MFCJ5320DW printer on 18.04.5

I am running 18.04.5 on a Toshiba Satellite and trying to connect a Brother MFCJ5320DW printer. I have got step by step instructions from Brother as follows

1. Press (Settings)>All Settings>Network.> WLAN > TCP/IP > IP Address

Once this website has been confirmed loaded.

Secondly: Ensure that CUPS (Common UNIX Printing System) is enabled on your Linux distribution

By Opening a webpage and typing: http://localhost:631/ and hitting enter.

If the CUPS website doesn’t load, please visit https://ubuntu.com/server/docs/service-cups to assist with enabling it.

Thirdly: Install the Driver Install Tool from our site:

https://support.brother.com/g/b/downloadhowto.aspx?c=gb&lang=en&prod=mfcj5320dw_eu_as&os=128&dlid=dlf006893_000&flang=4&type3=625

Then follow the installation steps:

Step1. Download the tool.(linux-brprinter-installer-..-.gz)

The tool will be downloaded into the default “Download” directory.
(The directory location varies depending on your Linux distribution.)
e.g. /home/(LoginName)/Download

Step2. Open a terminal window.

Step3. Go to the directory you downloaded the file to in the last step. By using the cd command.

e.g. cd Downloads

Step4. Enter this command to extract the downloaded file:

Command: gunzip linux-brprinter-installer-..-.gz

e.g. gunzip linux-brprinter-installer-2.1.1-1.gz

Step5. Get superuser authorization with the “su” command or “sudo su” command.

Step6. Run the tool:

Command: bash linux-brprinter-installer-..- Brother machine name
e.g. bash linux-brprinter-installer-2.1.1-1 MFC-J880DW

Step7. The driver installation will start. Follow the installation screen directions.

When you see the message “Will you specify the DeviceURI ?”,

For USB Users: Choose N(No)
For Network Users: Choose Y(Yes) and DeviceURI number.

The install process may take some time. Please wait until it is complete. The ip address is showing on printer as 0.0.0.0 and when I get to the gunzip linux-brprinter-installer-2.1.1-1.gz I get 'only root can perform this.
After getting live support from Brother and repeating the message on screen says 'unable to find file or directory.
Can anyone help?

As a note for clarity, the actual file is gunzip linux-brprinter-installer-2.2.2-2.gz not -2.1.1-1.gz as stated above
Thanks

Lubuntu 18.04 LTS is end-of-life with regards Lubuntu.

Please refer https://lubuntu.me/bionic-eol/

Being a flavor of Ubuntu, it came with 3 years of supported life, which ended 30 April, 2021 (it was released on 27 April 2018).

You can still try Ubuntu Forums, or Ask Ubuntu for support (but risk reminders your release is EOL as five years of support applies only to your Ubuntu base system).

1 Like

What are the hardware requirements for 20.04.3?
Does it need a bigger CPU, hard drive etc?

Lubuntu no longer provide minimum hardware specifications, but to me the question made little sense anyway.

Lubuntu 18.04 LTS & prior releases using the LXDE desktop which used the GTK2 toolkit which was light (but with limitations, no capacity for scaling or anything needed today with HiDPI screens etc). PCMan or the creator of pcmanfm the file-manager of LXDE (which also handles much of the LXDE desktop too) ported pcmanfm to GTK3 & blogged on how much heavier it was, thus he tried using Qt5 & noted it was much lighter - thus the new port of pcmanfm-qt5 & LXDE devs joining with Razor-Qt creating the then new LXQt desktop.

That’s history you likely knew about; but key is the switch to Qt5 from GTK2 means the LXQt desktop will be lightest if Qt5 apps are used (the lightness ~lost when GTK2 or GTK3 apps are lost). LXDE had no benefit with GTK3 apps anyway; as it needed GTK2 libs for the desktop itself, plus GTK3 libs needed for apps meaning multiple libraries/toolkits that did the same thing existed in memory at the same time… Anyway my point is you control how much RAM is required by the apps you choose!

The lowest resource device I currently use in QA-testing Lubuntu releases is

lenovo thinkpad sl510 (c2d-t6570, 2gb ram, i915)

On that device I’d for sure have swap enabled, and use more than the default offered by Lubuntu 21.04’s calamares; but that’s just my opinion. I have lower spec’d CPUs I use in QA-testing, but they all have >2GB of RAM and I see that machine is limited because of it’s available RAM.

FYI: I tested Lubuntu 18.10 & 19.04 with LXQt using devices with 1GB & 1.5GB of RAM; but switched to 2GB when only amd64 ISOs were produced. Yes I still use 1GB ram laptops; but how I use them differs greatly to this desktop with 8GB of ram.

FYI: Qt5 is the same toolkit used by KDE, however LXQt doesn’t require KF5 which is assumed by the KDE desktop and thus many KDE apps, so whilst KDE apps are light they may not be the lightest choice if a non-KF5 required choice exists.

Do you need a bigger CPU - Nope.
Do you need a bigger drive - Nope.

How much RAM you require, depends entirely on how you’ll use it, especially app choice, in my opinion.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.