System program error detected

I keep getting this message after signing on. I click on report problem, but have never received instructions for resolution. The OS seems to be working well other than that. Any suggestions? I have updated the software several times. I have Lubuntu 18.04.2 Bionic Beaver LTS LXDE installed on a higher end formerly XP HP computer that I use in the barn.

If you have any files in /var/crash, please pastebin them and link them here.

How do I retrieve these files “in /var/crash” ? I am still not familiar with the OS.

Thanks for the reply.

Open a terminal and check first how many crash reports you have with:
ls -l /var/crash

Crash reports normally ends with *.crash. To pastebin the report, use the file name, for example:
pastebinit -i /var/crash/_usr_bin_qlipper.1000.crash

After submitting, please share the link you see in the terminal.

total 35764
-rw-r–r-- 1 kernoops whoopsie 2584 Jul 13 13:36 linux-image-4.18.0-25-generic.166719.crash
-rw-r----- 1 kernoops whoopsie 2578 Jul 7 12:08 linux-image-4.18.0-25-generic.167072.crash
-rw-r----- 1 starramus whoopsie 22254649 Jul 11 15:24 _usr_bin_gnome-mpv.1000.crash
-rw-r----- 1 starramus whoopsie 10319201 Jul 5 14:40 _usr_bin_guvcview.1000.crash
-rw-r----- 1 starramus whoopsie 4031172 Jul 7 12:12 _usr_bin_pcmanfm.1000.crash
I believe this is what you are asking for.

No that is not what you are asking for. I am immersing myself in the documentation possibly going down for the third time. Apparently I need the pastebinit app. Thank you for your reply.

http://paste.ubuntu.com/p/T44RbVG4F3/

As long as those are there, you’ll continue to get those messages. It would be reasonable to look at the content of those before moving forward, though. In general, they will contain crash information which could potentially contain sensitive information. If you’re confident they are not issues, you could always delete them.

Question: did you not have functioning internet access when you said ok to submit the error report?

Please update your system and if you have errors, post them here:
sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade

I did both the update, and upgrade, but am still getting the message system program error.

Where there any errors shown in the terminal during the update?

And please repost ls -l /var/crash to see, if you have newer crash reports.

Yes I have crash reports for today. http://paste.ubuntu.com/p/4dN4Mg2zdw/

i didn’t see any errors during the update.

Ok, so you’ve got problems in three packages: linux, gucview, and pcmanfm. They do seem to be reoccuring. You should make sure these are submitted with:

sudo apport-cli -p <package> --crash-file=/var/log/<filename>.crash

You will only need to concern yourself with the last of the linux crashes. Delete the others.

The quick and dirty solution: just sudo rm -r /var/log/*. That does not report the crashes, but it wipes out the crash logs.

The only other thing you need to consider is whether or not you’re running the updated software. Assumedly, the crashes will go away with updates. gucview, like most applications, just needs to be restarted, i.e. close it and then open it again. pcmanfm, like components of the desktop environment, are best restarted by logging out and logging back in again. The Linux kernel, though, cannot generally be restarted without a reboot.

Do those two things and you should be set!

Additionally, boot with an older kernel to see, if it is a problem with kernel 4.18.0-25. => https://manual.lubuntu.me/A/tips_and_tricks.html

I believe I have stumbled onto the root of my problem. When browsing documentation I learned that after doing an update one should reboot. I had not been doing that. Since I have rebooted the “system program error detected” message has not appeared. Thanks for the help which has taught me a lot about the OS and navigating it. Your information has been invaluable.

While this isn’t always a requirement it is with the kernels (unless you’re using livepatch), so yeah, that was probably it.

Did you take any of the other steps we mentioned?

Yes I followed both of your suggestions, but still was receiving the error message. Thanks again for helping this Windows dummy get his feet wet.

Ah, that may explain things then. Yours was a sticky problem because of the kernel. With other pieces of software, removing the crash files would have been sufficient. I should have thought to mention the need to reboot with the kernel.

That said, for posterity’s sake I’m going to edit my last answer with a reboot comment and mark it as the solution. Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 60 minutes after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.