Reinstalling Lubuntu 22.04.1 LTS

I need to reinstall lubuntu after some update corrupted a ton of things.
(I previously had windows then I erased the disk to install lubuntu)
I don’t know what to do in the installation menu tho, please tell me what I need to select and If I have to do something before

Are all the options correct?

Select “Erase disk” and follow instructions, it will perform a fresh install using the whole disk.

1 Like

What about swap to file/no swap and boot loader location?
For the boot loader I guess it’s just the same disk as install, but for swap? I read someone who said before reinstalling you need to run a command like unmount swap or something. Thanks for the interest anyway tho

Selecting “Erase disk” creates all the partitions you need for a default install, so you don’t need to worry about swap :slight_smile:

Yeah I figured out what swap was and left it as it was.
Now I already reinstalled most programs. I have just 2 questions now
1 How do I make sure I only get supported updates that won’t break my system
2 Is there a way to see power curve and estimated battery time left?
Thanks

Asking mainly because for some reason the power manager keeps crashing randomly some times after 1 minute of inactivity when the screen turns brightness down.

For 1, don’t add any PPAs or third-party repos, unless you absolutely have to (and then be aware that those could break and there’s pretty nuch nothing Ubuntu or Lubuntu can do about that). If you want to be really sure that you don’t get any possibly problematic updates, you can run sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list and remove all lines that have “jammy-backports” in them, then save and close the file and run sudo apt update.

For 2, I don’t know how to see a power curve, but you can see the estimated remaining battery time by simply hovering your mouse over the battery indicator in the system tray at the lower-right corner of the screen. You can also right-click the battery indicator, click “Configure”, and then change the “Icon” setting to a setting that shows the battery percentage (I have mine set to “Battery with percentage”).

Also, in the event you have to add a PPA or third-party repo, please, please, please don’t add random repos! Make sure you trust the repo owner, since software in random PPAs and repos could be dangerous.

And as a final sidenote, you can also disable jammy-updates if you want to get only just the bare minimum updates necessary (security updates), but I don’t recommend doing this. And whatever you do, do NOT disable jammy-security!

3 Likes

Thank you for the interest
Now in additional drivers - > Updates I only have security and recommended updates

For apps for now I just installed Citra (the 3ds emulator) cause I want to try and see if it runs well. However I obviously downloaded it from the official sites which uses flatpak (on flathub).

Also, I’m quite surprised by the battery thing, I’ve never seen the percentage by overing over the icon, gotta try later. And about the icon option, where is it? Maybe I’m just an idiot.

1 Like

Most posts before mine relate to clean installs, ie. installs using format, which are almost certainly to be the most successful, but in most cases I use unclean install so my user files survive, my manually installed packages get auto-reinstalled.

With Lubuntu, we use the install method for QA (Quality Assurance) testing, where some notes can be found here where it’s the “Install using existing partition”.

As stated in the linked note is the following

Non QA-test note: this type of install won’t fix any user config issues that exist, as none of that is touched. It’s useful in real life to fix package problems (corruption etc) generally as system directories get erased, then new packages installed. Because user files aren’t touched, any user config issue will remain even after this type of install.

In this “Install using existing partition” install; you use the

• Manual partitioning

option in your screen, select the existing partition, and ensure the format checkbox is left unticked (which triggers this install type).

I described how it notes your manually installed packages (ie. what packages (applications/programs) you’d added to your system post-install), and after the new install, attempts to download & install those packages from the internet, meaning your additional programs survive; I used clementine or the music player I use that isn’t default with Lubuntu as an example, as post re-install I expect that program to start & continue playing from my stored playlists. On a clean install of Lubuntu, that program doesn’t exist.

Negatives of this unclean install type

• if your problem is a user configuration issue; it’ll survive the re-install and won’t be altered; ie. any problems that are caused by mis-configuration in a $HOME (home directory) is untouched and thus won’t be impacted by the re-install
  • it erases system directories, where some server apps store configuration files meaning those configurations won’t survive re-install. Desktop apps & configs are all in $HOME or the user directory which do survive. If your system is a multi-user system and you’ve thus made configuration changes in system directories so they impact all users, those changes will need to be re-made or configurations restored from backups
  • it’s intended for official Ubuntu repository packages only, whilst it can work with some 3rd party, it’s not QA tested with anything but official Ubuntu repositories thus we don’t test & don’t provide advice on using it with 3rd party software (I agree with what @ArrayBolt3’s here)
  • we don’t use this install method in QA with encryption, whilst I’ve used it on encrypted drives, I’ve had both success & failure as its very easy to make mistakes on encrypted drives, thus I’d recommend clean installs and restoring your data if you’re using encryption. Sure this is worth a try as the install doesn’t take long (and nothing is lost except a little time), but if you make a mistake & it doesn’t work, use clean install to fix encrypted drive problems would be my advice.

As always, backup any data that is important to you before you attempt re-install.

FYI: I have an install of Lubuntu 22.04 LTS on the box I’m using now, I don’t perform normal upgrades on that system, instead achieve an upgrade of the packages by using this re-install method using the jammy daily (currently what will be released as Lubuntu 22.04.2 LTS) as it causes newer (upgraded) packages to be installed, without touching my configs/user-files; ie. I use a QA-test install with the daily instead of updating files as it accomplishes two tasks:

1. updates my system
  2. QA-test of a daily ISO we’ve not yet released.

This system is dual boot, post-boot I check to ensure my other Lubuntu release installs are untouched, and for Lubuntu 22.04 LTS, my playlist continues playing my locally stored music using my clementine player which needs to be auto-re-installed. Of course I check to ensure the file-meta-data matches a new install (ie. confirm the system was re-installed).

My point is unclean installs can be very useful to fix some issues, saving a load of time as no data restoration is required.

3 Likes

Right-click the battery icon, you should see a context menu pop up with a “Configure” button in it. (I’d take a screenshot but for some reason the Print Screen button isn’t working for me when the menu is open.) Click the Configure button.

In the window that pops up, there should be a drop-down menu that says “Icon:” next to it.

Set that setting to one of the settings that includes a percentage indicator (I have “Battery with percentage” selected, and find that it looks best).

2 Likes

Ok so I wasn’t blind nor crazy, I don’t have that drop down menu.
I only have the “show icon checkbox” and the “use theme icon” checkbox
So maybe my theme Is the problem? Tho I’m still using the default icon for the battery cause it looks better than the theme one.

1 Like

Ah, my mistake, I’m on LXQt 1.2.0. You;re right, that option doesn’t exist in 22.04.1. You might be able to use the LXQt Backports PPA (which should be safe to enable, it’s designed to be stable and is officially supported). That would give you LXQt 1.2.0 on Jammy, and then you should have that option. However, LXQr 1.2.0 has a couple of bugs in my experience (which I plan on helping to fix), so you might not want to do that.

If you want to try it, the PPA is here: Lubuntu Backports : “Lubuntu Developers” team

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.