Redshift QT for Lubuntu 20.10

Hello,
Since 20.04 I have been using Redshift QT on my Lubuntu computer, from here: https://launchpad.net/~hmollercl/+archive/ubuntu/redshift-qt
And it was workign perfectly.

Now I have migrated to 20.10 but sadly this repo is not compatible.

So I would like to know why it is not integrated into Ubuntu official repository? What would be needed to integrate it?
Please let me know what I can do to help on that topic.

Thank you in advance!
Regards

2 Likes

I’m moving you over to Development as this is ultimately the more relevant category.

So, @hmollercl was working on packaging that so that it could get in the Ubuntu repos, but Real Life® interrupted and he has not been able to do any further work on it.

If you want to learn about packaging, we would love the help on it! And then you could help us with other things, too!!! To get a taste of it, take a look at the packaging tutorial.

I have expressed some interest in taking up the gauntlet on this one, as I have been using Redshift recently. However, I’ve got a lot of things to deal with and using it on the command line is so ridiculously simple (you simply create $HOME/.config/redshift.conf with your location and run redshift), I haven’t prioritized it very highly.

2 Likes

Thank you for your very quick answer.
OK, I understand the situation. Yes it is normal that some topics are more important than others :slightly_frowning_face:

I am also using a it with a script, but it is a plus to have a packet doing everything :slight_smile:
I am not familiar with packaging process, but I can have a look and give a try!

If I have question, not specificaly about Redshift, but about the packaging, can I ask here or is there another place dedicated for it?
Thanks

3 Likes

To be clear, I do not use Redshift with a script. I merely use the Autostart implementation to run Redshift. The configuration file takes care of the settings and really the only thing you need there is the longitude and latitude.

Regarding your packaging question, this is a perfect place to ask! If you have an interest in the topic and want to help out, I would do everything possible to empower you to do so. We’re a small team and we can use all the help we can get. There are others about that can help, too.

You can also ask on our development discussion channel, which can be reached via IRC, Telegram, or Matrix (see here).

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.