System locks up and then starts again

My HP mother board failed. I moved my hard disc to a Dell XPS 8300. I reloaded Lubuntu 20.04 LTS from disc and then ran the system to ensure it could get to my data and programs and all went well. I then upgraded to 22.04 LTS from the internet. Since I have been running my system suddenly it slows down and finally the cursor freezes. After 5 to 30 minutes it suddenly starts up again. This situation repeats. I have change the mouse to make sure that was not the problem.

Hi,

When the desktop hangs or freezes, are you able to switch to another terminal screen (tty) via the following?

You can get to tty3 by pressing Ctrl+Alt+F3, tty4 by pressing Ctrl+Alt+F4, tty5 by pressing Ctrl+Alt+F5 and tty6 by pressing Ctrl+Alt+F6.

You can try whichever but it should switch you to a console/text prompt.

If you can login there, that might let you snoop around to get clues.

To switch back to the GUI, press Ctrl+Alt+F2.

Unfortunately, Iā€™m not really sure what to look at first for this kind of behavior. You might see something in the X server log but what to look for, I am not so sure.

Someone might be able to chime in for what would be good to look for. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think the problem is a corrupt disc. I have loaded and run Lubuntu from Disc and have not had the problem. Thanks for your help.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.