NOOB - Problem installing

Hello, thats the problem after trying to install Lubuntu:

Boost.Python error in job "unpackfs".
Command '['mount', '/cdrom/casper/filesystem.squashfs', '/tmp/tmpy_7p65oo/filesystem', '-t', 'squashfs', '-o', 'loop']' returned non-zero exit status 32.
None

Traceback:
File "/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/calamares/modules/unpackfs/main.py", line 340, in run
    return unpackop.run()

File "/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/calamares/modules/unpackfs/main.py", line 201, in run
    self.mount_image(entry, imgmountdir)

File "/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/calamares/modules/unpackfs/main.py", line 250, in mount_image
    "-o", "loop"

File "/usr/lib/python3.7/subprocess.py", line 347, in check_call
    raise CalledProcessError(retcode, cmd)

Please heelp im a linux NOOB.

First thing I would do is verify your install media is perfect (ie. download of ISO & write to media was flawless). You can do this with the Check disk for defects option at the boot menu.

See the first screen on the Installation page of the Lubuntu manual, ie. https://manual.lubuntu.me/1/1.3/installation.html

1 Like

Barring Chris’ suggestion identifying the problem, please provide your installation log file. You can send it to paste.ubuntu.com by doing the following in terminal: pastebinit -i ~/.cache/Calamares/session.log. Include the resulting URL here.

http://paste.ubuntu.com/p/3fcbTVkNHQ/

Does that mean the check for defects succeeded?

One thing I find strange is that it looks like partitions on the target drive are mounted. The installer should not let you even attempt the install if that’s the case. That may be a bug. In any case, if you unmount them and try again, does everything work fine?

I’ve got 2 files with error after cheking disk.

by “unmount” do you mean keep all partitions empty, with no file format (fat32 for example)?

Then you need to either download the ISO again, copy it to installation media again, or both. Keep doing it until the check succeeds.

In Linux, though you have a partition/device connected to the system, the file system is not accessible until you attach it to the root file tree. To access the file system, you mount it, or at least that’s what we call it because the command to do so is mount . You can use the “KDE Partition Manager” in “System Tools” to unmount your partitions and then everything should work correctly.

That are my partitions, they are ok for the installation? I did`nt delete the partition fat32 by fearing lose my DELL boot setup.

Presuming you want to install to /dev/mmcblk0p2 (the ext4 partition), you need to make sure to unmount it as I said. See the “mount point” column? That’s the problem. Otherwise, it looks like you have plenty of room on it and you should be good to go.

Now ive got no errors, the instalation finished sucessfully but… the system boot doesnt recognize the Lubuntu.

What does this mean exactly? It does not boot?

From the live-system, open a terminal and please share the output of:

sudo parted --list
sudo efibootmgr -v

lubuntu@lubuntu:~$ sudo parted --list
Model: SanDisk Cruzer Fit (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 4005MB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: msdos
Disk Flags:

Number Start End Size Type File system Flags
1 1049kB 4005MB 4003MB primary fat32 boot, lba

Model: MMC DF4032 (sd/mmc)
Disk /dev/mmcblk0: 31.3GB
Partition Table: gpt
Disk Flags:

Number Start End Size File system Name Flags
1 1049kB 525MB 524MB fat32 boot, esp
2 526MB 31.3GB 30.7GB ext4

Model: Unknown (unknown)
Disk /dev/zram1: 495MB
Sector size (logical/physical): 4096B/4096B
Partition Table: loop
Disk Flags:

Number Start End Size File system Flags
1 0.00B 495MB 495MB linux-swap(v1)

Error: /dev/mmcblk0boot0: unrecognised disk label
Model: Generic SD/MMC Storage Card (sd/mmc)
Disk /dev/mmcblk0boot0: 4194kB
Partition Table: unknown
Disk Flags:

Error: /dev/mmcblk0boot1: unrecognised disk label
Disk /dev/mmcblk0boot1: 4194kB
Disk Flags:

Model: Unknown (unknown)
Disk /dev/zram0: 495MB
Sector size (logical/physical): 4096B/4096B
Partition Table: loop
Disk Flags:

Number Start End Size File system Flags
1 0.00B 495MB 495MB linux-swap(v1)

ubuntu@lubuntu:~$ sudo efibootmgr -v
EFI variables are not supported on this system.

Your live-system is not booted in UEFI mode. Either you have changed the way to boot the live-system or you have no bootloader installed.

How did you create your live-stick? On Windows, I can recommend Rufus, on Linux I use dd.

I created the life-stick on windows with Rufus.

Indeed during the instalation i refused to install something like bootloader by fearing to lose my original DELL boot.

Now i will try to install with bootloader.

Also there’s clearly something wrong in your partitioning scheme as it seems like your boot got named boot but not given a boot flag or even a filesystem:

Error: /dev/mmcblk0boot1: unrecognised disk label
Disk /dev/mmcblk0boot1: 4194kB
Disk Flags:

Given you are a self-professed noob, why are you trying to do this complicated partitioning scheme? Just use the default erase disk option and save yourself the trouble.

I reinstalled with bootloader but still doesnt open ia the hard disk.
Changed to UEFI boot but it turns worse: doesnt open the live-stick lubuntu (it presents a black screen)
I will delete all partitions and install Lubunto again in that one general partition (unmounted).