Stuck on "Powered by Lubuntu" screen

I installed Lubuntu 22.04.2 LTS in dual boot with Windows 7. In grub, when I choose to start Lubuntu normally I get stuck on the “Powered by Lubuntu” screen.

However, if I choose the recovery menu and in the sequence I just choose the option “Resume normal boot” Lubuntu boots normally.

How can I fix it?

If you press the down arrow key (or esc) during boot, you should be able to hide the splash screen showing the Lubuntu logo to see the boot messages on the screen.

There will likely be a line of text at the very bottom of the screen that can gives us a hint to what the problem could be.

Additionally, you can maybe check out the logs to see what the problem could be after you boot using the working method:

journalctl -b -1

This might be able to give more details once you boot successfully. You can put that into a terminal window and paste the resulting text here or if it doesn’t fit, you can put it into something like pastebin.com.

3 Likes

Hi bro,

I followed your suggestions and the error shown in the first image appeared. As the computer reboots normally when I choose an old kernel version in Grub, so to force boot I removed the kernel that was booting by default.

After this action, no line appears with an error at startup, as shown in the second image, but it remains stuck and does not start in this default way, but it still starts when I choose another kernel version in Grub.

The output of the journalctl -b -1 command is in pastebin.

I think the journalctl command text is incomplete in pastebin. You can send the resulting text (output) to a file and after running it in a terminal. For example:

journalctl -b -1 > ~/boot.txt

This will send the text to a file called boot.txt in your home directory.

I forgot to mention that this spits out boot text for the previous boot and not the current boot session. So if you were able to boot successfully previously, this probably will not show anything problematic.

If I understand correctly, you can only boot completely/successfully if you boot into recovery mode even after removing the problem kernel.

In that case, I’m not sure if the boot text will show anything useful without any actual errors showing up.

My only guess at this point would be to check the file system via live DVD/USB:

fsck

• boot to a Live DVD/USB in “Try Lubuntu” mode
  • open a terminal window by pressing Ctrl+Alt+T
  • type sudo fdisk -l
  • identify the /dev/sdXX device name for your root partition or system partition
  • type sudo fsck -f /dev/sdXX, replacing sdXX with the number you found earlier
  • repeat the fsck command if there were errors
  • type reboot
1 Like

Do you have enough disk space and inodes? Check it with

df -h
df -i

If you have enough free disk space (if you do not have enough, do not run the command) recreate the initramfs:

sudo update-initramfs -u -k all

What are the specs of the laptop/pc?

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.