Props from a satisfied user

Downloaded the new 22.04 ISO and installed it on one of my computers. Excellent work. I had used 20.04 and was not satisfied so I moved to Xubuntu for 2 years. I am back in the fold now. No default mail client but that is easily solved by installing one. (BTW the install took a total of 3 minutes.)
9 Likes

rex

10d

Downloaded the new 22.04 ISO and installed it on one of my computers. Excellent work. I had used 20.04 and was not satisfied so I moved to Xubuntu for 2 years. I am back in the fold now. No default mail client but that is easily solved by installing one. (BTW the install took a total of 3 minutes.)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That’s quite a feat (BTW the install took a total of 3 minutes.) what’s your secret.

My installs have taken 30 minutes to 45 minutes.

I can’t speak for others but I read quite a few complaints about load times and install times.

3 Likes

No secret. Most of my installs take between 12 and 20 minutes depending on the machine and the OS. When that one finished so quickly I was surprised. However, it is running fine so no complaints. It was on a Dell Latitude 5580 with 8 Gbs of RAM.

4 Likes

Yeah I sure the 8.0GB of memory makes a difference and a good chance the processor you have is a 4 core i5.

I wish I could increase the memory to 8.0GB but the motherboard will only accept 4.0GB.

I may invest in a SSD to see what difference that makes.
I read that SSDs make a lot of difference.

4 Likes

Having an SSD can make a large difference especially in the installation process. When you think about what is going on, it makes sense. The system is copying all the files from one device to another and the faster that can happen, the faster your install is. Using a USB for installation media will make installs go faster too. The IO throughput is much better than a DVD or any optical media. I average about 5 minutes or so on most of my installs from USB to a SSD drive. My laptop isn’t really new, it is a Dell Inspiron 7720 with a 3rd generation i5 and 8GB of RAM and a 240GB SSD. I had a standard spinning disk in it before and installs were in the range of 2 to 3 times slower.

I am glad you are back and enjoying things. On behalf of the entire team, thanks for the feedback and compliments.

5 Likes

Yep I need to start looking for a SSD as I had a 10 year old hard drive fail today.

I’m disappointed I figured it would last longer than 10 years.

Fortunately I had a 40GB mechanical hard drive from a failed laptop that I was able to retro fit into my desktop zip ties are great.

4 Likes

Thinking about grabbing a couple of these sure can’t beat the price.
I don’t want to spend a lot of cash on an SSD since I have a slew of mechanical hard drives.

https://www.amazon.com/Patriot-Burst-Elite-120GB-Solid/dp/B08LKMQ9T4/ref=sr_1_33?qid=1652046181&refinements=p_36%3A1253504011&s=pc&sr=1-33

2 Likes

The reviews on that brand seem pretty good. However, you should be aware that smaller SSDs die faster than larger ones. You may already know all this, but just in case, here’s the details.

On HDDs, there’s no hard limit on how much you can write to the drive before it dies. The media doesn’t wear out as you use it (though the moving parts will eventually wear out, but that’s not directly related to how much you write to the drive). With SSDs, every time you write to the drive, you burn it out a tiny bit. Modern SSDs are designed to spread out this “burning out” effect so that you don’t burn out parts of the SSD quicker than other parts. However, the less room the SSD has, the less it can spread out the wear, and so the quicker it burns out.

SSDs generally have an endurance rating, measured in TBW. 1 TBW is how much the drive burns out after a terabyte of data is written to it. If you have a 120 GB drive with 1 TBW of endurance, then filling it up will use up ~1/8 of its endurance. If you then delete everything on the drive, you’ll have your space back, but the endurance is still spent. Fill it up again and you’ve used up ~2/8 of its endurance, and so on.

According to the drive’s official spec sheet, it has an endurance of 50 TBW. If you were to write 50 GB of data to the drive per day, it would last you somewhere between two and a half to a little less than three years. In all likelihood, you’re probably not going to do that, but for me, a data-gobbling Linux enthusiast who throws around gigabytes like softballs, that drive probably wouldn’t last long enough for my taste under my intensive use case. (That’s why I’ve got a external hunk of spinning rust on my desk for backup purposes.)

If you’re like me, spend a bit of extra money to get a drive with better endurance. The 240 GB drive sports 100 TBW, while the 480 GB drive gives you 200 TBW, which is the point where I’d be comfortable hammering the drive - it should hold up under a heavy workload for over seven years, probably longer. The 480 GB drive is only 9 dollars more than two of the 120 GB drives. If your workloads aren’t so intensive, then the drive you’ve picked should do you just fine.

5 Likes

@ArrayBolt3

Yeah I kinda had an idea about how all of that works but your explaining was a big help Thanks.

Yeah my drives have under 10 GB maybe 15 GB max.
My current hard drive is a bit over 7.0 GB and probably won’t get any higher.

I’ve been using 40 GB and 80 GB hard drives for awhile and they’ve always been more than enough.

I save most everything to USB thumb drives or cd/dvd and yeah I still use cd/dvd can’t beat them imo.

Thanks for the input and I look into the larger SSDs and see what I can grab.

Thanks again.

2 Likes

Do your pc’s support nvme ssd’s? If they do, you can use that instead of a sata ssd.

No support for nvme ssd’s as my Linux computers are 2007/2013 circa.

Still, a sata ssd is a major performance boost. I would get my hands on at least 240gb

4 Likes

Short greetings from me, unfortunately I don’t write much here. I join the praise: Lubuntu 22.04 is phenomenally well done and I thank the team very much (had donated Ubuntu because of it). What makes Lubuntu 22.04 the first choice for me at the moment? LXQt is the simplest, sufficiently comfortable and fastest desktop environment in my experience. The idea of setting up LXQt backports is excellent. Everything works. I need absolute stability because of intensive research and writing longer text files in an academic context and I have that here. I didn’t pay attention to the time, but the installation certainly didn’t take more than five minutes. After that, a quick download of two snaps (yes, I think snaps are perfectly fine) - done. Great.

4 Likes

Hey, thanks for having posted the link to that 120 GB SSD - I actually bought one to use for doing distro tests, and it’s been working out amazingly well.

2 Likes