Nvidia Drivers not working after full update

Yeah I figured I probably installed something else while trying to fix other things, now I rolled back to kernel 5.15 which I was using before and removed kernel 6. Nvidia-smi works but nvidia-settings still has only 3 options, I’ll try to do purge nvidia and reinstall the proprietary driver, that should work.
Also (this happened after I installed a package while following a guide to set the nvidia card as default), I now see things that weren’t there before, for example:

• before I had only featherpad, but now I have also 2 options for “notepad” in the menu
  • I now see 2 options for additional drivers, they both open the same window but the window has a different style
  • when booting instead of the usual lubuntu screen (with language on top), I now see a black-background page
1 Like

Ok so now I’m in a different situation.
Nvidia smi works and it displays im using driver 390. 15
However nvidia settings still has only 3 options:

• Application profiles
  • nvidia-settings configuration
  • PRIME Profiles (appeared after I did prime-select nvidia)

However there are some clear problems

• First, while trying to run the citra 3ds emulator, it crashed because “the card you’re using doesn’t support openGL 4.6 or the driver isn’t working” (kinda like that) even tho driver 390 is stated in the nvidia page for linux drivers supporting openGL 4.6.

• Second, psensor is not displaying gpu stats anymore while before everything it was

• Third, when I tried (after doing purge nvidia*) to install the drivers manually from cli without booting the desktop the installer always failed because there was some problem.

You could have avoided all of this if you stay with default Ubuntu/Lubuntu kernels. Nvidia does not support any 6.X kernels yet but that will change once 23.04 is released in March of next year. This is an Nvidia support decision.

I’m sorry to be messenger of bad news but fixing all these issues and likely others you have not found yet will be long and time consuming. Please do backup restore (timeshift) of your system if have one from before the full upgrade. If you have no backup I would suggest you start with a fresh reinstall and do NOT add any PPAs.

If you must try and attempt to fix this it will likely be very , long , tricky as it appears:

1. You have PPA setup that caused your kernel to upgrade to unsupported kernel for Nvidia drivers
  2. Your Nvidia driver package is corrupt as you state the issues with the correct GL version, Nvidia psenors broken and Nvidia driver purge is failing.
1 Like

Yeah I realized that, however I’m fine with it, first ever time installing Linux, I wasn’t really aware of what I was doing. So if I go back to the state when I installed Lubuntu from the USB stick everything should be fine right? Could you help me with that?

About the backups, I don’t know if I have one, any way of checking?
Anyway even if I haven’t I installed just a couple programs.I could get everything again in a couple hours probably.

I would suggest a clean install just like you have already done:

1. Copy any files or data you want to keep to another media or location (USB, external harddrive , Google Drive etc…).

2. Download the latest stable iso release ( 22.04.1 LTS ) .
    https://lubuntu.me/downloads

3. Make a bootable USB drive from the .iso ( Use an another different USB stick not a USB stick with your backup files) .

4. Do a clean install. Follow https://manual.lubuntu.me/stable/

5. Only add Nvidia divers (no kernel updates nor any PPAs ).

6. Copy back any files from your alternate backup media.

Good luck. If I’m not able to reply back promptly the other folks here are friendly. Let us all know how it goes or if you have more questions.

I’ll defer your backup question for another more specific Lubuntu knowledgeable person. I wrote my own custom backup scripts to sync data to my home Network Attached Storage server. It’s customized for my workflow and not a typical users backup process.

2 Likes

Don’t worry about the backup I’ll search up, surely there’s some answers.
I still have the USB stick (and I’ll probably keep it 4ever now just in case).
I only have chrome and discord installed so no need to copy files, however I’ll have to do the nvidia drivers and the network card ones all over again… Fine I guess
The nvidia drivers are obviously broken, however the network card Is working now, how can I copy the setup to the new install?

And also I forgot, could you tell me which settings I have to check/uncheck to make sure I won’t install anything that will break the system again? Thanks

Just don’t do a full upgrade until the next Lubuntu LTS is released. This is best for most users. In my opinion only developers, testers and confident power users should be doing full upgrades outside of LTS releases.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.