It’s hard to comprehend why three people are seeing a failure msg. I don’t see how that could be possible unless my daily image was bad. (The checksum matched. And, the files verified during boot.). Hopefully that’s what it is, and a new ISO will make it work the way you guys are experiencing.

We all did. tl;dr only passwords 8-63 characters are valid, but nm-tray appears to take invalid ones and silently fails. Other NetworkManager front ends just refuse to proceed, which is what we should have in nm-tray. Triaged.

Maybe I should mark this solved. This topic started off with my concern about Ryzen 3/Vega 3 (and Ryzen 5/Vega 8) laptops not being able to boot the upcoming LTS (not just Lubuntu, but any Ubuntu-base derivative). Then it turned into how to test. That turned into testing more generically, not just to ensure those laptops will work. (Then, testing more Lubuntu-specific issues.). The tread turned into a collection of topics.

This seems like a good point to call it all “solved.” I’ll start a new thread as more comes up.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.