Reboot/restart not working after upgrade to 23.10

Hi, I recently upgraded my Z83II to Lubuntu 23.10 from 23.04 and it’s mostly been smooth sailing. The only problem I’m seeing is that the restart function no longer works. When I reboot, the system shuts down but never starts back up. I checked the syslog and didn’t find any clues.

Does anyone have any tips for where I should look next or any logs that might be more useful? Thanks!

I don’t know, but I’d likely explore other ways of rebooting, such as sudo reboot or using SysRq-REISUB etc… and see if I get the same response there.

As for where I’d look for clues; the systemd journal (journalctl) is where I’d look first. As for what I’d look for I’m unsure; I tried reboot and all I was getting on this box was loads of matches to secureboot. I only reboot or turn off my machine every 12-18 days; and so this isn’t an ideal box to find an example on (turning it off if done at night which I’ve done of late, rebooting if during the day)

(I did find messages relating to shutdown, but I can’t recall when I last rebooted)

Jan 19 23:34:30 d7050-next systemd-shutdown[1]: Sending SIGTERM to remaining processes...
Jan 19 23:34:30 d7050-next systemd-journald[432]: Received SIGTERM from PID 1 (systemd-shutdow).
Jan 19 23:34:30 d7050-next systemd-journald[432]: Journal stopped

Maybe you’ll find messages like those, and can scan backwards to look for clues?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.