Start Lubuntu with Kodi

Hello!

I’ve just installed Lubuntu on an old Compaq Presario V3700 to create a media center with Kodi.

Next I’d like to:

• Disable Desktop Environment on boot.
  • Run Kodi on boot

How can I get this done? Please advise thank you.

Side Note: Back to using Linux after a couple of years on Windows, so I’m feeling rusty.

I provided advice before with a reference on changing the default run level on your system.

You can find numerous (current even) information on this desired solution online, however I would like to recommend something someone else mentioned before: using Ubuntu server.

I think the name there throws people off but it is basically Ubuntu without the GUI/desktop. In other words, you mostly get the Ubuntu base you’re looking for without the added-on or extra GUI stuff that won’t go away (entirely) with what I initially mentioned.

You can download the ISO here and go through the install as per usual:
https://ubuntu.com/download/server

This of course assumes you are comfortable with configuring whatever you need via terminal or command line… this includes WiFi if you plane to use it, whatever Kodi does, etc.

1 Like

Excellent! I was wondering if there was something more bare-bone than Lubuntu! Servers aren’t scary :slight_smile: I’ll be happy to use command line, just a bit rusty having not used Linux for a couple of years.

This topic was automatically closed 60 minutes after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.