No apt updates for over two weeks?

No apt updates for over two weeks?

Hi there,

I have noticed that sudo apt update has resulted in stating that All packages are up-to-date for a while now.

Having checked the Muon Package Manager GUI history, it confirms that there have been no updates since the 16th December 2020.

Is this the same for everyone else? I thought this is quite unusual as there is usually a constant flow of updates every few days.

My distro is Lubuntu 20.04 LTS focal.

Iā€™ve seen a number of these. Youā€™re yet another one that hasnā€™t had updates starting on the 17th. Try changing your mirrors.

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+archivemirrors

There are currently 150 instances of ā€˜unknownā€™ on that page. Iā€™ve mentioned it a couple of times on the AU site but I wouldnā€™t have even the slightest of clues where to report this and nobody seems to have picked up on the coincidence. I also suspect many folks also just havenā€™t noticed that theyā€™re not getting updates.

For the time being, pick a mirror that has been updated recently. Then, you should be able to run the update command and get the new updates. When the mirrors go back to ā€˜normalā€™ you can switch back if needed/desired.

4 Likes

Reporting it is to the ISP that has fallen asleep, but theyā€™ll often ignore tickets that arenā€™t from their own customers. At least thatā€™s my understanding.

I complain (raise ticket) with my ISP when they fall far behind (or have mucked up permissions which occurs). I donā€™t believe Canonical/Ubuntu have any sway; there is no contract/penalty (outside of reputation) involved.

(More mirrors reduce Canonicalā€™s (file-serving) cost; their only action as I understand it is to drop (or threaten to drop) the mirror from the list if the donā€™t rectify their issue).

This is FYI & maybe dated info also (though I doubt itā€™s changed).

2 Likes

The thing is, the various complaints that Iā€™ve noticed happen at/around the 17th being the last time they got an update. Changing the mirror seems to resolve this.

That theyā€™re all on the 17th is certainly a remarkable coincidence.

Iā€™ve seen one comment that indicated the attitude I think others have. It went something like, ā€œWell, itā€™s the holidays, so maybe there arenā€™t any updates.ā€

Except there are updates and have been updates since the 17th. In fact, you even commented in one such AU question - as memory serves.

So, I think thereā€™s something afoot and I have no idea who Iā€™d even report it to.

In hindsight, had I known, Iā€™d have kept better track of the questions regarding this. There have been at least a half-dozen mentioned here and there, with several on AU and one here and another on another forum I frequent. Theyā€™re all at/about the 17th of December.

Thatā€™s a remarkable coincidence. I canā€™t even begin to speculate why.

I too noticed several days without updates - but I changed my mirrors before this even started showing up on the forums. I figured it was just the one mirror being flaky.

Iā€™ve seen & noted the reports (AU & elsewhere, even UF) too, but to me itā€™s issues that occur every so often.

A normally reliable mirror falls behind (possibly an internal change is implemented) and users donā€™t notice all at once, but soon do notice & a flood of support queries occur. Mirror issue will resolve in my experience once bug report is raised; and support issues disappear (till next time, on different mirror).

Iā€™m involved with Ubuntu News, and Canonical made a change to the hosting of Ubuntu Fridgeā€¦ That site is mirrored on Ubuntu News, a process that is automatic & thus I (we?) pay little attention to itā€¦ As I login to fridge, thatā€™s where I tested the changeā€¦ but some-time later I noticed feeds on google are behind (they get it from ubuntu-news it turns out) ā€¦ issue is detected, and with luck will be fixed soon :slight_smile:

As I see it, this is an issue that props up 2-3 times a year, for different mirrors, and they resolve with time. Either the ISP notices (someone complains I suspect), or someone working at the company noticed. At times itā€™s quick, other times it takes weeks (if you looked, the Ubuntu News site is now 3 weeks behind Ubuntu Fridgeā€¦ I wish Iā€™d noticed that earlier & chased upā€¦ but it happens, and weā€™ll get there)

FYI: Thank you for your support efforts @KGIII

Additional Later thoughts: Itā€™s the same period of time as the Ubuntu Fridge/News changesā€¦ Iā€™m not a web person, so much of what I was told with regards changes being made by Canonical sailed way over my headā€¦ Itā€™s about the same time though (we [Ubuntu news Team] could schedule the when). Itā€™d be impacting MANY MANY mirrors if it was a Canonical change, so I suspect itā€™s still a ISP issue personally

2 Likes

Iā€™ve seen it for a day or two, but this is going on 2 weeks. Iā€™ve never (which is only one data point) seen it that long, but I have absolutely no idea how widespread it is. My hunch is that itā€™ll be fixed before too many people even notice. Thus my suggestion that they change their mirrors and then just switch 'em back whenever it blows over.

Iā€™m pretty sure someoneā€™ll notice and fix it! (I take that attitude with all sorts of stuff - itā€™s remarkably successful!) :rofl:

1 Like

I donā€™t suppose anyone knows if thereā€™s an online source where I can see the newest updated packages for Ubuntu?

Also, donā€™t try to edit stuff after youā€™ve had more than one or two glasses of wine.

1 Like

I honestly donā€™t know how ā€œaccurateā€ these guys are but I know of one site:
https://pkgs.org/

I googled this:
https://packages.ubuntu.com/

Also no idea if they update that for accuracyā€¦

Thanks. I know about that site and I could probably dig into it and find out. I hadnā€™t thought about that. I was hoping for something that had a list of updates issued on a day kinda thing, but I can do it with that link. It just takes some work, thanks.

Hi guys,

Thank you for all your comments.

I tried @KGIIIā€™s method of switching mirrors (via Software Sources), however, it still states that I am up to date. I switched to several up-to-date mirrors and mirrors that were a few hours behind from various different countries, but still no success.

Some of you mentioned that it could be a ISP issue? Would anyone be able to explain that or point me in the right direction for sources to find out?

Any help is much appreciated!

1 Like

I work with the Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter, the last issue has a very clear

Security Updates

No activity this period.

A single mutter update was listed for that week for focal/20.04, but if you donā€™t have mutter installed you wonā€™t have had that.

There were more the week before (UWN #622), but you can check yourself (itā€™s a weekly publication).

The latest release usually has the most updates (thatā€™s groovy/20.10, of course ignoring development/hirsute). Older stable releases get fewer generally (only back-ported security updates)

packages.ubuntu.com is accurate, and a great source (you can search it from terminal too, but as I often find myself using the Changelog thatā€™s found online), but if it worries you, you can always scan the Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter at the Ubuntu Fridge / UbuntuForums / wiki & other places where itā€™s posted.

In the end, we all need to check it ourselves, as we tend to change the packages we have installed. Yes I used to like using a different method of checking what updates occurred, but working on UWN since 2015 means I didnā€™t need it, and no longer remember it, so sorry @KGIII (we collect up & publish itā€¦ if you want to know our source, have a look at the UWN scripts for our sources).

4 Likes

Thank you, @guiverc.

So it appears there just hasnā€™t been any updates over the two week period. I guess developers need some time off too, haha.

Thank you to you and the others for all your help!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 minutes after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.