Partition Guidance on Lubuntu Install

Installing 22.04.3 LTS on Acer Chromebook CB3-131-C3SZ. I followed till Step4 of this user: Replace ChromeOS with Lubuntu 22.04 on Acer Chromebook 15 (CB5-571 Series) – Technical Scratchpad

Then, when I went to the last step, I have run into issues.

I am able to get a screen where I have BOOT OPTIONS and I choose Install or Try Lubuntu. I am then on a screen which starts with Lubuntu installation.

However I am totally lost (being a newbee and not a very technical person) on how to go about partitioning. I looked few places and understand I need to do manual partition but I am not sure which of the top2 options to choose (see pic) : mmcblk1 or Dual Drive. Also pics on what each looks like. Please advise which of these to choose and recommended size of the partitions to be made. I think these will be four. I am not sure how these ended up being two partitions. If there is a way to “merge” them or delete one to get more overall space, that’s fine too.

Thanks

Only one media allowed - so putting the first pic instead of three I had planned:

DualDrive has one partition while the mmcblk1 has two (one of FAT32 of 300MB and the rest of ext4 which already says Ubuntu 22.04.3 LTS of 14.38GB.
I went over this once and may be I have installed it in the wrong place?
Thanks

I am not familiar at all with Chromebooks and so my knowledge here will be very limited.

As far as I can tell, I see references online to the mmcblk device being for SD card on some Chromebooks. However, when I looked up your model, I see that it says your Chromebook comes with 16GB EMMC storage for internal storage. My assumption then is that based on the image you provided, and going off of the size of what’s being reported there, it looks like the mmcblk device is the internal storage for your Chromebook.

I don’t understand how Chromebooks partition their system drives nor how they tend to setup their storage.

The DualDrive device sounds like what you got Lubuntu installed onto. The FAT32 partition is for the ESP and the rest of it looks like was just for the Lubuntu system itself.

It’s not very clear to me what the /dev/sda could be on your Chromebook and I’m not sure what was on there before the install. Do you have an SD card inserted?

If you’re going to manually partition again, I think 300MB could still work for the ESP. I see some say 1GB is better but up to you. The rest can be used for the root partition. If you wanted more partition for like /home or something else, then you’d have to decide on that one yourself. I don’t think 16GB will be enough to sustain a modern install for any desktop based Linux box but I can be wrong about that.

I think having another pair of eyes aside from mine would help here… also maybe someone who actually knows/understands how Chromebooks operate. You could try again but I’m assuming you’re following a working guide where this has been successful for someone.

2 Likes

Thanks so much for your response @That_Random_Guy!

I was clearly tired when I posted the first message. After reading your message, I went back and figured something for sure : the /dev/sda drive is really the USB stick with Lubuntu ISO that was stuck in the USB port that time. So, I think my issue can be re-phrased to say : When I tried to install Lubuntu the first time yesterday, I missed creating the right partitions manually. From some videos, I understand four partitions need to be created. I did not do that but still installed Lubuntu due to which I saw some errors later. The error then was something like this or may be exactly this. Can’t recall but this is from my browsing history from that timestamp when I was looking up the error. It surely had returned error code 1 :
“grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot/efi --bootloader-id=ubuntu --force
returned error code 1.”

So, now, with a messed partition in the first attempt to install Lubuntu, I am at it again and the advise I would love is on 1. How do I go about creating these manual partitions (the names and size based on the 14.68 GB available.

Here’s the screen of how the view looks for this drive. I could not upload this error due to upload restrictions.

Thanks

Normally, when working with systems that have EFI firmware, as it appears you certainly have, you would select GPT for partition table. You shouldn’t need a new one if you’re going to reinstall or maybe it won’t let you delete the partitions you already have on your eMMC. Either way, you need to use all of the space on the internal storage.

You just need 2 partitions at a minimum:

• One for the root partition, which holds your actual Lubuntu system.

• One for the ESP (i.e. EFI System Partition) - this is used by the firmware on your laptop during boot to actually boot an OS.

ESP needs to be FAT32 file system and like I said, you can either make this 300Mb or 1Gb. It’s up to you.

Also, I think you would need to give it boot flag as shown in screenshot.

Next one is the root partition. This is also one of those “required” partitions, otherwise you have nothing installed and there is no “system”.

In my example here, I’m just letting it take up all the remaining disk space in my virtual machine disk. You don’t need more partitions at this point unless you want to for some other reason. In that instance, I can’t tell you what makes sense to give for size given you only have 16GB to work with. It’s probably safer to just stick with having everything under root and let it run with that. Also note that I just gave it ext4 for file system.

With my example setup, it would end up looking like this:

This is a bare bones and maybe even very traditional kind of install that might not suit what you’re expecting out of your install, so I would advise looking elsewhere for what you think you will need. No matter what, you will still need an ESP if your system is using EFI.

I didn’t have the time today to give better examples or write out more as my time is limited these days. The general idea stays the same. Again, I don’t know of nor understand how Chromebooks operate. My example would probably work for a normal PC but I don’t know what Chromebooks look for nor what any guides would recommend. I would imagine they’re fine with just having the ESP and then your system partition but I honestly don’t know. Good luck.

EDIT:
I omitted a lot of potentially useful options here that obviously some might have suggested or would have made sense for you. I didn’t mention swap, lvm, etc. I could be wrong, but I think on your system, what I have exampled would work on a normal PC but again, I don’t know how Chromebooks work and so I only mentioned the minimum.

3 Likes

Some of the issue might be that the eMMC looks like removable media and automatically mounted. If it is unmounted before you start the installer it might go better. I posted about this here.

3 Likes

@That_Random_Guy Thanks so much for taking time to respond. You are right that it did pertain to the partitions for home, swap, boot which had been missed or may be I chose the wrong option. Of course, with 16GB to distribute, there wasn’t much but I have been able to do some distribution and create these partitions and it worked!!!

Thanks again. Really appreciate you taking time to guide here.

Thanks to @kc2bez too!

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.