LXQt Session Settings -> Autostart Applications?

Hiya!

So I was trying to find a similar application to the “Startup Applications” in Ubuntu and found “LXQt Session Settings” (Preferences → LXQt Settings → Session Settings).

Under Autostart screen, I selected ‘brightness-controller’ which is the application I want to autostart on login, but without success. Take a look at the screenshot below:

The entire command is /usr/bin/brightness-controller.

Why is it not working?

This probably won’t help much but out of curiosity, does the command even work when you run it via terminal? I am not very familiar with this utility so I’m not really sure how it’s supposed to work.

Yes, the command “usr/bin/brightness-controller” works on the terminal.

Why is it not starting up on login?

Since this is not a package in the repositories but in a PPA (and thus unsupported), I would contact the provider of that PPA. The behavior is rather inexplicable, as I can easily set up an entry similar to yours that opens QTerminal without problems.

3 Likes

Maybe something isn’t ready.
Try a delay like
sleep 3s && /usr/bin/brightness-controller
or
sleep 3s; /usr/bin/brightness-controller

Trying the command “sleep” before the application?

Will try that and give feedback later.

Thanks.

Neither commands worked. :frowning:

Does anybody else have any ideas?

What is this /usr/bin/brightness-controller? Where does it come from? What should it do?

I’m not surprised to see this blowing up on && or ;. It’s looking for a command (read: singular, not plural). Throw it all in a script and call the script. Solved.

This application sounds like it might be a system tray application so you may need to tick the “wait for system tray” box so that the application waits for the system tray to fully start first.
screenshot-20ab1bb2

2 Likes

Thanks will try that and give feedback!

2 Likes

Just tried but it didn’t work.

Is it too difficult to create a script?

#!/usr/bin/env bash

sleep 3s
/usr/bin/brightness-controller

…Apparently not.

1 Like

Sorry but I am a beginner.

How do I go about creating a script in Lubuntu?

Put the above in a file. Give it execute permissions (chmod +x or use the right click menu in the file manager). Then when you want to call it, call it by its full path. So if you put it in your home folder, you would call /home/<your-username>/<filename>. Example: your username is bob and the filename is foobar; use /home/bob/foobar.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.