Panel does not appear right away any more after the update

on an MSI computer I installed first Lubuntu 20.04 and later only Lubuntu 20.10
in both versions after the installation, and after an update:
after EVERY reboot:

• after 30 seconds the icons on the desktop are moving a little bit (compare picture 1 and 2)
  • and then after again 30 seconds the panel appears
  • and then I have to wait again at least one minute till a red exclamation-mark-symbol will disappear that will be replaced by the speaker-symbol

picture 1:

picture 2:

picture 3:

picture 4:

in the live-version of Lubuntu 20.04 and Lubuntu 20.4.2 the panel was not there right away;
in the live-version of Lubuntu 20.10 and after the installation the panel was there right away, but when I made an update, I had the panel problem

That’s kind of weird tbh. Can you share with us your exact computer/device details such as model if a laptop and or pc components (e.g. video card) if using a desktop?

Are the updates being run via terminal or via Discover?

@That_Random_Guy

Are the updates being run via terminal or via Discover?

terminal

Can you share with us your exact computer/device

MSI Cubi N 8GL-002BEU

on amazon.de:
https://www.amazon.de/MSI-Barebone-CUBI-8GL-002BEU-Black/dp/B07D728Z55

or more details on kaufland.de:
https://www.kaufland.de/product/335850113/

some more remarks:

• no speakers are connected to the bare-bone-PC; I think that is the problem; but I think, that somewhere is a bug, because even if no speaker is connected, the panel should appear right away
  • if I delete the speaker-symbol in the panel in Lubuntu 20.10, then the panel appears right away after every reboot; so, then it works fine, but then there is a disadvantage after rebooting: suspend does not work every time; when suspend does not work: it wants to fade out but the desktop get frozen for about 40 seconds, no mouse and no keyboard can be used, then screensaver or login appears
1 Like

the problem has to do something with one package or some packages during the update:

1 Like

to reproduce the problem:
take a PC without speaker, install Lubuntu 20.10, then make an update, and then reboot

I reported the issue at github.com:
https://github.com/lxqt/lxqt-panel/issues/1610

the answer was there:
“Should be reported to Lubuntu, not here.”

That’s happened before. I think it happened for me as well.

Given the circumstances, I feel like it would be beneficial to at least investigate further here since the problem appears to be more so linked to Lubuntu w/ LXQt although we don’t know why.

I tried to dig up why your box might be experiencing that but I honestly couldn’t find anything that suggests the cause for it.

The only thing I could suggest is trying to boot the live USB from another device to at least confirm the panel doesn’t show up there as well. If it doesn’t show up, then we would have to investigate the actual installation image/ISO that’s being put on the USB.If it does show up, then the problem likely lies with your specific Mini PC. I have no clue why that would be given that it’s running Intel but computers are weird.

Anywho, that’s what I would probably do but I’m not smart enough to know what to do next. Sorry.

Does anyone perhaps know of a log that would show the cause for this weirdness?

@ That_Random_Guy:

The only thing I could suggest is trying to boot the live USB from another device to at least confirm the panel doesn’t show up there as well.

only in Lubuntu 20.04 with a PC without speaker, the Panel will not be shown right away already in the live-version

for Lubuntu 20.10 with a PC without speaker:
in the live-version the Panel is there right away, also after the installation; it will not be there right away any more after an update & reboot

I suggest we wait till Lubtuntu 21.04
maybe there the problem does not exist any more
I will notice the result in the next days here

Fortunately in Lubuntu 21.04 everything works fine!!
On a PC without speaker the panel appears in the live-version right away, and also after an installation, update & reboot.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 minutes after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.