Randomly appearing drive mount dialogue and error

Hi,

pcmanfm-qt (?) sometimes randomly locks (unmounts and mounts?) my external USB hard drive, then asks for the encryption password again, even though I’ve set the “Remember forever” several times before. When pw is provided, it gives me this error about unlocking. I don’t have any other solution than to just restart the whole PC, which is when it will ask the pw once again, but this time the drive mounts normally.

Any ideas how to resolve this for good? Thank you in advance.

2022-08-23_17-59
2022-08-23_17-59_1

:ymhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhyyyyyyhhhhhhhhhy:      Host: 81X8 IdeaPad 3 15ITL05 
 `odhyyyhhhhhhhhhy+-````./syhhhhhhhho`     Kernel: 5.15.0-46-generic 
`hhy..:oyhhhhhhhy-`:osso/..:/++oosyyyh`    Uptime: 7 mins 
dhhs   .-/syhhhhs`shhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyyhs    Packages: 2361 (dpkg), 7 (snap) 
:hhhy`  yso/:+syhy/yhhhhhshhhhhhhhhhhhhh:   Shell: bash 5.1.16 
hhhhho. +hhhys++oyyyhhhhh-yhhhhhhhhhhhhhs   Resolution: 1920x1080 
hhhhhhs-`/syhhhhyssyyhhhh:-yhhhhhhhhhhhhh   DE: LXQt 0.17.1 
hhhhhhs  `:/+ossyyhyyhhhhs -yhhhhhhhhhhhh   WM: Openbox 
hhhhhhy/ `syyyssyyyyhhhhhh: :yhhhhhhhhhhs   Theme: Arc-Darker [GTK2/3] 
:hhhhhhyo:-/osyhhhhhhhhhhho  ohhhhhhhhhh:   Icons: WhiteSur-dark [GTK2/3] 
sdhhhhhhhyyssyyhhhhhhhhhhh+  +hhhhhhhhs    Terminal: qterminal 
`shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhy+` .yhhhhhhhh`    Terminal Font: Hack 11 
 +sdhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhyo/. `/yhhhhhhhd`     CPU: 11th Gen Intel i5-1135G7 (8) @ 4.200GHz 
  `:shhhhhhhhhh+---..``.:+yyhhhhhhh:       GPU: Intel TigerLake-LP GT2 [Iris Xe Graphics] 
    `:mdhhhhhh/.syssyyyyhhhhhhhd:`         Memory: 2082MiB / 7747MiB 

The appearance of this dialogue is getting more and more frequent. However, for full disclosure, I’m now running just Debian. Perhaps the drive is on its way out.

You’ll want to check the SMART values on your drive. They will indicate if drive is near death.

2 Likes

Just in case, I’d back up the data even if the SMART values look good. Drives can fail despite having good SMART values.(Also, messing with disk stuff like the linked tutorial says to do might mess things up, so I’d back up the disk before doing things like enabling SMART or running tests.)

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.