Redshift problems [Solved]

Just installed the minimal version of the new release and all went great.

The only problem I encountered was getting the default version of Redshift to work no matter what I tried and even went to the official Lubuntu manual.

I finally just remove the non working default version of Redshift and installed a version using the terminal and it works.

The default version of Redshift appeared to be a Redshift QT version.
The version I installed using the terminal appeared to be a Redshift GTK version.
The Redshift GTK version installed and worked OOTB so mission accomplished and all is well.

Lubuntu 24.04 LTS minimal version I installed looks good and so far works well and I do like a few of the new desktop backgrounds.

I don’t know if it’s okay to post in this particular Announcement thread so if not please remove or relocate my post.

Thanks to all who worked on this new release.

3 Likes

What did you try to do and what happened that led you to believe you couldn’t get Redshift to work?

What I did was try and change my color temperature from 6500 daytime to 4500 daytime using the redshift-qt -t 4500:4500 in the session start up.

Now I’m having problems with the Redshift GTK version I’ve installed it’s turning itself on and off.

I believe this may be a compatibility problem between QT and GTK seems I read somewhere where the two are incompatible.

I will remove the Redshift GTK version I installed and reinstall the Redshift QT version and give it another look at.

I’m almost certain the problem is because of something I’m not doing correctly.

I appreciate your reply and the moving of my post.

I may have been outspoken in my earlier post and so my apologies to the forum.

Thanks

1 Like

Probably not good to use them together. The GTK interface brings in a bunch of other dependencies you don’t need, too.

What was wrong with your startup command?

1 Like

I’m really uncertain what was causing a problem as I did do what I read in the official Lubuntu manual that is featured on the desktop.

I’ve removed the GTK version of Redshift and reinstalled QT version of Redshift.

I entered the redshift-qt -t 4500:4500 in the session start up box and rebooted my computer and all is working as it should.

Is there a way to check and remove any of the leftover GTK dependencies.

sudo apt autoremove

2 Likes

Okay I did some cleaning and other searching for leftovers and I believe I’m good.

I used this command.

dpkg --list | grep <package name>

I appreciate your help and replies.
I’m old and impatient sometimes and get in a hurry causes problems sometimes.

Thanks again.

1 Like