Reinstall only file system and not touch data file is possible/

hi guys i have a hdd with lubuntu in crash not want start up after upgrade.
I want reinstall all system but not want touch file data and program installed , i have only one partition in ext4 is possible to do that ? by livecd ? thanks

You’ve not provided release details; which are what i’d consider first. Are you intending to re-install the same release? or another?

Firstly I’d boot live media (ie. the TRY mode on Lubuntu livecd) and ensure you have a good backup of your data… its easy to make a mistake, and you need to be confident that you can restore your data should something go wrong.

As for non-destructive re-install, I’ll provide the following links

I use non-destructive re-install somewhat often (>30 times per year), but I’m very familiar with it. I’ve love to say it works perfectly all the time, alas I cannot, as a clean install (followed by restore of data) does tend to have a higher chance of success - but I love it (and have success >95% of the time). If you have issues with 3rd party software (auto-reinstalling), I’d ignore that & manually correct that post-install. Losing data using it I’ve never experienced.

Please note: We don’t use 3rd party software in our Quality Assurance testing, and you’ll note I don’t talk about that 3rd party software in either link I provided. I’ll suggest you assume no 3rd party software will survive… as the non-destructive install is intended for Ubuntu repository software only. Yes I’ve had 3rd party software re-install automatically, and can usually predict what will and won’t be coped with, but that detail gets very complicated & can be release specific, thus I’d not wish to advise in that regard.

3 Likes

thanks for rply , in practical , after upgrade to 23–>to–>24 when i restart the pc not boot and remaning black the screen i tryed to reinstal grub with livecd 23 but nothing
i used this procedure
sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt
sudo mount --bind /dev /mnt/dev
sudo mount --bind /proc /mnt/proc
sudo mount --bind /sys /mnt/sys
sudo chroot mount /mnt
grub-install /dev/sda …
and more
therfore i want reinstallonly sistem but if after reinstall the system i have other many problem i wast only time much better cry and format

Try boot using Boot Repair and see if is possible fix.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.