No Network drives in LibreOffice

Hi, Network drives that are available in PCManFM and other applications don’t show up in LibreOffice’s “Open” Dialog. The dialog in LibreOffice is restricted to my home directory. This doesn’t happen to me in other 2204 Ubuntu flavors.
Best regards
Stefan

Two things.

You mention pcmanfm which is a LXDE app, modern Lubuntu uses LXQt and thus uses pcmanfm-qt which is a different program by the same author (PCMan); do you mean pcmanfm-qt ?

Further are you using the default Libreoffice, or have switched to a later version?

Ubuntu provides Libreoffice as deb package, plus snap package, with the snap packages running confined which provides added security, but also restricts programs to using files stored in $HOME, plus also /media/ and /mnt but not outside of those directories. All of Ubuntu Desktop & flavors are identical in this regard; using the same Ubuntu packaging options.

1 Like

Are you sure you’re not seeing the gtk3 fallback dialog in the other flavours ?
From what I can gather LibreOffice seems to use a QT plugin that doesn’t have that feature.

Can’t make head or tail of where the problem is. And other apps can call up the full file picker (e.g Brave, featherpad).

You can always choose another VCL;

Preferences > Settings > Session Settings > Environment
SAL_USE_VCLPLUGIN=gtk3 instead of qt5 (reboot)
This should use the gtk3 picker instead of the minimal qt5 one.

2 Likes

The snap issue sounds reasonable. I try to find out wich version I use.

Well - No, I am not sure wether I see the gtk3 fallback dialog. This might be the reason. Thank you.

After installing the snap store app with “sudo snap install snap-store” from the command line (because there was nothing available in muon) libreOffice was displayed as “installed” yet I couldn’t access the the confinement settings befor installing another version of LibreOffice. This version was finally listed in the /snap directory and had the Network access right out of the box.
Compared with the “wherever it comes from version” of Libre office it starts, like Firefox, with a delay wich is probably caused by the snap-“overhead”.
I wonder why the snap-store isn’t part of lubuntu distribution if it is so weaved in.
Anyway - Many thanks
Stefan

This topic was automatically closed 60 minutes after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

I could have provided you with how I’d look for packages which may have helped, alas it didn’t occur to me when I wrote the reply.

To list libreoff* deb packages I’d likely use

guiverc@d7050-next:~/uwn/issues/811$   dpkg -l |grep libreoff*
ii  libreoffice-base-core                          4:7.6.2-0ubuntu1                          amd64        office productivity suite -- shared library
ii  libreoffice-calc                               4:7.6.2-0ubuntu1                          amd64        office productivity suite -- spreadsheet
ii  libreoffice-common                             4:7.6.2-0ubuntu1                          all          office productivity suite -- arch-independent files

that isn’t a complete listing of what showed

alternatively

guiverc@d7050-next:~/uwn/issues/811$   dpkg -l libreof*
Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
| Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
|/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
||/ Name                                  Version          Architecture Description
+++-=====================================-================-============-==============================================================
un  libreoffice                           <none>           <none>       (no description available)
un  libreoffice-avmedia-backend-gstreamer <none>           <none>       (no description available)
un  libreoffice-avmedia-backend-vlc       <none>           <none>       (no description available)
un  libreoffice-base                      <none>           <none>       (no description available)
ii  libreoffice-base-core                 4:7.6.2-0ubuntu1 amd64        office productivity suite -- shared library
un  libreoffice-base-drivers              <none>           <none>       (no description available)
un  libreoffice-base-nogui                <none>           <none>       (no description available)
ii  libreoffice-calc                      4:7.6.2-0ubuntu1 amd64        office productivity suite -- spreadsheet
un  libreoffice-calc-nogui                <none>           <none>       (no description available)
ii  libreoffice-common                    4:7.6.2-0ubuntu1 all          office productivity suite -- arch-independent files

To list what snap packages I have installed; I’d likely have just used snap list (as I know I don’t have a lot of snap packages installed) but a more precise check would be

guiverc@d7050-next:~/uwn/issues/811$   snap list libre*
error: no matching snaps installed

The snap-store is provided by default on a Ubuntu 23.10 new install (manifest is here with snap packages listed at the bottom), but to my knowledge no flavor included it even with 23.10 (we didn’t), but it was a new app, so didn’t exist for 23.04 or earlier ISOs. I doubt it’ll be found on Ubuntu 22.04.4 LTS ISOs either (they’re yet to be released), but that’s always possible. For Lubuntu, the discover app store is our (Qt5) equivalent.

1 Like

This might explain why OP saw the Qt5 picker (libreoffice-qt5) as it is not included on a fresh install (not a dependency) but could be leftover from a previous version ?
If you un-install libreoffice-qt5, then it will fallback to gtk3 (regardless of SAL_USE_VCLPLUGIN=qt5).

The gtk3 picker does show mounted drives on the left column (only if the drives are mounted by pcmanfm-qt (gvfs)).

1 Like

Hi!
Your and humpty’s answers have made me look more closely at snaps. I think I now understand the basic idea and its advantages and disadvantages. Eventually I lost track of what I changed since the installation. So I reinstalled Lubuntu 22.04.03 LTS in a virtual machine.

• The issue with the display of LibreOffice help files in Firefox mentioned in “known issues” no longer exists.
  • smb network shares I opened with PCManFm-qt are offered in LXImage, for example, but not in LibreOffice (7.3.7.2).
    – When I install LibreOffice as snap, smb network shares are also displayed.
  • Discover" does not seem to have any settings for “confinements”.

I then installed Lubuntu version 23.10. It uses LibreOffice 7.6.2.1
After connecting to the smb network share I again see the network drive in LXImage but not in LibreOffice.
According to “Discover” neither LXImage nor LibreOffice is installed as “snap”.
I think if the Lubuntu distribution contains LibreOffice as default, you should be able to access network drives with it as with other applications, without any further adjustments. What do you think?
Many greetings
Stefan

Looking at the manifests, both 22.04.03 and 23.10 have libreoffice-qt5 installed. That’s why you see the qt5 picker.

Open a terminal and enter
SAL_USE_VCLPLUGIN=gtk3 libreoffice
and you’ll see the gtk3 picker with the same mounts as pcmanfm-qt.

In a nutshell, libreoffice-qt5 is optional for libreoffice. But it is included with the distro and it’s presence triggers libreoffice to use it.
Your options are

1. Stick with your snap version, or
  2. Use the command above, or
  3. Uninstall libreoffice-qt5.

Some more info;

$ apt-cache rdepends --installed libreoffice-qt5
libreoffice-qt5
Reverse Depends:
libreoffice-core
lubuntu-desktop

$ aptitude show libreoffice-core
Breaks:
libreoffice-qt5 (< 4:7.6.2-0ubuntu1), …

$ aptitude why libreoffice-qt5
i lubuntu-desktop Recommends libreoffice-qt5

1 Like

To make the SAL_USE_VCPLUGIN permanent, change the settings in the Environment (Advanced) section: see https://manual.lubuntu.me/stable/3/3.2/3.2.13/session_settings.html

Hi, thanks for your proposals.

1. OK
  2. In the fresh install with SAL_USE_VCLPLUGIN=gtk3 libreoffice the terminal gives me:
    Warning: failed to launch javaldx - java may not function correctly
  3. Uninstalling “libreoffice-qt5” in muon changed nothing

Concerning “Some more info”
Sorry, I am not experienced enough to be able to use this information.
All I can do as part of the community is report back that someone trying LibreOffice in Lubuntu can’t use it like this.
Frustrated greetings
Stefan

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.