"NTP Not Supported"

I recently got sent to another timezone on business and brought my Dell XPS 13 running Lubuntu 20.04 with me. I noticed that the time zone didn’t auto update, so I opened the Date and Time app and checked the “Enable Network Time Synchronization” box, only to have a pop up display which read “NTP not supported.” I’m not sure what the issue is, anyone else ever run into this?

Is it possible you’re under a firewall, either a self-imposed one or one on the network you’re on? If so, some folks have a tendency to block the normal NTP ports due to security concerns.

2 Likes

Whoops, thought I had replied to this. Yes, I enable ufw on all my Linux laptops. Any idea how to open those ports back up, or enable ones which are open?

https://askubuntu.com/questions/709843/how-to-configure-ufw-to-allow-ntp-to-work

No luck, I’m afraid. Neither sudo ufw allow ntp nor manually adding 123 and 53 as specified in the link allowed me to select NTP from the Date/Time application.

If you turn it off, does it help? If still not, then it may be a firewall on the network you’re on. Check with the network admin.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Re-opened in case solution wasn’t provided.