RAID: what happened?

This is my first post, so be forbearing. I have been using Lubuntu for about five years, and it was great to ditch Windows. Recently, however, I had a problem in that my venerable server crashed in the middle of the upgrade to 22.04 LTS and wouldn’t be rescued. So I tried reinstallation from scratch, and found that newer versions of Lubuntu no longer recognise or install on RAID arrays. I spent hours on this alternately trying to fix the old installation and trying to reinstall, until this morning I put my oldest Lubuntu live disc, 14.10, in the machine. It just asked me nicely which array I wanted to install on and did I want to obliterate the XP partition (yes), and I was up and running within half an hour–even though I couldn’t get online because I have a fixed IP (not my choice). I remembered how impressed I was with Lubuntu as a newbie. The upgrades will be a long journey and I think I shall install more RAM first, but at least it is no longer alternating between kernel panic and grub rescue. I presume the change is part of refocusing away from older machines, but I think it’s regrettable. Are there any plans to restore this functionality?

I have no idea what you consider an older machine, but I just moved to my secondary PC I use late in the day, and it’s a 2008 dell; does that qualify as old? It’s a few years newer than the last machine I used in a QA-test install anyway.

I’ve always found installers a fickle thing, and have never found any I really love. They all have strengths and weaknesses, and I’m aware of situations where the old ubiquity that was used by Lubuntu up to and including 18.04 performs better than the newer calamares, but I’m also very true of the opposites (and the weaknesses is ubiquity are generally well known, part of why Ubuntu has been trying to get off for so long). Regardless I believe calamares looks & operates nicer than ubiquity.

If you felt the ubiquity installer was better; I’d likely have used a Xubuntu 22.04 LTS ISO that uses ubiquity, and then switched the installed system to Lubuntu post-install. It’d be far faster than the mess that is both unsupported and what you’re suggesting anyway. My approach is equally less than ideal, but its something I’ve actually done (not recently; it was with 20.04 & at least it was ~fast)

You didn’t say which 22.04; as we’ve thus far had three releases of 22.04 (namely 22.04, 22.04.1 & 22.04.2) and they didn’t all have the same version of the installer, as fixes were applied to later releases. Given how fickle I personally believe installers are; I’d likely have grabbed & tried multiple 22.04 ISOs (at least two with different versions of the installer anyway).

The only functionality that calamares Lubuntu is using now doesn’t have is still OEM installs, and it’s still a task, albeit a low priority task - https://phab.lubuntu.me/T16

What you’re describing isn’t a functionality issue as I see it; but you gave only vague details & the issue maybe related to kernel stack or other details; 22.04 has two stacks available you could have tested too via using different 22.04 media for example; but that’s my own 2c opinion only; as I’ve found the kernel stack makes a huge difference on what I consider old hardware